Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Baikal 46M grip is loose
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:33 pm 

Has anyone else had this problem? No matter how tight the grip bolts are there is still play when I cock the pistol.
I thought the bolts were loosening but after running fishing line throw the threaded grip bracket I could hardly screw in the bolts and it's unlikely they've loosened. Any ideas?
Thanks,
--Ed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:41 pm 

Mine never had that problem, but then I only used the factory grip for a few months, and even then with such heavy modifications inside and out that it wasn't going to come loose. Changed the method of securing it and added a function for adjusting the rake angle... using the factory grip as a prototype for a custom grip made of maple. The custom grip never comes loose either as it's secured with a cross-bolt then an angle adjusting bolt.

But if you don't want to get into modifications to the grip you could try a bit of aluminum muffler tape wrapped around the aluminum grip 'frame' piece. Woods shrink over time. It could easily be that the wood has shrunk away from this little extended portion of the frame. I suggest aluminum tape as it is very thin and very stable, where use of masking tapes or duct tape would probably be too much or just get gummed up over time. Add a layer wherever it seems not to be making contact, test it, keep adding if necessary until it's solid while cocking.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:10 pm 

Sounds good. So the grip wood must be tight on to the grip frame to assist the bolts otherwise they're not up to the task alone. I like your idea to use aluminum tape to fill the gap and will try that first. I also thought of using wood glue to fill the gap as it will not stick to the aluminum grip frame especially if it has a light coat of oil. What do you think of that alternative?
Thanks,
--Ed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:04 pm 

Might take quite a long time to cure, as wood glues depend on evaporation to dry. Might rust your bolts as well, and of course with drying wood glues shrink so that leaves gaps. If I were going to a glue for such a job I'd use an epoxy putty, putting a thin rubbed-on layer of aluminum foil around the frame part first which would then bond to the epoxy putty, making it clean for removal. Just don't try to cram too much in there and clamp it shut or you may crack the wood. Thin, even spreading works nicely. JB Weld would work, but you'd want to let a small amount cure for 90 minutes or a bit longer, testing for thickening, then when it's not too runny but still sticky paint it onto the inside wood surfaces and close it up with the bolts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:18 pm 

Mine did the same years ago, about a year or so after i got it, i did pretty much what Gerard suggested, i used paper "wedges", same idea though and it has been good ever since.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:43 pm 

Thanks Gerard the aluminum tape worked like a charm. It hasn't helped my shooting any though lol.

--Ed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:43 pm 

Yeah, sadly only a lot of training can get the scores up. I tried too hard, managed to injure my right arm at the shoulder and elbow along with some tendon problems. So my 10m pistol mostly sits idle waiting for me to get strong enough to try again, more carefully next time around, and meanwhile I try to keep my eye and trigger finger sharp with FT rifle. But a rock solid pistol is one less thing to distract, and distractions kill scores. You have one fewer excuses!