Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:56 pm 

Using a cut-off wheel in a Dremel to carefully cut a slot into the breech screw head will save you a headache sometime down the road. That tiny Allen recess is just so, so easy to strip, even when being quite modest about how tight one makes it. I'd heard of the problem so the first time taking mine apart I stuck the little screw in a vise and cut a slot. Never been a problem since and it's one less tiny Allen key to worry about finding when I want to open it up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:03 pm 
Joolz wrote:
I seen some kits in metric that comes with 1.27mm and the next size up is 2mm. Any chance you or anyone else could try the 2mm on the trigger screw to see if it fits? I'd much prefer to buy a metric set.

Well I'm a mechanic so I'll say use the right tool for the job.

Smallest key on my metric CT special multi allen key set is a 1.5mm it would work but there's some play. You can feel it want to slip. No other sizes of allen keys work on my 1377. But I do have a 13/22 series screw set so check the grub screw and a 2mm would work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:53 am 

Joolz wrote:
Correct, it lost all of the CO2 upon it being pierced. Guess this means it would be the two bottom gaskets in the pic that Robert posted?
I was in the process of gathering tools for the teardown, lots of vids on youtube and it seems like a snap compared to tearing down the QB78. But don't have a very tiny allen key to remove the 3 bolts that hold the trigger plate in place. Don't suppose it's necessary to remove the plate anyway in order to access the valve huh?
Plan to still disassemble it tonight to look around and see what's needed. Thanks for the help.

Edit: just seen H2P's post before posting this. Let this be a warning to all out there: no one hacks things 2 pieces like him. DO NOT send this nuts gun surgeon your guns!

hey the voices in my head say that im not nuts :axe: AND im more of a gun mortician then a surgeon!

PS- If ya do mess up the breech screw let me know and i will send you a new one ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:37 am 
Hacked2Pieces wrote:
Joolz wrote:
Correct, it lost all of the CO2 upon it being pierced. Guess this means it would be the two bottom gaskets in the pic that Robert posted?
I was in the process of gathering tools for the teardown, lots of vids on youtube and it seems like a snap compared to tearing down the QB78. But don't have a very tiny allen key to remove the 3 bolts that hold the trigger plate in place. Don't suppose it's necessary to remove the plate anyway in order to access the valve huh?
Plan to still disassemble it tonight to look around and see what's needed. Thanks for the help.

Edit: just seen H2P's post before posting this. Let this be a warning to all out there: no one hacks things 2 pieces like him. DO NOT send this nuts gun surgeon your guns!

hey the voices in my head say that im not nuts :axe: AND im more of a gun mortician then a surgeon!

PS- If ya do mess up the breech screw let me know and i will send you a new one ;)

I always hack up the stock Flathead, Robertson grip to main tube screws. Being cannot get a screw driver square on it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:09 pm 

Update:
Bought a proper .05" key, works nicely. Don't expect any problems with this screw, looks like it was never removed before.
However, upon taking off the tube I see that the transfer port and its O'ring are missing. Looks like someone did a hack job to this gun, probably one of Hacked2Pieces' interns. It's no wonder the CO2 escaped in a hurry.

This and:

They also lost the flathead screw that holds the valve in the tube. Valve was being held in place just by the force of the spring behind it. Surprised it even managed to pierce the CO2 canister. Opened up the valve, it looks pretty decent inside, seals seem to be in good condition. Looks like other than the missing parts, it ought to work.

Hacked2Pieces wrote:

I'll take you up on your offer, if it also applies to the valve screw. And I'll gladly pay for the transfer port and o'ring, if you happen to have these too. If you no one else has these to spare, is my only bet contacting Crosman directly?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:26 pm 
Joolz wrote:
Update:
Bought a proper .05" key, works nicely. Don't expect any problems with this screw, looks like it was never removed before.
However, upon taking off the tube I see that the transfer port and its O'ring are missing. Looks like someone did a hack job to this gun, probably one of Hacked2Pieces' interns. It's no wonder the CO2 escaped in a hurry.

This and:

They also lost the flathead screw that holds the valve in the tube. Valve was being held in place just by the force of the spring behind it. Surprised it even managed to pierce the CO2 canister. Opened up the valve, it looks pretty decent inside, seals seem to be in good condition. Looks like other than the missing parts, it ought to work.

Hacked2Pieces wrote:

I'll take you up on your offer, if it also applies to the valve screw. And I'll gladly pay for the transfer port and o'ring, if you happen to have these too. If you no one else has these to spare, is my only bet contacting Crosman directly?

Did they disclose to your that these parts were missing? Sounds like a very honest scammer.

You would needed to take the breach screw out in order to remove the transfer port and seal. Thus it was removed and or forgotten to put back in.

Im waiting on parts from Kim so I don't have a spare transfer port to give. Also dont got a 2240 screw to match to the one you need. Because I would give you the port off my 1377, screw Kim sent me and a seal.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:29 pm 

Joolz wrote:
If you no one else has these to spare, is my only bet contacting Crosman directly?

Ask to Eric at http://scopesandammo.com, he keeps spare parts for many Crosman models.

Or you can look at the Gravel Agency online store if they have the parts you are looking for in stock: http://store.onlinecamp.com/en/parts/crosman.html?&limit=72.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:36 pm 
I would contact Eric, I asked for a pericing knob for my 2240 project I'm building and it was only 7$ He might be able to get your just the seal but sounds like that gun needs a full rebuild.

I cannot see the part being all that expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:42 pm 

Joolz wrote:
Update:

This and:

Hacked2Pieces wrote:

let me know what all you need and i will see what ive got for ya (im sure i have a valve screw for ya and the breech screw) ;) Eric is the man to go to if all else fails, Crosman wont ship to Canada (unless they changed?) but Gravel agency is their "go to" up here...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:25 pm 

PM sent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:33 pm 

As usual, the nuts-n-bolts surgeon, gun mortician, parts-hacking monster that's Hacked-2-Pieces came through and is setting me up with all the parts I need to get this 2240 running. Thanks a bunch, H2P. You just made my weekend.

Only thing left will be the stock grips but I hope to land these locally, someone in town ought to have a pair they can sell me. Or I may just go fancy and look for a wood set. Either way, will worry about this and a paint job once I get it shooting.

Will update once I get the parts. Thanks to all for the assistance so far.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:47 pm 

Glad to be of some use :twisted: now back to the chopping block i got to repair another victim, i mean patient :axe:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:15 pm 

Nice to see you taking the plunge and rebuilding the gun. You will learn more about it that way. The down side of course, is that you " will " become addicted to the 2240 and potential mod,s.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:55 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
Nice to see you taking the plunge and rebuilding the gun. You will learn more about it that way. The down side of course, is that you " will " become addicted to the 2240 and potential mod,s.

X2!!! sadly i dont think they rehab for our addiction 8) lol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:35 pm 
Hacked2Pieces wrote:
joe hickey wrote:

X2!!! sadly i dont think they rehab for our addiction 8) lol

Just this week I got parts from Kim ( making a home made 1740 ) ordered a RVA and some parts to complete a project,Bought some airgun mounts, made a new range, upgraded my trap, bought a new Chrony and buying a 22 cal pellet gun. I just joined less than a week ago. Where to I sign up for this Airgun Addictions?