Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:17 pm 

Hi all !

I'm new here and I need some help to recover a old air rifle I got from my father ( He buy it 35 years ago ).
The air rifle don't shoot anymore with the same power the before. I many things like stretch the mainspring , putting
some washer in the bottom of the cylinder to get the mainspring more compressed ... nothing working very well.
I don't know the brand of the air rifle but I attach some photos of the rifle dissasembled. If anyone can give me some trick to tune it and get it back to it's strenght of before ( I don't know exactly it's fps of before but now propable not more than 200fps ) and stronger.

What I plan to do base on some video and website I see:
- Red heat the mainspring , reshape it and heat temper it ... or just Buy a stronger mainspring
- add shime because mainspring is a bit loose in the cylinder and spring guide.
- add grease on the spring
- leather piston seal seam to work fine .... but buying a polyurethane one is a good idea ?

Suggestions about what I can do and not do ?

*** sorry for my poor english ***

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:08 pm 

I'm sure it can be fixed up. You'll probably need a new main seal, new breech seal, and if you want more power then a new spring too.
I wouldn't bother heat treating that spring because for one you'll screw it up unless you've done that sort of work before, and two is even if you are a professional spring heat treater it'll still never compare to a new aftermarket spring.
If you post the measurements of the seals and spring I can tell you what stuff I'm aware of that might fit. Unless you know where to buy the actual seals for that gun. The spring I'm thinking aftermarket but need that springs dimensions, the guide rod OD and piston ID.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:51 am 

Chevota wrote:
I'm sure it can be fixed up. You'll probably need a new main seal, new breech seal, and if you want more power then a new spring too.
I wouldn't bother heat treating that spring because for one you'll screw it up unless you've done that sort of work before, and two is even if you are a professional spring heat treater it'll still never compare to a new aftermarket spring.
If you post the measurements of the seals and spring I can tell you what stuff I'm aware of that might fit. Unless you know where to buy the actual seals for that gun. The spring I'm thinking aftermarket but need that springs dimensions, the guide rod OD and piston ID.

Thanks for the answer Chevota ! I just trying to find my caliper to take measurements of the piston/cylinder. Did you think it's possible to get more then 490fps from this riffle and get it legally approuved by the Canadian authority ? I have all my permits for firearm .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:57 am 

Check this thread:

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.ca/20 ... -part.html

you can also google it for the info. Parts should be easily available consider conversion kit from leather to synthetic from Vortek.

TC and good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:07 pm 

One of the member here on the forum, Scorps TarieliScorps, is currently rebuilding one of these rifles. He's Georgian and speaks Russian, but maybe he could help :?: .

topic71842.html

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:32 pm 

Sorry for long time without news.
I finally buy a new caliper. Here is the spring and cylinder measurements:

Spring:
Coil wire diameter: 2.86mm
Coil turns : 31
Coil outer diameter : 18.70mm
Spring guide ( shaft insert in the spring): 11.68mm

Piston:
Inner diameter ( where the spring insert ) : 20.18mm
Outer diameter : 24.86mm

Cylinder:

Inner diameter: 25.05

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:44 am 

Im currently on number 2 of the ij22's, a phantom/quest seal is a good alternative to the leather and readily available and i think one of the phantom or quest springs were almost identical aswell but i could be wrong on that :? Nice rifles, I'm missing a couple of the stock screws if anyone has a source or dimensions? ;)
For a smoother shooter i polished the contact surfaces on the piston, did the usual deburr everywhere and trigger contact touch ups, dont know the trigger pull weight but its definitely much smoother then stock...

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:58 pm 

Call or send an email to D&L Airgun with all your measurements, they have a bunch of utility springs, they may be able to find one that fits your need.

https://www.dlairgun.com/Contact.html

https://www.dlairgun.com/Accessories/Utility/001_Airgun_Mainsprings.html