Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: 2240 repainted
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:27 pm 

Thanks to a member here that supplied me with the missing parts I now have this guy shooting strong. While in pieces I decided to give it a paint job (this is what it looked like before: topic71747.html )
Had considered shiny white but opted for flat black instead. Don't like the stock shiny black, makes the gun look aged imo. Still not sure how to treat the band and still to do a couple of small areas. Looks like a new gun now. Hope the 3 coats will hold up. If not, it's easy enough to maintain and paint is dirt cheap.
Has anyone else painted theirs?
Now that it looks so much better and has passed the shooting test the idea of turning it into a lego project isn't too far off my mind.

Attachments:
2240-repainted-1.jpg
2240-repainted-1.jpg [ 91.34 KiB | Viewed 964 times ]
2240-repainted-2.jpg
2240-repainted-2.jpg [ 90.5 KiB | Viewed 964 times ]
2240-repainted-3.jpg
2240-repainted-3.jpg [ 68.45 KiB | Viewed 964 times ]

Post subject: Re: 2240 repainted
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:29 pm 

Nice job, looks much better than when you had it! As for the barrel band, if it's pot metal, a member here on the forum had good results with cold bluing (saw that some months ago, just don't remember when and who exactly).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:55 pm 

My 2240 was camo'd for a year or so. But when it kind of imploded and I had to swap some stuff over to the 2260 for FT last month, I decided to rebuild/improve the 2240 for my boy to use. Weird little stock, but it works for a9 year old. Better fit for him than his Baikal 61. He didn't want camouflage so I did a halfway lazy job scraping that off and blasted it with some metallic blue, gild for the grip. He loves it. Go figure kids, eh? It matches a sword I carved him from plum wood a couple of years back and painted from the same cans. It's his pew pew now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:41 pm 

airmec wrote:
Nice job, looks much better than when you had it! As for the barrel band, if it's pot metal...

Thanks, the original look had to go. I may be a purist but I also have a sensitive stomach. Glad I didn't opt for the glossy white. Would have been an interesting take on the 2240 and would make it look more like a toy (it's all about customization, right?). But I was concerned with potential glare affecting aiming with the open sights. The flat black has plenty of sheen to it, works really well I think.
The band is made of aluminum. Still contemplating leaving it as is, for that bit of a break in the colour. As you know, spray-painting these - even with a coat of a primer first - would inevitably lead to a very short lifespan, as scratches would appear almost immediately. Then again it does look a bit on the ghetto side as is so we'll see.

GerardSamija wrote:
My 2240 was camo'd for a year or so.

Yeah, don't think camo goes on a 2240. Not every gun can pull off camo. And wow that's a lot of gun for a 9yo. I still can't believe how loud mine is and how hard it hits. May have to keep on expanding that stock as he grows. Btw that is one cool take on the tube. What does it take, 1 new CO2 cart + 2 used ones? Or do you have some sort of a rod that pushes it in all the way? Looks a bit front-end heavy but also looks pretty stable given the size.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:58 pm 
Looks great..

But looks like your barrel isn't sitting on the transfer port correctly. Looks like its bowing right around there. There is not a even gap between the main tube and barrel.

Loosen the band and breech screw and fiddle with it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:33 pm 

Yes, I did notice that and am glad you can confirm it. But wasn't sure since it's my first time tinkering with a 2240 and don't have another for comparison. I suspect the issue is with the home made transfer port setup. I was sent the a piece of tubing instead of the original o'ring and it was sitting a bit high. Will just trim it down with a knife and that should resolve it. Guess having the barrel sitting as is won't do my aiming much good.
Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:35 pm 

Joolz wrote:
Btw that is one cool take on the tube. What does it take, 1 new CO2 cart + 2 used ones? Or do you have some sort of a rod that pushes it in all the way? Looks a bit front-end heavy but also looks pretty stable given the size.

It's a HiPAC with an extension. Runs high pressure air. Currently set up for 43 good shots down from a 2,500psi fill. Total weight is exactly 4lbs. My son's in his third year with karate so he's finding strength enough to hold it... though he tends to be a lazy shooter and prefers to rest it on a stool, or at least with elbows on knees. Haven't managed to persuade him to shoot standing yet. But he had a blast shooting it today, nailed his furthest target at 62 metres, a metal oval about 3" x 7". Lots of holdover. Chairgun really helps with that.

This is what it used to look like:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:40 pm 
Joolz wrote:
Yes, I did notice that and am glad you can confirm it. But wasn't sure since it's my first time tinkering with a 2240 and don't have another for comparison. I suspect the issue is with the home made transfer port setup. I was sent the a piece of tubing instead of the original o'ring and it was sitting a bit high. Will just trim it down with a knife and that should resolve it. Guess having the barrel sitting as is won't do my aiming much good.
Thanks for the heads up.

It just might leak.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:56 am 

Took off a couple of mm and it now sits properly - with no leaks! Getting 40 good shots out of a co2. Again, thanks for pointing that out.

Gun has an amazing trigger and it appears to be all stock. Great accuracy too, despite the oversized fibre optics. And you were right, the peep hole does not work well in this gun. Thankfully it has a blade for rear sights, not fibre optics. Will experiment later with adding a thin post to the front.
Really like the looks of your franken1740. Are the grips you'll be sending me similar to these? Couldn't find the pic you posted earlier that showed the grips Kim sent you. Either way, will be happy to get those off you as I see no use for the shoulder stock, other than it being handy for my lil guy to shoot, in a year or so. Please PM me your email so I can send you an EMT.

Gerard, I take it back: that camo looks great on your 2240. I had envisioned the more typical desert camo that seems to be the painting scheme of choice nowadays, which I just don't think would go with a 2240.
Your 9yo hit a small target at 62m?? It's no wonder he's stoked bout it. I know I would be.
Think it's great he's taking interest in the sport. My hope is that my guys will too but in a world with so many distractions, who knows what they'll find to be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:15 pm 

Indeed, distractions... we're struggling to tame our boy's Youtube addiction. Last night he cried about it before sleeping, as he's getting worried too about the division in his own mind between knowing he's virtually helpless in his need to watch Minecraft playthroughs and the like, and his desire to 'not think' while doing so. He's afflicted with a busy mind... something his papa and his papa's papa found difficult before him. Shooting helps settle that out a little but we don't have many opportunities to get out to the range. For a few years I shot 10 metre pistol and certainly found that useful as a mind-calming meditative sort of practice. Perhaps I will again, not sure yet, but there's so much else to get done...

As for his marksmanship - that long shot was a one-off, doubt he could do it again in ten tries. But he did solidly take out 5 rams in a row at 29 metres from resting on his tripod folding stool. For a guy as twitchy as he is that impressed me. It's taken a half-dozen trips out to Mission for FT to get this far. By the end of this year's shoots he'll be able to shoot standing with some consistency. All I have to figure out is how to get him wanting to try, then pride will take over and he'll keep at it until he's got it nailed.

As for the painting; I've found out a few things in my various spray bomb efforts:

- Krylon sprays are probably the most reliable, and after a week or more of curing most durable of the cheap and dirty paints. The satin clear coat is useful for making a durable top coat, 2 or 3 layers making it possible to later wash the surface with a damp cloth and not damage the paint.

- Thin plastic or stiff paper cutouts are great for generating patterns - direct spraying for camo just looks cheap and ugly. I like a series of several 'grass blades' best for rendering various angles of patterning.

- Rustoleum textured spray is tougher than the Krylon or other hardware store versions. Really strong after a week or so, making a nice base for whatever colours over it. This 2240 used the Krylon version and it was too weak, easily scraped off. My Brocock Atomic's finish is much tougher.

- For a really durable finish, nothing I've tried beats Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy, baked. Good surface prep, cleaning with acetone, preheating the parts to uncomfortably hot to the touch then light quick coats with minimum 20 minutes of baking at about 275F or a bit hotter before coating again. Light buffing between coats with fine sandpaper or 0000 steel wool to remove imperfections. The finished coat at 3 layers with baking about 30 minutes as high as 325F gives such a tough finish it's almost like a proper appliance finish. Slightly easier to chip than a washing machine or stove, but not by much. Unfortunately only available in silver, white or black, and the finish is glossy, no matte possible.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:34 pm 

That's hilarious, my boys love watching utube on Minecraft too. Some guy from Australia or NZ who does a nice job making these playthrough videos. So yeah, I know much too well about your concerns. We have the same problem here which often leads us to pull the plug when we feel they've spent too much time and the zombie look appears on their faces. This doesn't happen with the actual game. Although I cannot grasp the fascination kids have with Minecraft (I simply cannot understand what they see in it) it does provide for a very friendly playtime between the two boys. Very neat to see them collaborating and playing so nice together. That's the difference between "youtube" Minecraft and the actual game: their brains have to work playing the game, whereas the dumb tube has their minds wandering. Our kids don't care to watch TV and they only rarely watch a cartoon in Netflix, despite it being there for them. For this I'm grateful. Videogames does offer some value compared to traditional viewing and seeing my boys collaborate while playing is far better than having their brains idle while watching TV.

And that's the struggle we face on a daily basis, how to encourage them to play outside instead of sitting on their bums. Glad to report we're making progress in that area. Partially due to scare tactics, such as explaining to them that sitting on their bums too long will make them fat. Same tactic we use to keep them from drinking pop or venturing into a Mcdonalds. Other than when they're playing Minecraft they love their gun games, like call of duty. Again, these keep their minds occupied get them to think fast and react - a far cry from watching the dumb tube. At least till we kick them outside to play.

Your guy seems to be well into enjoying the sport and as you know, the last thing you want to do is to try and force it into him (best way to get them to lose interest). It is those precious rare moments that may get their interest up, like when your guy hit that target at 62m. I'm sure it will go long ways towards keeping him interested, fluke or not. Just as I was pleased when my guy hit those targets he drew himself. That's why I try to keep it fun for them, in hopes their interest will continue to grow. With summer coming and a friend's farm waiting for us, it'll be a good time to make a few fun targets for him to shoot up. We have lots of those large drawing chalks that I suppose will be fun for him to blast.

Good tips on the painting, I resorted to acrylic enamel cause I had used it recently on my SUV's tire rack and quite liked the look of it. Asked for the flat topcoat but they only had the glossy, so I passed. Due to this I don't expect mine to last. In fact there are already faint scratches around the band area, unsurprisingly. I also contemplated baking the pieces in the oven to speed up the curing process but wasn't sure what temp/for how long. Will use your guide here for the next time. Like I said, this was a quick attempt at improving the looks of the gun as I simply could not stand it. Only thing I wish is that the band was made of copper, as it would nicely match the bolt. Still hesitant to spray-paint the band as I know it won't last. Nonetheless, really glad I painted it while waiting for the parts to arrive. Oh and fyi the only place CO2 was escaping from was the transfer port, since one wasn't there. Since I paid the equivalent to the shoulder stock for the whole thing, a bargain for a gun that is working perfectly fine. And even looks good.