Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Marauder tuning Q.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:05 am 

Any experienced Marauder tuners out there? I got my Gen 1 Marauder a few weekends ago and was finally able to sneak away from work and family duties for an epic 6 hour range test. :D I setup the chrony and worked on tuning by adjusting the hammer spring and hammer throw settings. I didn't get it to where I want to be, but learning the workings and inter-dependencies of the adjustments was enjoyably perplexing. LOL

My question is... does adjustment of the valve meter screw have any effect on the efficiency of air use/flatness of the velocity/shot string? Or in other words, can I simply open the air metering valve full for max. velocity (4 - 4 1/2 turns out CCW from full stop) and do all my tuning with the hammer spring / throw adjustments? My guess is that the valve will only affect velocity (and therefore could be used to fine tune) but because it manages air that has already been released it would have no effect on the efficiency of that release. Thoughts? If I can eliminate one variable, or at least delegate it to the fine tuning stage at a later date, that would really help.

Post subject: Re: Marauder tuning Q.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:42 am 

Good Morning,
So I have a gen 1 Marauder and have modified it with a regulator and a LW barrel and love it. Accuracy without these was a bit erratic at times.
The tuning procedures here <https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8TulutA1DY9U1phdWpBNWluckk/edit?pli=1> are from Ray and Hans Apelles who were part of the development of the Marauder and for several years used their modified Marauders in Field Target comps.
I think that it will go into the depth that you are looking for and explain how all three work together.
Best of luck!
--Sean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:19 pm 

I also have the Gen1 M'rod and this is most useful information. The understanding of the relationship between the components that individually offer some adjustments are now much clearer and can provide improved performance and 'CONSISTENCY' beyond the 'stock' calibration settings.
Thank you for the info.
Cheers!

Hawk-i

KRAL Puncher .177
S.A.G AR2078-B Match .177
Weihrauch HW50S .117
FAS 6004
Webley Hurricane
Weihrauch HW45 SS .22
Daisy Avanti 747
Artemis PP700S-A
'HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:24 pm 

I had read stuff about the A-Team tuning procedure but hadn't seen the complete instructions. This will help me a lot. Thanks, Sean!

I have read that the .22 Marauder barrel are a gamble. Is replacing it with a LW barrel a do it yourself type project or is a gunsmith needed?

Also, what regulator did you go with?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:08 am 

I got mine through Jim Gaska, MarmotMilitia.com. His process was to have you purchase the barrel and send it to him as he doesn't keep them in stock any more.
I think the barrel was $120 US and Jim's services were about the same.

I have the Robert Lane regulator. You have to drill a hole in your pressure tube is the only thing that is scary. If you drill it in the wrong place you need a new tube. But his regulator has never had issues. I get more shots per fill and they're all within +-4 fps. Tuning then becomes easy as you don't have to worry about a bell curve with the pressure against the valve. The pressure then becomes constant so you tune to that pressure. He did say, though, that tuning a Marauder to be <= 12 ft/lbs is very challenging. He is very willing to talk about what needs to be done, though. He has a youtube channel that is very detailed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:04 am 

I'm tuning for hunting (i.e. max velocity balanced with best accuracy). # shots per fill is not critical, as I have a tank don't need to be far from the truck to find targets.

I'm going to tune my Marauder as it is and see how the accuracy works out. As long as I can hold into about 1" at 50m with a consistent POI, I'll be very happy. If not, I'd have to balance the cost of tunes vs. just stepping up to a factory regulated gun with superior barrel, like an AA 510 or similar. I did check out Jim's website and see is now offering his own hammer forged .22 barrels as a drop-in for Marauder rifle at $210 US. Of course, accuracy reports look excellent so that might be a good option, if needed.

I'm anxious to get back and and keep tuning/testing but we're in a run of cold and windy weather again. :x Come on spring!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:56 am 

I will say that without the barrel/regulator I was doing quite well at field target and able to hold groups at 50 yards within 1-2". It was the flyers that would kill the group.
With the barrel and regulator I'm now able to hold groups at 50 yards within 1/2-1". And not 5 shot groups, more like 15-20.

I also clean and lube the pellets, jsb exact heavy, before I shoot. So I wash them in dish soap, dry them with paper towel and hair dryer, then lightly lube them with Ballistol. There are videos on YouTube that go over this process.
I was surprised at first how many lead flakes I saw in the water of the washed pellets.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:34 am 

Man, I'd be ecstatic if I could turn in groups like that! Damn this cold/windy weather - I need got get back out to the range.