Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:41 pm 

Won't the o rings stop the hammer from going all the way forward?

KWC 1911 Tac
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:17 pm 

Yes, and that's the point. Hammer weight, travel, valve spring tension, valve stem length (or hammer travel restriction via O-ring damping or SSG), initial and final hammer velocity, valve seal shape and material, transfer port and pressure range, all these working optimally together will result in a very flat shot velocity curve from beginning to end of fill. The bstaley mod (O-ring or O-rings used as hammer travel limiter/damper) is one of the tools in the toolbox towards this end. Cutting the slot longer was something I did early on in my tuning adventure with the 2240. If I were building one now I wouldn't bother. I like what a long SSG (elongated travel thanks to a long delrin plug sticking out the back, which doubles as the adapter for the tubular stock) does for my 2240, which is now my son's. He gets about 40 decently even shots per fill to 2,200psi, so he's able to consistently hit a pop can starting around 10 metres and blasting it out to maybe 35 metres before he starts missing. A normal stock 2240 velocity curve isn't going to let that happen, too much climb and fall through the fill. An SSG plus an O-ring plus a lighter hammer (38grams) plus a hogged out valve plus the regulated (Lane CO2/HPA conversion model regulator) pressure down to about 850psi all adds up to a phenominally efficient, quiet, consistent carbine. He's happy with it. I've moved on to a TSS (twin spring system) mod for my Brocock Atomic which has it shooting slightly quieter and cocking more easily than with its former SSG setup. All of this is just part of the adventure, playing around with various mods until getting to where an airgun can't be any better.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:48 pm 

I have a SSG setup on my 2240 and a 41 g hammer...I was just going to ask if you can use with the o ring setup with the SSG. I haven't tried the TSS, I like what the SSG is doing and I'm happy for now! i will try the TSS eventually.

KWC 1911 Tac
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:32 pm 

Yup, the single O-ring I put in helped a bit. Every setup is different of course.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:00 pm 

Let me ask you what is this new TSS doing that the SSG isn't or does it work like that?

What's the size of O ring your using?

KWC 1911 Tac
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:45 pm 

The O-ring was something which fit snug into the tube, and about 2mm thick. I wrote about my TSS setup in the GTA megathread on the subject:
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... msg1146663
Also wrote about it here:
http://airgunscanada.freeforums.net/thr ... -tinkering

Quieter (in the Atomic anyway, where my SSG was ringing like a bell) , easier cocking, and either matching or slightly improved efficiency. Easy to adjust too. Figuring out the right springs to use and getting them about the right lengths seems harder than with an SSG though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:29 am 

Whitewolf wrote:
2 reasons that happens. 1 too strong a hammer spring. 2 slamming into the cocking slot end.

also slamming into the back of the bolt. if the bolt jumps, when the gun is fired, that's a pretty good indication that the hammer pin is hitting the bolt.