Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Optimus repair kit 1000
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:02 pm 

My buddy had an optimus and it was shooting under 320ish
So he decided to get the repair kit 1000
Only put the spring in not the piston provided and it's shooting very much noticeable harder way harder
Didn't bring the chrono to measure anyway he's got a loud twang going on
What can be done to reduce this noise it's very loud now
Should the piston have been replaced with this new spring ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:03 pm 

He's got his pal I will mention he's got very little knowledge with airguns tho

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:21 pm 
According to the Crosman manual that comes with the Phantom they say in a nutshell for first 250 shot it might not be that accurate and may be a bit noisy.

Did he lubricate the spring? some use molly lube, and put a little bit in their hands and work it into the spring. Army I used to put oil on a rag and work it around all coils. Could do that with molly paste.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:41 pm 

He didn't grease the spring he will tmmr
He didn't take out the piston to compare it to the new one that came with the 1000 kit

The first few shots had flashing (diesels )?

But he's gonna go buy some grease tmmr and put the other piston in it before he takes it out for practice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:04 pm 
Tvg79 wrote:
He didn't grease the spring he will tmmr
He didn't take out the piston to compare it to the new one that came with the 1000 kit

The first few shots had flashing (diesels )?

But he's gonna go buy some grease tmmr and put the other piston in it before he takes it out for practice

Lightly grease it. Just enough to look wet, not holy that's a ball of grease.

Someone told me when installing the piston seal dip it in hot water for 20-30 seconds, dry it and apply the oil and than stick it in while the seal is soft.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:16 am 

Apply the moly grease to the piston lightly ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:12 am 

Ok so we put the smaller lighter piston in all molyed up nice and lightly greased new 1000 kit installed and wow!!!!!
It's ROM when cooking is more and the power is much higher going threw two 1/2 inch boards clean
And it's smoking?
Will this stop or is it grease burning up and will need to be regressed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:46 pm 

The smoke is the new increased pressure burning lube in the compression chamber, yes it's normal and yes it'll stop. Yes you need to add lube over time, but not much and not often. The spring area is really what needs the most lube so if it's kept greased then you probably don't need to lube the chamber, but add a drop or two of motor oil to the chamber anyway.
If you want to quiet the spring you can use spring tar from Maccari, black not clear. Tar is not all that cheap for what it is, reduces power and makes a mess. An option, which is what I do, is make what is basically a plastic liner for the piston. This will maintain the power and is very effective. It may be frustrating to make your first one but details are a bit much for a post, so if interested then you need my tuning info, chevota at hotmail and I'll send it. Lots of other info for tuning and noobs too...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:59 pm 

I just swapped out my 500 spring for the 1000 spring and yes i have an unrestricted PAL. I didn't need a compressor, though it would have been handy. The replacement was much heavier than stock but I didnt pull the piston or even remove the trigger. It only took 30 minutes.
I did not lube the spring and may pull it apart to do so after i shoot it. The old spring was pretty much bone dry with no residue at all. I hear Vaseline works as lube, but perhaps so in here have better ideas.
off to check out as soon as it stops snowing.
BTW, the robins have arrived in Whitehorse.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:14 pm 

So back from shooting the repaired Phantom. So i took a 5/8 pine plank and my old spring put the 22 pellets in flush with the surface at 25 yards. After the spring swap i shot a 1.5 inch, 5 shot group with all pellets doing a complete pass through at 25 yards.
In short the rifle is simply twice the gun with total all in cost at $100.............awsome.
I had an old Crosman scope but could do nothing with it as point of impact would not change. All the groups shot with open sites. Now need to tune up the accuracy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:19 am 

Awesome
I did the same not switching out the piston
But the stock piston being longer in it and the kit comes with the shorter piston it's worth switching
I didn't need the compress aswell
But over all she (optimus.177 ) has some punch