Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:41 am 

Hi, will a long Hatsan barrel fit my AT44 that came with regular barrel, are the fitting imdents/O rings all idemtiical?

Thanks Ian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:06 am 

The barrels are interchangeable. As long as you don't use a BT65 barrel as their OD is slightly larger.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:14 am 

That's great, thankyou, just what I wanted to hear, thankyou. Does adding a longer barrel give a noticeable performance increase when adjustments are made to hammer spring and transfer port?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:29 am 

There is a bit more power to be had as well as efficiency . If you're looking at the barrel from the forum store go for the LotharWalter. Well worth the money for the accuracy gained .i do believe the 100 fps gain with the long barrel claimed by Hatsan is bit bit stretched . I think the usual gain in fps is roughly 10 fps per inch not 25 to 30.
The most gains will be had in the AT44 when you plug the extra holes in the valve ,and do some mild porting and cleaning up the rough spots in the air flow.( 90* corners)
More info on the goals you're looking for and caliber would help at giving better recommendations .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:05 pm 

Thanks, I haven't been on this forum in a while,I will check out the store, I didn't know they sold barrels, as I am in UK I found a European site selling LW and Hatsan barrels.

Regards porting is there a topic on it or any pictures?

Many thanks Ian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:02 am 

Its just a 22 and I am looking to give it back some life as they are detuned for our market, unfortuneatly, its not just a valve stem swap like you lucky guys get.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:20 am 

Yes filling 5 valve body holes and fine tuning the ports helps. But the big difference in power came when I enlarged the opening in the valve seat. You should be careful not to overdo it though and follow Bob's (rsterne) 5 screw mod post.
--Ed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:41 am 

Thanks, can you provide a link or go into more detail about valve seat modification? Thanks Ian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:58 am 

post333627.html?hilit=Hatsan at44 10 5 screw mod#p333627

Like I was saying you may be satisfied with just the valve seat enlargement and hammer screw adjustments. You might want to do them first especially since they are also easier then the rest of the mods shown there.
You might want to be more conservative with the diameter you open up the seat especially if your gun is not .25cal. I opened mine to 3/16" or less I can't remember. Try less than that first to be on the safe side.
For a reference I get 40fpe shooting .177 16.2gr jsb at 1050fps. I fortunately found a way to detune it a little for better accuracy.
Good luck,
--Ed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:50 pm 

Many thanks for the link, I have a lot to learn. Unfortuneatly our guns don't come with preload adjustment, have to have a look what can be done when I open the gun. What baffles me is our valve stems are same diameter as yours, but the end hit by the hammer is stubbier and not so long and paointed, therefore when trying to rescrew the air cylinder it stops just short of doing up, I guess it is pressing on the hammer maybe?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:44 pm 

Without being able to increase the hammer spring preload the valve may not open if you enlarge the valve seat opening because of the extra pressure exerted on the valve stem.
I didn't know you were in England. I hope I didn't encourage you to break the law.
--Ed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:20 pm 

Nah its fine, I have ordreered a specially made spring and valve stem, as the gun is currently under UK limit, just want to get it to limit like my old Gamo Magmum.