Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:36 pm 
Supporting Member

I've described this before, but not well evidently. I think I've found out how to post a photo, so that should be it right above.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:29 pm 
Supporting Member

I got the image as far as photo bucket, but that's it. :shock:

I'll try again another time.

Peter :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:50 pm 

Cant wait. guns are less frustrating than computers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:43 pm 
Supporting Member

Okay. I think I got it.

The first photo is the compressor with the innards of my Quest in place. Normally I would remove the rear sight and the Picatinny rail, then "level" it with the shims and tighten the re-usable cable tie over top.

The two vertical "pins" are 1/4" lag bolts inside 1/4" id fuel line.

I use the punches to push out the retaining pin when the spring is sufficiently compressed. I like to have the smaller sizes handy too so that if I need to do adjusting before removing the spring or installing it, I can put a smaller punch in as a temporary measure.

The "F" clamp is similar (but longer) than the one I used to make the compressor, and the piece of plywood is the cover for the traveler so that I can use this compressor with my XS46U by moving the traveler to the far end. The cover is held in place with a pin (bolt minus threads), and the traveler is also retained by a pin.

The second photo is everything in place without anything on it. The long 2x4's are 40" long. I have a bicycle inner tube patch on the front of the swiveling clamp face to avoid slippage and it's stayed in place for a lot of clampings.

The third photo is the underneath. I modified the clamp I used by drilling out the pin that held the non movable end in place, cutting a groove in the 2x4, setting the clamp in, and putting a pin to hold it. It is also held in place by the short 2x4 and the metal piece. Also in the photo are the flat front for the traveler, and a bit of the traveler detail.

The final photo is more detail showing the traveler, the traveler front, the shims, and the pin I use to hold the traveler in place.

I've used this a lot (the top 2x4 is new because I made a sloppy job of the holes in the original :oops: ) and it hasn't let me down or even made me nervous. It holds the guns very securely.

The holes in the 2x4 are 1" apart and then I can adjust the clamp in about 1/8" increments. This set-up gives me just over 3" of thread on the clamp to release a spring or compress it and that has been enough for all my guns.

I've used the compressor on a Umarex Surge 1200, Crosman Quest 1000, XS46U (PAL), and a Crosman Nitro Venom (PAL)

When I'm done, I just hang it on the garage wall, clamp side down on a bolt that sticks out of the wall.

The only cost was the clamp (around $20 at CT) which I already had. The rest of the stuff I had around.

I hope this helps.

Peter :D