Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:12 pm 

I was there live at the time this was made so I can tell you this is 100% Real

vitalymezh wrote:
Today after FT competition I finally had chance to shoot this fun contest.
The shooting conditions was very difficult during the whole match because of strong side wind, it was my first time dealing with such windy weather while shooting.
75 yd measured by laser rangefinder, shooting HW97 with Hawke 6-24x50 scope
Sitting FT position, not rested.
It is 10 first shots no sighters, holdover 5 mildots down
Signed by witness respectful "newlife"

Rifle

Field view - yeah, it looks so far away!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:51 pm 

Great shooting! I love it!

Sounds like you had some tricky shooting situation vitalymezh. Also noticed you shot without bipod! Amazing!

Beeman RS2 Camo - Tuned by Barbas929/Centerpoint 3-9x40
Winchester 500XS - Centerpoint 4x32 PA
Steel Force - TRG 1x40

Last edited by FrozenVapours on Sat May 07, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:55 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
Nice, you've set something of a benchmark with this target. I'll shoot seated as well, not rested (not much of a bench rested shooter anyway except when setting up a scope) and see what comes of it in a couple of weeks at Mission.

Im interest to see your results :)

Steel Force - TRG 1x40

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:37 am 

Here are two groups I shot this morning. The second group would have been nice if it weren't for a gust of wind, or just me.
Sumatra 22 cal regulated to 900 fps. 18.1 gr Jsb 75 yds. ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:42 am 

omg!! wow! best results yet!! I'm impressed!!! And to think i was proud of sub 7" groups hahaha! I have some work to do! :P

Steel Force - TRG 1x40

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:16 pm 

I am throwing my hat into the ring. 75 yards with my D350 Magnum .177 shooting H&N FTT's at 930fps. It was fairly windy, 35km today but gave it a few shots anyway. I used 2.5 mildots hold over, no windage adjustment. Just under 1 3/4"ctc. Shot off my deck rail, hand under fore end.

Attachments:
P1000018 (480x640).jpg
P1000018 (480x640).jpg [ 211.5 KiB | Viewed 1268 times ]
P1000017 (479x640).jpg
P1000017 (479x640).jpg [ 216.18 KiB | Viewed 1268 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:39 pm 

We had a kind of rushed setup for the 75 yard targets, scrambling up a steep gravel/sand bank to the only clear area we could find between trees at that distance. Angled up about 8 degrees. Mike did quite well, over 70 I think, but I'm sure he'll tell us about it soon. My HPA-convertion QB78D still doesn't have a bottle mounted... a string of incredibly bad luck as I've tried to get that adapter block made... but I was hoping that by pumping ever 7 or 8 shots I'd have enough consistency to test at 75 yards. Nope. Even at normal FT ranges I was struggling, as out in the slightly cool air it just doesn't shoot consistently drom 1200psi down to 850psi like it does at home. Fell off to something like 400fps at 1200psi, so at 75 yards I was about 2 feet low. After a handful of test shots into the sand beside the target I settled on filling it to 950psi and taking a few shots then filling again, still with a vertical shift from 1st to 4th shot of almost 1 foot. So of course my target's a joke, but at least I put 8 on paper once I cracked down and did my 10 'official' shots. Here's the sad result, which I scored at 27 out of 100.

I figure there must be some sort of friction problem. Something which tightens up just enough to radically change the way the spring/hammer/valve work together when it's 10 degrees cooler than inside heat like today. Last time at Mission, back in March, was even worse, with a 1200psi fill leaving the 18gr JSB's practically dribbling out the muzzle until it shot down to around 900psi. Think I'll throw each of the round parts into my lathe and polish the heck out of them. When the rifle's eventually regulated I don't want temperature messing up an otherwise perfect tune.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:03 pm 

Should have read the rules I missed the change to 10 shots, wrong target also, sorry dissregarde my post. :) I will try to redo.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:58 pm 

would love to give this a go but don't have the yardage to shoot.... :(

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:07 pm 

Yeah, finding 75 yards is kind of difficult for those of us not living on farms or similar. But eventually opportunities arise. So I like this sort of informal, open-ended thread/contest. Not so much a contest, but hey, who doesn't want bragging rights? Eventually many of us will manage to find a proper 75 yard range and give it a go, then post results. Who knows, a thread like this could run for years!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:39 pm 

I counted it up, and I got a 72 with 10 shots. Used the Hammerli Pneuma "semi-rested" at 75 yards at 16X magnification. Shooting my standard JSB Jumbo Heavies (18gr .22) around 820 fps. I measured it out at under a 4" group CTC. Pictures to come shortly. I figure bench resting could've shrunk that by half, and a higher magnification would've helped even further. Fun times! Thanks to the guys at the Mission shoot for accommodating us, and to Gerard for making some great targets.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:38 pm 

Just uploaded the images here:

http://imgur.com/a/h5vjF

You'll see that I accidentally took my first shot on Haru's target, mistaking the "H" for an "M". The rest of my shots all fit into the target with the tape on it. Not too bad, got 1 - 10 and 2 - 9s. Total count of 72. 3-7/8" group. Conditions were good, so I can't place any blame there.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:46 pm 

Conditions were excellent indeed... unless you count the fact that you were rested on a mossy, rotten edge of an archery target stand roof while standing. Not much of a 'rest' in the classic sense, although I suppose from a hunter's perspective it's pretty much standard. I shot seated on a folding tripod camp stool with elbows on knees. But the wobble inherent in that position only accounts for my horizontal errors. Air pressure gets the blame for much of the vertical - but I'm working on that. Think I may have figured out the guts of my QB78D at last, but of course only testing outside at Mission again will tell for sure. I'll make up fresh targets and maybe we can get them into place before the sighting/plinking session, so as not to step on any official HFT toes.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:22 am 

Wow some impressive results!!

Steel Force - TRG 1x40

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:04 pm 

Well Haru and I finally had a proper chance to shoot 75 yards at Mission yesterday. Wayne and Biagio took a break, didn't feel like trying the distance - chatting in the shade did look more appealing, and it was about nap time...

I'd set up a large pellet tin lid on a coathanger wire above Haru's target so he'd have something to aim at, considering the rather massive holdover for his 2240 carbine. He was shooting RWS Hobby, aimed 85cm above the bull, and managed to hit paper with 5 of the 20 or so shots he took, scoring a 12. Considering he's only just figuring out how to hold an airgun a bit steadier and has a lot of side-to-side wobble in the best position he's come up with so far it seems a rather decent result. I won't post his target (he's too embarrassed) but instead offer this leaf:

This was sitting on a 2" thick block of dense foam, resting on his knee, distance 15 metres with a light breeze from the left. 3 shots in a row before he moved on to exploding a couple of dandelions at 20 metres. I was puzzled that he managed such a clean little group considering how much sideways movement was evident - about 1/2" of motion at the muzzle every second or two. He explained that he was trying to time trigger pulls with the crosshairs coming towards his target. Good timing then!

I've finally got the QB78D working perfectly. No more excuses of weird valve behaviour and very short shot counts before filling. We'd set up a relatively short HFT course, just 32 points possible, and I'd scored two rounds at 28/32 then 30/32. So I knew the rifle was working. The missed bullseyes were all my fault, flinching a little in two cases and the rest all failing to estimate holdover for close range small bulls, clipping the bottom edges of the reducers.

So on to the 75 yards. I 'cheated' by taking 5 sighters at a small shoot-n-see just to get an idea how close Chairgun was to correct. Turned out I had to holdover about an extra 8cm compared to the 36cm Chairgun was telling me, just the last two sighters hitting the test target. Then moved to paper, looking through my Leupold 2-7x scope set to 7x and realising that at longer range it's a bit tricky trying to estimate holdover with a plain crosshair reticle. It was about 3x the height of the crosshair to thicker reticle line, so my vertical estimation was a bit inconsistent. Sitting on a foot-high three legged folding stool, resting elbows on my legs, the first target I got 9 on paper in an 8.2cm (3.25") group a little high and right of centre - that light cross breeze again. Scored it at 63 points, two pellets hitting almost the same spot in the 8 ring.

So I moved down just a little and about an inch to the left for the wind and shot another 10, this time getting all 10 shots on paper for a 64 point total and a group size of 12.7cm (5"), two shots apparently being lazy and dropping quite low. The other 8 grouped to exactly 3.25" again.

So it seems that's about my current skill level for longer range. Out to about 35 metres I have no difficulty shooting from the same position on the little Three Vets folding stool and nailing 1" groups. Which about confirms my grey squirrel range - I've only once taken a squirrel further than that, at 41 metres, and looking back it was probably a bad decision even though I dropped it cleanly. My accuracy isn't really great beyond about half the 75 yards we're talking about in this thread. And to that distance the 2260 is pretty similar, maybe as much as 25% bigger groups but if I hold really steady it works out about the same. I'm just really preferring the QB though, especially for the 120+ shots between pumping sessions.

Hope I scored these right - was using the ISSF rule where touching a line scores that circle's value, so a couple of hits were mostly outside the ring for which I scored them but with cut paper showing in the scored ring.

Some day I'll have to give sandbag rested longer range shooting a try. So far I still don't have a sand bag, as that style of shooting doesn't really appeal to me, but it'd be nice to see how accurate the QB is with my skill in holding steady removed from the equation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next