Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: qb78 on air....how to?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:22 am 

Just ordered a qb78 and would like to run it on air vs co2. Not really looking for power mods just want to convert to air. Already have a pump and scuba setup. What's the easiest and safe way to do this? Who in Canada has the parts I would need? Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:42 am 

http://jdsairman.com/

get the 850pso to 1000psi make sure it has 2 burst disk one for 3k and down stream at 1.8k
and voila it's pcp Ah no your bought a QB78 ok ok ok

it's a different setup but Yes it can be done.

contact this guy he had some on his website but i don't see them anymore.

http://www.powermaxhipac.com/5--hipac-s.html

or some other helper will chime in.... come on guys help us :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:59 pm 

Tonnes of information here and elsewhere online. The only real difference is you need more volume than a stock tube offers when you move to air or your shot count (even low power) will be very limited. You need a tank or a longer tube...

v30 wrote:
Just ordered a qb78 and would like to run it on air vs co2. Not really looking for power mods just want to convert to air. Already have a pump and scuba setup. What's the easiest and safe way to do this? Who in Canada has the parts I would need? Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:28 pm 

There are some folks cutting the tube shorter on the 78 and installing a tank block from a 79...then using a regulated 13 cuin paintball tank, these folks can no longer use cartridges.

Others out there use the bulk fitting below along with some other parts/fittings...mounting the 13cuin tank on the side or underneath...the aesthetic appearance of this particular conversion is....left to individual tastes.

Could contact Derekvinyard on the forum here...he made some pcp tubes for the QB 78 and may have some available. Good to deal with as well. Edit...yeah...the guy that posted while I was finding links lmao :lol:

That and the hipac unit are about it for "self contained/walk around". If you are okay with shooting tethered to a bottle via a hose, can use something like the following parts;

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... -cap-p-832

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... hose-p-274

Any of these air tanks with an 850psi output would work.

http://www.paintballgear.ca/air-tank

Al

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:37 am 

The D/V tube's a good 'un. Mine's been utterly reliable, and well made.

If you go much above 1250 PSI on the stock QB valve stem, it'll end up pancaking.
There's a few here that can turn out the delrin valve stems and cure such ills. Pretty sure Derek Vineyard is one...

What ever you choose, good luck! There's tons readable on this subject here. Most insightful contributor appears to be Bob Sterne who's really done his homework (and then some) on this subject...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail