Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:42 pm 

Hello,

I installed a GTX trigger in a Stoeger X20 today. It was very light without the two stages it should have so I tried to adjust it.

After adjusting it I test fired it without the stock on. Now it will not cock properly and the trigger does not work at all. I put it back in the stock but it is still the same.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:56 pm 

Only thing I can think of is that the sear isn't engaging, due to the trigger being adjusted too far. Try adjusting the trigger to be harder, you may be able to get it to re-engage, allowing it to fully cock.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:09 pm 

Is there anything wrong with firing the rifle without the stock?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:30 pm 

Hi Rancher, welcome to the forum. The X20 is a nice gun.
Did you remember to add a pellet before shooting the gun? If not then there is the possibility of damage to the spring/piston, etc. Don't mean to panic you, as Barfman said, it could be as simple as adjusting the trigger. But the above tip can't be mentioned enough as a lot of people don't realize it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:48 pm 

sounds like it could be what Barfman has suggested, over adjustment to the trigger, back it off and try again..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:18 pm 

Define "will not cock properly"... A few things can go wrong to cause that, a couple of which can happen when cocked w/o the stock.
It's ok to fire it with the stock off, but best to leave the scope off if you do.
Also define "trigger does not work at all" As in stuck pulled back, pulls but nothing happens etc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:16 pm 

Chevota wrote:
Define "will not cock properly"... A few things can go wrong to cause that, a couple of which can happen when cocked w/o the stock.
It's ok to fire it with the stock off, but best to leave the scope off if you do.
Also define "trigger does not work at all" As in stuck pulled back, pulls but nothing happens etc.

The gun was loaded each time it was fired.

When I try to cock it it goes the distance and then has a strange jump back in my hand. Like it is not locking the cocking. As in a normal cock the barrel is free once you bring it all the way in. Right now it is still under pressure when returning.

The trigger travels the full distance but is not engaged at all. Totally free.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:47 pm 

Hello and welcome, Rancher :) .

How did you installed your trigger? Did you removed the rear nut holding the trigger group to the tube? If you backed the trigger group in the tube, the sear may have felt into the tube and you couldn't cock your gun.
Did you removed only the trigger pivot pin from the trigger group when you installed your new trigger? Also, maybe check if the anti-beartrap mechanism is working well.
You can google '' stoeger x20 trigger'' or ''crosman break barrei trigger'' or something similar and you'll find plenty of pictures and infos on how the trigger group is built and how it's working, Hope it helps.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:24 am 

airmec wrote:
Hello and welcome, Rancher :) .

How did you installed your trigger? Did you removed the rear nut holding the trigger group to the tube? If you backed the trigger group in the tube, the sear may have felt into the tube and you couldn't cock your gun.
Did you removed only the trigger pivot pin from the trigger group when you installed your new trigger? Also, maybe check if the anti-beartrap mechanism is working well.
You can google '' stoeger x20 trigger'' or ''crosman break barrei trigger'' or something similar and you'll find plenty of pictures and infos on how the trigger group is built and how it's working, Hope it helps.
Good luck!

I installed it step by step from a youtube video and it did work fine when I first put the stock back on. I test fired it three times but the trigger was very light (hair) and not the two stage that it is supposed to be.

So then I took the stock off again. Adjusted it. Fired it without the stock on and ran into this problem.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:45 pm 

So what I heard is it catches the piston, but is not enough to hold the full strength of the spring so when you let off the pressure on the barrel it releases and the barrel jumps back into your hand. This means the sears are not fully engaged, and since the edges of the sears are rounded they're sitting on only making contact on their rounded edges so the pressure of the main spring simply forces them to slip off each other. A few things can cause them to not engage properly but if you only removed the trigger blade then my first guess is the lower sear, which is the one the trigger blade pushes on, sits cocked to one side so when you install the trigger the sear is sitting on the side of the trigger rather than in the groove. You'll see in the GRX you have out there is a machined slot which is where the adj screw extends into. If the sear is sitting up on one edge then the sear is basically in the same physical position as it is when you pull the trigger about half way or so. So as far as the sear is concerned the trigger is pulled just enough to fire. This is rare and usually won't happen, but is possible. The fix is to get the sear to fall into the slot in the trigger. You can look behind the trigger blade to see if it's where it's supposed to be, but you'll likely need to remove the oem adj screw and plastic nut because that's where you need to see into the trigger assy. Or you can simply pull the trigger all the way back and let it snap fwd which I'd think would shake things up enough to let the sear fall into the slot. If snapping the trigger doesn't work, then please take a clear pix from the side, specifically the area between the safety and receiver which hopefully will show the sear overlap. Then one looking into the trigger assy with the trigger blade removed.
Other things that can cause this is shimming the main spring, a broken main spring, a broken spring guide, a broken or missing spring in the trigger assy, rust in the trigger assy, a bent trigger housing tab (where the square bolt goes), a bent sear, and improperly cut sear, even the oem adj screw can contribute. A longer than oem adj screw can easily cause this problem but I'm assuming you didn't do that.
Also, if the sear is off to the side and not falling into the groove it would explain why the GTX worked but it's adj screw did not, and made it a hair trigger. Then with the sides of the oem trigger being slightly higher it pushed the sear that little bit further to go from hair to not holding at all. So this makes me suspect that's the problem all the more.
If that's the problem then simply getting the sear in the slot should fix it for good since it can't pop back out on its own, but that stuff bugs me so I'd also fix whatever was causing it to do that in the first place. And it will be fixable, and with pix I can probably spot the problem.
Cocking the gun without the stock is fine as long you hold the cocking linkage straight. It may stay straight all by itself but usually they try to slip off the receiver which can bend the linkage. If it bends to the side with the little plastic roller on the linkage then usually no biggie (not good, just not a big deal but it depends on how much it bent), if it bends to the other side it will likely scrape the stock from then on. If a wood stock then it adds friction and cocking effort but may wear into the wood enough to cause problems. If you have a synthetic stock then it is likely partially hollow with reinforcement ribs along that area and the linkage will catch on those ribs preventing cocking altogether. I can explain how to fix this if you ever need, wood or syn.