Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Drilling a pellet.
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:54 am 

I'd like to drill a 1/16" hole length wise through a .177 Diablo pellet.
I have a dremel and am willing to buy mini drillpress to attach it to.
The real problem is how to hold the pellet. Any ideas?
Thanks Ed.

Post subject: Re: Drilling a pellet.
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:49 am 

Aged wrote:
I'd like to drill a 1/16" hole length wise through a .177 Diablo pellet.
I have a dremel and am willing to buy mini drillpress to attach it to.
The real problem is how to hold the pellet. Any ideas?
Thanks Ed.

What are the criteria? Like, no marks on the pellet, skirt/head not deformed, or hole must be perpendicular to skirt within some tolerance, etc.
How about seating the pellet in a barrel and drilling, use a smooth bore like a 760 if you don't want rifling marks, and drill slowly with light pressure - lead is pretty soft the friction should keep it from spinning. Tap it out with a dowel from the muzzle end when done. Perpendicularity not an issue, just hand drill, do a few and pick out the good ones. :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:35 am 

Start with the drill press....needs to have a table to clamp things to.

Need two pieces of wood or plastic...flat or square stock...and some shim material...thin paper (till receipt .002"-.004") will do. Need some clamps...can use bolts/nuts if you want....

If you don't have a something to find center...use a piece of rod (dead dremel bit?) and file a point on it while it's spinning...the point will be centered. Leave this mounted...if you remove it, it may not be on center anymore.

Clamp one of the pieces of flat stock to the table such that one edge is on center with the drill chuck.

Clamp the other piece of flat stock to the first with the paper shim in the middle. Then clamp it to the table too.

Drill a hole for the pellet to sit in.

Remove the second piece of flat stock and the paper shim. Do not remove the first piece until you're done drilling pellets.

Can now clamp things loosely and be able to insert a pellet/bullet for drilling, snug the clamps a little and drill away.

Will keep things centered/concentric about as well as you're going to get with limited tooling.

Al

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:14 am 

Duke, I tried clamping a piece of flat stock aluminum on to my father in laws old, huge drill press and drilled a 4.5mm hole in it simulating a smooth bore barrel. I don't know if the big vibrating machine was the cause but the pellet was loose enough to spin when I tried to drill the center out.
Al, I think I understand the setup you described. Am I right that the thin paper shim acts as a spacer? So that when one piece of flat stock and paper are removed, the pellet put in and only the flat stock placed back in position it will exert enough pressure to prevent spinning.
I like it and will give it a try.
Thanks all,
--Ed.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:02 pm 

use a old barrel to hold your pellets you may need to cut it.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:24 pm 

I'd hold the pellet by hand and use either a slow cordless drill or drive the drill bit by hand using a tool like one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/zh9lrej
http://tinyurl.com/jmz98ls
Lead is extremely easy to drill, and easiest with a teeny bit of motor oil to lube the process.
A Dremel is way too fast for this kind of work imo.

So what's the deal, adding a nail to it? If so be sure it's very short, as in barely sticking out the tip. But you you'll figure it out.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:33 pm 

Chevota wrote:
A Dremel is way too fast for this kind of work imo.
So what's the deal, adding a nail to it? If so be sure it's very short, as in barely sticking out the tip. But you you'll figure it out.

I may buy a small drill press instead, a dremel is too fast. Are the cheap ones on Amazon any good?
No not a nail but this time I want to build and test one of my unorthodox ideas before posting it on the forum.
--Ed

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:32 pm 

You can do it by hand, and use pin-vices. Might even at a set at Princess Auto, then do it by hand, holding the pellet pinched in a rubber strip, like a piece of bicycle inner tube- or beg an old arm band/strap from a Medial Lab Technician or Technologist (hematology department).

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:50 pm 

Generally cheap drill presses are not accurate, neither are most Dremels and combined you're just asking for error. Then it all depends on what you're doing, maybe the error is no biggie, maybe simply using a smaller drill bit will net you the hole you're after. One question is would buying tools be worth it? I may have already tried whatever you're up to, or at least offer some thoughts, things to consider etc. You can write me at chevota at hotmail, and you have my word I won't tell anyone.
Whatever the case I'd totally do it by hand using the hand drill or extremely slow cordless drill. With a slow drill you can eyeball center and keep it true better than a cheap drill press. Beyond holding it by hand I suppose maybe two pieces of wood and where they come together you've drilled a hole the exact size to accept the pellets head with enough force to grip but not distort. Basically picture a bullet mold.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:08 pm 

Why exactly are you trying to drill out pellets? Are you making your own hollow points?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:21 pm 

chevota wrote:
I'd hold the pellet by hand and use either a slow cordless drill or drive the drill bit by hand

Yup, me too. . . Unless I really needed a lot of them. . . .
Proof of concept and maybe a dozen or so; I'd do 20 pellets in a production run, and for sure there'd be a dozen worthy of the "test".
I'm pretty sure I could do 20-25 of them before drilling into my finger . . . . :mrgreen:

SureShot wrote:
Why exactly are you trying to drill out pellets? Are you making your own hollow points?

You can't answer a question by asking two more, without mentioning how you'd do it, if it "had" to be done . . . :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:33 am 

I understand it's difficult to give advice if you don't know what crazy idea I'm working on this time so here it goes.
The hole has to be accurate, maybe impossibly accurate for an amateur. My Idea is a hollow body (a tube) pellet/bullet. Of course it would need a light weight stopper at the back end to not let the air pressure through the hole. The stopper will blow off as soon as the pellet leaves the muzzle.
It would have the advantage of a hole saw over a twist drill. It should have a BC higher than any other projectile. It might even be more stable through the air as there is now more surface area to guide it like a fin would. Just as it would make a perfect hole though paper it should do the same to game. It would mean you could make a .30" hole with a lot less energy since the pellet would weigh half as much and would maintain it's energy a lot further because of it's low air resistance.
Depending on the shape of the front end it could cut a clean hole or mushroom outward or inward.
Remember I wanted to test it this time first.
--Ed.

Last edited by EdLena on Mon May 02, 2016 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:45 am 

I think you will find that a 1/16 hole will appear to act as a solid pellet as it moves through the air. I am thinking back to a satellite dish I had years ago. It was perforated with small round holes and the claim was it would appear to be solid once the wind approached 40 mph.
Have fun experimenting.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:19 am 

Aged wrote:
My Idea is a hollow body (a tube) pellet/bullet. Of course it would need a light weight stopper at the back end to not let the air pressure through the hole. The stopper will blow off as soon as the pellet leaves the muzzle.
--Ed.

Interesting idea.
- reduced weight
- possibly reduced air resistance (though I am not sure how the benefit of a central vent would compare to the increased surface resistance)
- possibly higher fps (def want to see chrony results on this one)

Keep us posted :)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:32 am 

Drilling a hole through the pellet will likely increase drag, not decrease it. If you ever have a chance to look at a load of pipe being shipped, long haulers have the ends capped to decrease fuel consumption. Also, unless it is perfectly straight square than stabilization will likely go south on you. I've never seen a manufactured pellet with a hole through the centerr which makes me wonder why if there were any benefits.
But having said all that it would be a fun project if nothing else.