Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman 2200 "Magnum"
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:39 am 

Latest acquisition here:

It had an appendage like this on the valve, coupled with a wicked bleed vent...

(This photo was "lifted" from this forum.)

Gun would shoot 345 fps at 3 pumps- 4 pumps, and it would drop to 270 fps, 5 pumps dropped it to 220 fps. I think that appendage was to protect the valve from locking from over pumping, as well as keep velocity waaayyy below 500 fps....

Took the appendage off, and melted a couple of Daisy .22 pellets over a small washer in the remaining hole.

Gun hits nice and hard now. I'll run it over the chrony Tuesday night if I can, and scoperize it for group...

Valve on this gun is a lot smaller than a 13-XX, and about 1/8" longer than AM-77/760 valve...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:14 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Valve on this gun is a lot smaller than a 13-XX, and about 1/8" longer than AM-77/760 valve...

Edit:

Must have been tired last night to write something like that- the 760 valve is very much the equal volume wise to the 13-XX- it should have read AM-77 / 2100

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm fairly certain this is the exact same de-tune method designed for the .177 versions of this gun. From what I've been able to glean through google is the .22 versions were not all that hot in non-detuned form to begin with- they were rated at 560 fps...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:03 am 

Performance is about as expected. 6 pumps yields upper 480's/lower 490's with three different 14.3 gr pellets- the Daisy hollow point, some somewhat frosted looking daisy wadcutters, and the last of my die #2 Crosman f/t domes.

Extreme spreads are quite tight- the smallish volume of the valve may have something to do with that. Worst of the lot was a 12 fps variance, and the best was 7.

It is not very accurate. It wants to throw flyers with reckless abandon- like 4" off p.o.a.
When it does cluster, it will put 3 or 4 domes into as little as .25" on centers at 12 meters. The flyers are a huge aggravation- enough so that I'll have to get at that crown before I do anything else with the gun.

The only other weak point is the overly heavy trigger. I'd like to get something done with that- get away from that hair-pin spring and use a more controllable coil type...

I still like the gun a lot. It is an adult sized rifle, and the weight is a plus for shooting off-hand, as well as from rest....

I'll get a few more pics up in the next couple of days if anyone's interested.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:04 am 

I have a crosman 66 that had that same thing on the bottom of the valve there was a hole in the bottom of it if you put an allen key in there and turned it clockwise it would increase the pressure before it would start to bleed off, It is some sort of regulator to stop the pressure from getting too high and going above 495 fps

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:51 am 

Yes, it acts much like a PRV, even to the point of staying open until the pressure drops.
I could not do much with mine- everything was covered in Red Loctite- including the valve threads. :axe:

.177 versions of this detune method should edge upper 400's at 3 pumps with an 8 gr class pellet- in theory, at least. I'm not real sure how the Coleman version of Crosman Canada would have dealt with this in .177- anything's possible, I suppose. :rolleyes:

I would get rid of that thing and plug the hole somehow- some here have had success with epoxy putty... Personally, I get a charge out of melted pellets for solder, but that's just me :mrgreen:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail