Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:49 am 

Is this a good deal?

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/80397/crosman-vantage-177-air-rifle-w-scope?pl=airguns&cm=16-cabinopener-crosmanvantage

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:00 pm 

Hi, in my opinion it's not a bad deal for what seems be a pretty decent entry level springer. Especially one with open sights and a scope, something that I value as I prefer to shoot with open sights but enjoy using the scope for the added experience.
Too bad Walmart no longer sells the Ruger Air Hawk for $99, as THAT was a great deal (identical to the Vantage in every way, scope, stock, sights, etc) but I believe I bought the very last one. Maybe someone else can weigh in if $140 is a good price?

Couple of things to consider since we know nothing about you (welcome to the forum, btw - feel free to say a word about yourself in the intro section), such as the fact that this is a somewhat heavy and long gun. Not to mention a bit tricky for a first time shooter seeing how the recoil that these produce can pose a challenge and a longer learning curve. If it's your first airgun maybe consider something simpler, lighter and also smaller like the Daisy 953. Sells for less, on occasion can be found with a 3-9x32 scope for under $80 in places like TSC and Princess Auto. Being a pneumatic you don't have any recoil to worry about.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:09 pm 

I really have no idea though did notice they want 30 buck more than Canadian Tire for the Optimus. (169) I saw the Optimus for 99 at CT last year and kick myself as the scope alone costs 50.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:42 pm 

I often face a dilemma when I see an air rifle on sale because some air rifles are identical, just sold by different names. It's confusing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:46 pm 

Could never figure out why there is even a Vantage, seeing how it's identical to the Optimus in every way. Stock is virtually the same, shy of a couple of minor cosmetic contours. Trigger is the same with the included safety, sights are the exact same everything is identical other than the Vantage being 3cm longer and a pound heavier.
Speeds are rated the same, so they likely share the same internals. Case of Crosman trying to dupping their own line up in order to generate more sales?

Interesting how Pyramyd has the Vantage with a scope (non Can version) for $10 less than the scopeless Optimus. And still it's the same gun.

Which consequently is virtually the same gun as the Ruger Air Hawk. A gun I enjoy on occasion but quickly put it down and go back to shooting the 953. Something about hitting the bullseyes every time that has me reaching for the 953 anytime I get not-so-great results with a springer. And the reason why I suggested the OP tell us a bit about himself as he may be better off with a Daisy pneumatic instead of this heavy beast.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:41 pm 

$109. at scopes and ammo on line with no scope. Shipping extra so it is a good deal though now back at 169. Same as CT.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:41 am 

The Ruger and the vantage/optimus/quest are completely different guns. Spring configuration, trigger, etc. are different. Ruger is a copy of the Diana 34, Vantage is a copy of a Gamo 220. Ruger has a piston rod and ball lockup, Vantage has no piston rod and chisel lockup. Trigger on the Ruger is completely different (better) than the Vantage. You can put a gas ram in the Crosman, not possible in the ruger.
They are not the same gun. Not even close. They are both entry level springers. That's where the similarity ends. I own and regularly shoot both.

Welcome to the addiction!

edit: check this out, the quest is another variation of the vantage/optimus
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... fle-p-1040
($99 CDN for a high velocity springer is really hard to beat)

I'm not multitasking. I'm doing something else until I remember what I was doing.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:41 am 

Thanks for clarifying that, suppose the Ruger is identical in the looks dept but good to know there are differences. Can't complain about the trigger in mine, it may not be adjustable but it does the job just fine. Not happy with the amount of recoil in mine, at some point will see if I can follow some of Chevota's tips and tame it down. Or it may just need to be broken in, don't think I have put 100 through the Air Hawk.
Too bad Wallyworld no longer has them, $99 for a scoped Air Hawk was truly a superb deal.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:26 pm 

ricksplace wrote:
The Ruger and the vantage/optimus/quest are completely different guns. Spring configuration, trigger, etc. are different. Ruger is a copy of the Diana 34, Vantage is a copy of a Gamo 220. Ruger has a piston rod and ball lockup, Vantage has no piston rod and chisel lockup. Trigger on the Ruger is completely different (better) than the Vantage. You can put a gas ram in the Crosman, not possible in the ruger.
They are not the same gun. Not even close. They are both entry level springers. That's where the similarity ends. I own and regularly shoot both.

Welcome to the addiction!

edit: check this out, the quest is another variation of the vantage/optimus
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... fle-p-1040
($99 CDN for a high velocity springer is really hard to beat)

Your right so I ordered one. 141 shipped, at least 100 less than any other PAL rated rifle in Yukon.