Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:06 pm 

Hello everyone! I want to start first of all by trying to share some knowledge to help others with barrel modifications and alterations when it comes to changing barrels on NVD's to trail barrels

Here is what i know

BT1K77SNP-01-100 and BT1K77XNP-01-100 are the same barrel (identical)
I took the $80 risk*

Breach washers are EXACTLY 11/16" OD and 3/8" if you want to make your own/somehow source some brass

Parts needed to convert NVD barrel to Trail barrel
BT1K77XNP-01-100 1 barrel
BT1500-01-1 1 muzzel end
GBT-3452.1-2005 2 muzzel o-ring
BT9M22-01-1 1 muzzel mid
BT9M22-01-2 1 muzzel to breach
B22-00-1 2 breach washers (if you don't use/can't get CDT brass)
B12-00-14 4 breach oring (buy many they are cheap) only need one, they wear out
B18-01-3A 1
B18-01-2 1
B12-00-1B 1
B19-2-00-2 1
B18-00-15A 2
B18-01-1A 1
B18-07-00 1

Buying from crosman is an absolute nightmare into Canada so either get an American friend to buy or email a Canadian airgun store to try and source this stuff.

I'll be making step by step pictures in the coming weeks

You can also use the barrel without crosman shroud all together! Even make your own threaded right onto it :)
Thread diameter: 7/16"
Thread pitch:
Thread length:1 7/8"
Including unthreaded spacing: 2"
Overall assembly length: 18.0"

You can see pictures below.

You may be able to Macgyver getting this to work with less parts, but i haven't had the luck yet! Hope this helps everyone wanting to do this modification!

Manual Contents:

Diagram:

All the above can be done with ease as well for 0.22 cal and 0.25 cal

Beeman RS2 Camo - Tuned by Barbas929/Centerpoint 3-9x40
Winchester 500XS - Centerpoint 4x32 PA
Steel Force - TRG 1x40

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:19 pm 

Buying for a Crosman is easy. Either deal with Gravel Agency or Scope and ammo. Give them the part # and BAM. Being they are 2 biggest Crosman dealers in Canada. Either or, had the parts I needed.

I ordered seal kits for 1740, parts for phantom and other B19 series airguns, Parts for a discontinued 6 years ago gun.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:52 pm 

okayshooter wrote:
Buying for a Crosman is easy. Either deal with Gravel Agency or Scope and ammo. Give them the part # and BAM. Being they are 2 biggest Crosman dealers in Canada. Either or, had the parts I needed.

I ordered seal kits for 1740, parts for phantom and other B19 series airguns, Parts for a discontinued 6 years ago gun.

Will have to keep them in mind for the coming mods :)

Steel Force - TRG 1x40

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:54 pm 

Thread pitch on the barrel tip is M12 x 1.0. The pitch on the NP2 and the older gun it's based on is 1/2" x 20. Close enough that the NP2 "unit" could be forced onto a generic Crosman barrel, not that people in CA would want to, but other people like me.
The brass washer option is a great one, but know that it isn't really a drop in deal. I use a 5/16" SAE washer which is ~3/4" OD, then shave it down to the right OD of ~.700" +-.005 (which is easy if you want to make the tool I made, just ask). It's better and imo easier than a smaller 11/16 OD washer.
More important than that by far is the washers thickness which needs to be custom fit to the gun. Too tight or loose and you're losing the advantage of the mod. Another problem is the surfaces of both the barrel and ears where the washer rubs are rough. I highly recommend smoothing them so it doesn't tear up the brass and make it loose, or the plastic which I'm getting to inna sec.
So ideally both surfaces need to be smoothed (doesn't need to be perfect at all, just smooth the sharp edges down), and even better is to make thin tough plastic washers for each side of each brass washer so it doesn't touch metal, or at least one plastic on the barrel block side. You no doubt need some kind of shim anyway since the brass washers are no most certainly too thin.
The breech seal can be replaced with a rubber O-ring, which is better and how most all guns do it. It takes a size AS568-109 (aka -109), or plumbing size 1/2"OD x 5/16"ID x 3/32" thick, or Crosman # CRS5177A013. It'll no doubt need a shim or two as well and the Crosman shims are worth it imo. Also check the breech face to be sure it's smooth enough to seal against and not tear up the seal. I've yet to see a good surface...
The barrel pivot bolt should be checked for trueness, which it likely won't be but sanding helps.
If you order a new barrel pivot bolt be sure the right one arrives. Over the past several years they've been sending the wrong ones and complaining only gets you another wrong one. Hopefully it's fixed but fyi. Also fyi is the wrong bolt is actually better, but you have to sand a taper into the head to make it fit the gun.
No need for the shroud O-rings imo, especially for a CA gun. Up you you but if you do want them I'd get them from the hardware store, cheaper...
The cocking linkage pin needs to be peened in, or make a press fit pin from a drill bit.
The Trail shroud is machined to accept a sling mount, so if you don't use it you should sub w/ some washers.
The part # for the shroud tip you listed is the US version btw.
The barrels bore, crown, and just under the crown are places to check quality. Usually they fail but can be improved.
Changing caliber is an option too, but if anyone has a 500fps 177 then a 22 will be too slow, or a 22 going to 177 will likely break the limit and be ill-eagle. Either gun can be modded to the correct fps. Unlimited power guns simply change the barrel, no other mods needed.
I have details/whys and how to make/do all the above if anyone wants; chevota at hotmail for a care pkg

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:22 am 

i think reading what you wrote now worries me most about linkage pin attachment. If i am able to remove old one it will be ruined? Certainly will need an extra pin and maybe an extra cocking arm? I was going to try and re-use the parts from the stock barrel :/

Steel Force - TRG 1x40