Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Umearex Surge
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:13 am 

So the local Wally World has one last Surge at regular price of 125 with scope. Since this is the same clone as the Ruger Black Hawk at 280 in the local CT should i grab it?
Ive been wanting to buy a scope anyways so that's 50 bucks right there.
i would probably tune and re-spring to 1000 fps eventually.
thoughts?
tango
I am concerned there is no open site mounted and do not know if this is fixable.

Post subject: Re: Umearex Surge
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:20 pm 
Supporting Member

The Surge is a very nice air rifle after you've "fixed" it.

The trigger (copy of T-05) can be made into a true two stage, and my .177 Surge (currently in possession of my son-in-law who shoots pigeons for a local colony) is very very accurate. It has the higher powered spring and has had a full lube tune, extra weight in the butt stock, and an upgraded scope. (With the low power spring you can disassemble it without a spring compressor if you're careful.)

Except for the spring the "fixes" don't cost anything and are fun to do. All the various instructions are available somewhere in this forum.

The top of the breech block has two threaded holes which will accept bolts from a manual rear sight off many guns. The front is an issue though.

I bought another Surge after my original barrel got worn after many thousands (20,000?) of rounds so I swapped barrels onto the original and I use the worn barrel on the one I bought with the under 500fps spring in it. I'm on my 2nd front sight version, (I took the muzzle break off, drilled and "tapped" it (it's kind of soft) and put in an 8/32 piece of bolt), and the manual sights work really well.

Don't compare prices with Canadian Tire! I've had an XS46U (the same gun as a Browning Leverage) for some time which I bought from Scopes and Ammo for around $200 regular price, while CT just put it on sale at that price having listed it at $400. :shock:

The scope you get with a Surge is barely "ok". I used mine for quite a while with success until eventually the reticle which is embossed on a piece of plastic actually fell sideways. The objective lens on the included scope is adjustable if you remove the trim ring from the front of the scope and turn the inner ring by hand.

If you like to tinker, the Surge is a terrific learning tool and can make a really nice air rifle.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:48 pm 

If you can buy one, you can fit the front sight of a Ruger Blackhawk on the Surge's barrel. They both have a flat machined on the front of the barrel. The Surge and Blackhawk are ''clones'', you can also use the Blackhawk's rear sight on the Surge.

I have both rifles, and I love them! 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:37 am 

What peterG said. Awesome gun once broken in. If you are a tinkerer, this gun will reward you nicely. I put a Walther 4x32 on mine. Plan is to squeeze as much accuracy possible, am hell bent on making it a 25 yard target shooter. Right now, I think it's pellet choice, I have yet to try any match pellets, I have been using mainly Grizzly pellets from PA, and I can dime group those at 25 yards. It a great bang for the buck gun.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:03 am 

I simply have to stop buying these air rifles that come up on sale.
I don't have the time to tune them or shoot them :(
I wonder if my boss would mind if I took a week or two off work to catch up :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:32 pm 

SureShot: I feel you. For example my Umarex Octane is apart on the bench for over a year now. Next to it are two other rifles with similar status. They're fuzzy too, motor oiled metal collects dust like that was it's job.
Too many guns, too little free time. Well, if I stopped watching movies and certain shows like Game or Thrones I'd have the time, but what's a guy to do...

tango: I think for that price I'd get it. If it were me I'd at least replace the main seal and spring, but those are fairly easy to find and somewhat reasonably priced.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:28 pm 

What I should do is pack and airgun or two in my suitcase as I head out the door fir work.
I'm on the road a lot.

In fact I recall onetime while on my way to a service call pulling over on the side of the road to test out a brand new Benjamin NP rifle that I had just received from D&L Aigun.
It was hard to concentrate on my driving with the smell of a new air rifle in the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:52 am 

Thank you for all the inputs but I decided to purchase the PAL Crosman Quest for my next (177) air rifle. I think the lack of open sites spooked me. It is easier to add a scope than adopt open sites especially since the surge comes with a muzzle break. It was on sale for 100 plus 40 shipping and tax.
Just awaiting the post man.....
I still want a Surge but need the Visa to take a holiday for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:32 am 

Is the Crosman Surge identical to the Umarex Surge?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:17 am 

SureShot wrote:
Is the Crosman Surge identical to the Umarex Surge?

My mistake, my air rifle is actually a Umarex Surge not a Crosman Surge.