Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:05 am 

Will I need a spring compressor to put it in??

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:29 am 

PhantomMatt.22cal. wrote:

Spring compressor makes life easier. But if you don't ( it will cost you like 30$ to make )

If you got some wood, just put a piece on each end of a door jam. Take the barrel off ( so just the receiver ) Use a scissor jack from the car to compress the spring in. Its much safer than trying to push down onto the ground and putting in a pin, while holding.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:01 pm 

okayshooter wrote:

Spring compressor makes life easier. But if you don't ( it will cost you like 30$ to make )

If you got some wood, just put a piece on each end of a door jam. Take the barrel off ( so just the receiver ) Use a scissor jack from the car to compress the spring in. Its much safer than trying to push down onto the ground and putting in a pin, while holding.

Thanks that should work just fine

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:31 pm 

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:33 pm 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:10 pm 

Is this a get it to work with min work/cost kinda project, or would you be interested in extra work to get the most from it? For example; do you want to make sure the new main seal doesn't get cut up like the old one so the gun works better overall? Do you want the gun to be quieter? Easier on the scope? More accurate? Max power? I could go on but the point is there's lots of things than can improve it, and the mods are extremely cheap or free, it's just a matter of your time and some more or less common tools.
A spring compressor is up to you, but since it's apart I guess you figured it out. I'm in what is apparently a very small minority of people that compress them by hand. I estimate it takes ~50lbs to do the full power spring.
What brand/model scope and mounts? Kinda looks like Crosman/Centerpoint stuff but the mounts are throwing me off. I ask because the new power may cause problems there. For example if those are 22LR mounts they will need to be modded. Same with a 22LR or center fire scope. If you shoot at close range, like std 10M target then it should be modded imo.
Couple questions if you don't mind: That plastic end piece on the aft end of the spring guide, is that just a cap/cover that slides right off, or an integral part of the setup? I ask because if the newer integral type I'd like to see some detailed pix if you have time. Just send to chevota at hotmail so they don't clog up this thread.
If you know, what is the diameter of the spring wire, and about how well does it fit the guide? For example what is the ID of the spring, and is it safe to assume the guide is ~.475" dia (which is what US guns are)?
The info will help me help others with their guns and mods. Thanks....

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:21 pm 

I'm looking to turn this phantom into the devil any mod ideas for power and accuracy would be much appreciated. As for the scope it is a power line 3-9X32 variable zoom unsure of mounts, scope has been a major issue iam unsure if it even works well with this gun

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:48 pm 

I have just ordered the B18-00-4D main spring, breach seal and piston seal from onlinecamp.com $30.63 with shipping

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:27 pm 

As for the scope it is a power line 3-9X32 variable zoom unsure of mounts, scope has been a major issue iam unsure if it even works well with this gun

The powerLine scopes are made by Daisy and you can be sure it won't work with the Phantom. I have the exact same scope, it comes with the Daisy 953 - a pneumatic. Sorry to tell you this but you'll be shopping for an air rated scope, unless you intend to use the open sights. Wonder if the scope could still work on a pneumatic? If the reticle isn't too loose in there it could work on a pneumatic since these have no recoil. Guess you'll just have to experiment and see.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:32 pm 

Chevota wrote:
What brand/model scope and mounts?

The mounts are also the stock ones that come with the 953's Powerline scope. Couldn't tell you if they'd fit the Phantom, I wouldn't dare try it :!:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:50 pm 

Joolz wrote:
As for the scope it is a power line 3-9X32 variable zoom unsure of mounts, scope has been a major issue iam unsure if it even works well with this gun

The powerLine scopes are made by Daisy and you can be sure it won't work with the Phantom. I have the exact same scope, it comes with the Daisy 953 - a pneumatic. Sorry to tell you this but you'll be shopping for an air rated scope, unless you intend to use the open sights. Wonder if the scope could still work on a pneumatic? If the reticle isn't too loose in there it could work on a pneumatic since these have no recoil. Guess you'll just have to experiment and see.

Which scope would you recommend to look for? For around $50 range used or new

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:56 pm 

Just seen a Crosman centre point 4032 for $49.99 at Canadian tire.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:03 pm 

But that one is only a 4x zoom. If you enjoy the 3-9x zoom of the scope on the Phantom now, set it to 4x and see if you can live with that. Personally I enjoy the higher zoom, even at close range. Something about wanting to hit the thin mm wide line from my printed targets that I just couldn't do with a 4x magnification.
Maybe look online for something with more zoom? I'm not an expert on zooms, I honestly do not like them (prefer open sights, red dots, lasers and a decent peep sight if I could afford one) so maybe someone else here may recommend something.

Edit: if that scope on the Phantom isn't broke yet (big IF) then save it for when you get yourself a pneumatic gun. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you seem like a prime candidate for this disease a lot of us have. Meaning the Phantom ain't gonna be your last gun.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:10 pm 

Just seen a Crosman centre point 4032 for $49.99 at Canadian tire.

CP apparently got life time warranty so if you break it on a springer, guess contact them for a replacement. Just get a 1pc ring base ( 3 cross screws to keep it on and a grub screw to keep it from shifting )

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:04 pm 

You can continue to use the scope you have on it, the worst it can do is break... If you do the mods I sent and use at least 14.3gr pellets then the gun will be a lot easier on it. Not saying it'll survive, just saying it's possible and if you don't care about losing it then why not? And once broke they can often be fixed.
If you don't want to risk the scope then don't even fire it once because if it's weak then one shot might do it. Your first shot(s) will diesel, which I don't really believe matters to the scope, but I suppose it's possible. Either way it's best not to have the scope on at first because if you made a mistake, like with one of the seals, it could really stress test it.
If you want a scope for as cheap as possible I suppose I'd ask around for peep that upgraded their cheapie springer scope. I got a like new 3-9x40 for $20 a few years ago on Craigslist, and he delivered it! Be wary of cheap scopes, don't buy new or used unless you know it's good enough to survive and the quality is usable.
You will need new mounts, and hopefully a used scope will come with them. Or get ones like in the links I sent, or as a last resort you can modify yours.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next