Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:49 am 

I've got an HW98 with a Hawke Sidewinder scope, and I'm looking for an entry-level hard case for it. (Think basic protection, not checked baggage on a plane.) The complicating factor is that the scope is 4" wide across the turrets. This means that most entry-level hard cases simply won't close on it.

Does anyone have recommendations for a suitable case? The scoped gun is about 42.5"x9"x4", and I'd want some clearance all around it.

I'm looking at the Plano Pro Max Double Rifle Case (which might be just barely thick enough) and the Plano All Weather Double Rifle Wheeled Case (more expensive, but more room). Someone suggested maybe the Plano Airglide, but it's hard to tell if it'll fit, especially with the large sidewheel.

I'm not really interested in spending the money for a Pelican 1750 or Storm iM3200.

Can anyone think of another option I should look at?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:27 pm 

https://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/category.jsp?catid=75214

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:25 pm 

The Plastic Flambeau cases are great, the only thing I change out is the foam. The foam they put in is a little wimpy.

I like the waffle foam from the foam shop, they are more dense and they add great protection to you investment, and they are relatively cheap.

Biagio

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:03 pm 

I have several of these cases. They work well but do not stack if you want to place several in the trunk of a car.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Plano_Ver ... Scoped/249
Attachment:
plano case.jpg
plano case.jpg [ 17.78 KiB | Viewed 1812 times ]

Can you post a photo of your rifle with the requirement of 4" across the turrets?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:05 am 

Watertown wrote:
I have several of these cases. They work well but do not stack if you want to place several in the trunk of a car.
Can you post a photo of your rifle with the requirement of 4" across the turrets?

Right, that's the Plano "Airglide" case that I wasn't sure would fit. (Who names these things, anyway?)

As for the rifle, this is not mine but it's pretty well identical except that I don't have the bubble level:

My scope looks like this. From extreme left of the parallax/lighting knob to extreme right of the turret is 4".

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:05 am 

You don't have an entry level rifle and scope so perhaps you are not really looking for an entry level case. A side turret with a wheel would not want to be bumped so I don't think the cheap plano case is what you are looking for. I only use my side wheel at my home range so I never transport the scope with wheel installed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:37 pm 

So, in case anyone comes into this thread looking for the same thing as me, I ended up getting a Plano Airglide case. (I was tempted by the double-rifle Plano All-weather, but it turns out it wouldn't fit in my car with the kids in the back seat.)

Out-of-the-box, the gun would fit but only with the sidewheel removed from the scope.

I removed some of the extra foam from the forward padding (basically making the foam block flat on the bottom), and cut out a notch from the back chunk of foam to make room for the butt pad. Now it fits with the sidewheel on the scope, and all is good.