Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:11 pm 

Where can I find the best deal on a sub 300$ nitro piston air rifle ?

Trying to decide on these
- Benjamin Regal
- Crosman Nitro Venom
- Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk
- Benjamin Titan

Gun is for plinking on the resetting style targets and general target shooting. Small amount of pest control as well (ground hogs and crows) Was thinking a .22 but also I think the .177 will work. Best deal on one of these guns ??

Ruger Blackhawk .177
AA CZ200T .177

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:47 pm 

ground hogs in Ontario are very tough animals to kill I don't think you can take one down ethically with most air gun's.
Crows you need a small game permit in Ontario to hunt.

And good luck finding a good nitro piston for under 300$ that will take down game.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:20 pm 

FRANK wrote:
ground hogs in Ontario are very tough animals to kill I don't think you can take one down ethically with most air gun's.
Crows you need a small game permit in Ontario to hunt.

And good luck finding a good nitro piston for under 300$ that will take down game.

Plinking and targets are my main activity of choice. I think the guns I listed above are decent novice guns for my use.
Thanks for your opinion

Ruger Blackhawk .177
AA CZ200T .177

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:30 pm 

All 4 are basically the same guns, just with different barrels and stocks and might have different scope options. So really what your trying to decide whats looks the best.

If you just want target go 177 because easier and cheaper for pellets. Hunting I would go 22 to get the FPE.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:31 am 

Can you actually humanely kill a crow with a PAL rated .22 cal air rifle?
When I was a lad I recall shooting at crows with a .22 cal firearm and the crows would simply fly off. Maybe my shot placement was poor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:06 pm 

I've had no problem with a pal rated nitro piston .22 or the at44 in .22 to humanely take out crows with proper shot placement and within proper range for the airgun you're using. Also the hatsan 125 .177 with heavy lead also did very good.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:35 am 

SureShot wrote:
When I was a lad I recall shooting at crows with a .22 cal firearm and the crows would simply fly off. Maybe my shot placement was poor.

:lol: That's because they're the artful dodgers, not because they're invincible. When I was a youngster, I remember watching crows literally hop out of the way of my .22 cal PB shots, and then even stick around if they damn well wanted to. :) They're smart. They're quick, and they've got a great memory for places they shouldn't be. But they'll certainly succumb to a .22 pellet - even <500 - if you catch them off guard, and place the shot well.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:38 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
SureShot wrote:

:lol: That's because they're the artful dodgers, not because they're invincible. When I was a youngster, I remember watching crows literally hop out of the way of my .22 cal PB shots, and then even stick around if they damn well wanted to. :) They're cocky. They're smart. They're quick, and they've got a great memory for places they should and shouldn't be. But they'll certainly succumb to a .22 pellet - even <500 - if you catch them off guard, and place the shot well.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:50 am 

Hey Camps. D and L has some in your range. I use a Pal Nitro Venom around the farm yard for rodent controle. Using a low power airgun on ground hog is probably not a good idea. The are suprisingly tough

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:56 am 

Hillbilly wrote:
Hey Camps. D and L has some in your range. I use a Pal Nitro Venom around the farm yard for rodent controle. Using a low power airgun on ground hog is probably not a good idea. The are suprisingly tough

Thanks
I'm not too worried about the groundhogs I have powder burners for that I will check out their website thank you

Ruger Blackhawk .177
AA CZ200T .177

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:26 am 

Maybe save up and buy an Airforce Texan :) That will be a clean kill and it's a good rifle for plinking as well close or far :)

Beeman RS2 Camo - Tuned by Barbas929/Centerpoint 3-9x40
Winchester 500XS - Centerpoint 4x32 PA
Steel Force - TRG 1x40

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:56 pm 

Using .22HP longrifle ammo, within the range you can make positive head and centre chest shots, will reliably kill ground hogs.

Due to the problems of range and power (too short and too low) of the .22 LR w/HP's, I switched to a 6.5 Rem.Mag. and a P.O.Ackley built .22-250.

I suspect once you exceed .25 calibre in an adjustable power PCP as in a .30 or larger you should have 'enough' for a ground hog out to 100yards. For a .25 PCP to work, you would need a bullet, I suspect, not a 'normal' pellet. I know of no break barrel air rifle powerful enough for a woodchuck.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:34 pm 

I screwed up and tried to dispatch a ground hog with a 22 short close to the house. I am a good shot but bad outcome. Lesson learned.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:48 pm 

Hillbilly wrote:
bad outcome. Lesson learned.

did he attack you? hahaha

Beeman RS2 Camo - Tuned by Barbas929/Centerpoint 3-9x40
Winchester 500XS - Centerpoint 4x32 PA
Steel Force - TRG 1x40

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:29 pm 

No but he was pissed. Quite the adventure to fix my screw up. He made a dash for the nearest shed of course. You can pretty much imagine the rest