Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Zeroing a scope for FT
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:51 pm 

Do FT shooters adjust their elevation turrets for near and far shooting or do they shoot a little above or below the target depending on distance? If they shoot above or below at what distance do they zero their scope?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:27 pm 

That is a bit of a loaded question that has quite a few answers.

If you are shooting in open or WFTF divisions, I would recommend clicking for each distance for the precision needed to be competitive in those divisions. I centre my scope at a distance that allows the zero to encompass as many yards as possible. You can do all the figuring on ChairGun to find out the zero. My Steyr LG100 shooting JSB 7.9 pellets at 820 fps or just a little slower is zeroed at 29 yards, giving me a zero from 23 to 31 yards with one eighth clicks. I would probably spread that to 22 to 33 yards if my scope had quarter clicks. The scope is mounted fairly high at 2.25" from centre bore on the barrel to the centre of the scope. This is just one example. A high power rig would have a wider zero and mounting the scope high would not be as crucial.

For a hunter rig, you cannot click so mil-dots have to be used. The power of the rig makes a big difference in where you zero. My underpowered FWB300 had to be zeroed at about 40 yards in order to get the 55 yards shot still matching up with a mil-dot. l figured out all my hold spots for every distance and held low for the shots between 40 and 12 yards and then held high for the shots extremely close or those beyond 40. With the high powered hunter I have, I zeroed at about 38 yards and held dead on for anything between 23 and 40 yards. I would hold just below the centre of the hit zone for shots from 27 to 35 yards. For distances outside 12 to 40 yard range I held up the appropriate amount.

Just a few example to give you an idea. My favourite part is doing the shooting and adjusting the chart accordingly. I had one of those days today and it was great to be out shooting.