Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:01 am 

I use an old break barrel Beeman for shooting the frogs. Usually do it pretty close up. Quite often the big dummies just sit there.
Still learning the scope, but it doesn't seem real happy for close up shooting. Or if I do, the hold under is like four mil dots!
I'm selling a brand new Benjamin Marauder if you want to upgrade. They're sort of the gateway gun to PCP and quite accurate.
You're close! I'm up by Qualicum Beach!!!
Good to meet you
Richard

C.E. ProChrono
Caldwell "The Rock" benchrest
Beeman break barrel for shooting bullfrogs
TenPoint Stealth FX Crossbow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:14 pm 

dabbler wrote:
I use an old break barrel Beeman for shooting the frogs. Usually do it pretty close up. Quite often the big dummies just sit there.
Still learning the scope, but it doesn't seem real happy for close up shooting. Or if I do, the hold under is like four mil dots!
I'm selling a brand new Benjamin Marauder if you want to upgrade. They're sort of the gateway gun to PCP and quite accurate.
You're close! I'm up by Qualicum Beach!!!
Good to meet you
Richard

Hey Richard,

Yeah I picked up a couple of rugers cheap off craigslist in a package deal ( both for 75 bucks, so can't complain) after we moved to the new place ( with the bullfrogs) , the better of the two is a ruger blackhawk, which is ok, but not great. It's a small target, even at only 20 feet, so accuracy outweighs power, but naturally I want both... :P
I suspect the blackhawk's spring is getting weak, so I'm debating buying a replacement for it +seals etc, don't think it's worth putting a $100 tuning kit into. or just buying new. (leaning towards buying new)

Unfortunately I don't have a pal, so I suspect your marauder is out of the question for me. I'll probably get the pal , but what I'd like is to get a gun that's a good solid machine that's worth upgrading at a later date. I'm not that big of an air gun guy, so I'd prefer to buy one and have it be the last one I ever need to buy.

I've just been procrastinating on posting up a thread, while I read 8 billion online reviews....

cheers,
Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:06 am 

Frogs - WOW - Frogs - Memories!! I shot a hundreds & hundreds of bull frogs on the mill pond, back in Dorchester, Ont. I found out quickly, that the wide spinal plate, would parallelize the frog with a hit anywhere on it's up to 2" or so width on a huge bull frog. Oh man - frogs legs, rolled in salted and peppered flour and fried in butter - YUMMMMMMMMMMY. Some of those monster bull frogs legs were up to 2" in diameter in the drum stick end, with decent meat on the lowers too. So tender, so juicy - so delicately flavoured - oh I miss them now! We had such fun, as small town kids - the ponds for fishing and frogging, the tobacco farm irrigation ponds for swimming, farms for hunting all year round! YEAH!

Thanks for the memory jog.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:04 am 

I don't eat the bullfrogs!
Some our bullfrogs, at least when I started shooting, were quite large. Like as wide as my hand - which is pretty wide.
My grand daughter started raising ducks and the bullfrogs sucked the feet off of two of her ducks - so it was full on warfare.
Not a whole lot there now. At least in that pond. The smaller pond I haven't been patrolling.
Truth is, shooting bullfrogs is easier for me with open sights. I use my old break barrel Beeman for that.
I've also learned that if you approach the frogs with a cover sound - like a lawn mower or tractor, it's almost like they don't even know you're there.
They must be trained to hear footsteps or something.

My bigger game now is rabbits. They're getting into the garden and blueberries. Got a night vision scope (NiteSite) and am hoping to declare war soon. Just about have figured out how the scope works at long range and close up.

C.E. ProChrono
Caldwell "The Rock" benchrest
Beeman break barrel for shooting bullfrogs
TenPoint Stealth FX Crossbow