Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Hatsan 135 Question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:22 am 

Okay I'm looking at buying a used Hatsan 135 air rifle in .177 cal.
I've done a search online but I can't figure out if this is a springer or an NP. Which is it?
I have read that this is a powerful air rifle, so powerful that it's not recommended for use with a scope. Is this true?
I certainly don't mind iron sights, the rifle does come with them.

The box states that it's a Quattro with SAS. I'm guessing that means it has the Quattro trigger and the SAS shoulder pads.

Post subject: Re: Hatsan 135 Question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:49 am 

Quote:
Which is it?

I believe there are two models; a steel spring model, and a Vortex gas piston. . . It could be either. . . .
SAS refers to a dampener device in addition to, and separate from the butt pad. And yes, Quattro trigger; adjustable two stage.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:12 am 

The 135 is too powerful IMO for a 177. As far as the scope is concerned ,I've got a Leapers 3x9 that has lasted several hundred shots with no issue . Just have to get a suitable mount for the scope .
With a good tune it can be tamed to be a joy to shoot, in 177 you'll need to find some heavy pellets above 13 grain.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:30 am 

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Nowhere on the box does it state that it's a Vortex gas piston model. Is that the same as an NP?
So I'm assuming it's a springer.

I have shot a couple of pellets through it just to test it's functionality. The trigger is very light and crisp, little vibration but loud, really loud.
Even when shooting your typical Crosman pointed at 7 grains.
From what I've learned from the YouTube reviews it is not recommended that you shoot lightweight alloy pellets in this air rifle as it may damage it.
If I do buy this one I won't be shooting in in my backyard, I'll head to my local rifle range.

The scope that comes with it is a simple Centerpoint model. I may remove it and just use the iron sights.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:07 pm 

If you want to get technical, the Vortex system is different from the NP because it uses air rather than nitrogen. But yes it's the same idea.

From what I've read the Vortex system can be adjusted to different pressures, which would be nice for tuning a gun like this.

The SAS refers to Hatsan's vibration dampening mechanism.

Crosman 357
Diana model 2
Hatsan AT44
Schofield No.3
Berreta PX4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:01 pm 

I ordered a model 125 .22 but received a .177 and was told it would be quite awhile before a .22 would be in so kept .177. It was loud with 8g polymags but quieter with 10.34 grain jsb's and did quiet down some more after a few hundred shots. Definitely go with heavy lead! Look under stock by trigger guard and you can see the spring. At least on 125 you could. Invest in a good mount and scope if you chose to scope it. Had a few issues with mount moving a bit and throwing off zero. Weaver style rings may or weaver style one piece mount may help. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:43 pm 

X2 on Hobbyman's post. The guns are a balance of parts and dimensions and 177 is too small for it, which is probably why it's for sale. That gun should be in 22 or 25, but 22 is an excellent choice since 25 is a bit slow and 25 pellets are $. It shouldn't hurt it to shoot lighter pellets like you've been doing, but they're likely going super sonic which is really annoying. Plus as you pass 900 on up to SS your accuracy goes south. I don't have too much trouble but I try to not to go past 1000.
My guess is 13+gr so I'd get the 13.4gr JSB, but I'd also try the 16.2gr. The H&N Rabbit Magnums will no doubt be a complete failure so I would not waste the $.
You can put in a gas spring if you want. Like the one for the Benj Trail XL should fit it, you just have to do a couple mods to make it work. I think that spring would be ~$60CA from Gravel Agency, Crosman part # BT1500-00-2
That spring is 300mm oal, and stroke is 131mm. I'm 98% sure it'll work in that gun but you'd have to take it apart and measure to be certain. If you want an actual Hatsan gas spring then you're on your own finding it. Either way I cant say a gas spring will be worth the trouble or $, but that's up to you.
Yes the 135 is hard on scopes, but I think the 177 version would be more gentle, even more so if the heavier 13 and especially 16gr pellets are used, and even more so if you tuned the gun. If I did all that I wouldn't worry about the scope any more than with a regular springer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:10 am 

I've watched YouTube video reviews of this air rifle in .30 cal.
I was surprised that the fps for the .30 cal pellets was only 550 fps but that was with 45 grain pellets.

The general consensus is that due to the amount of required effort to cock this powerful break barrel that it's not meant to be a backyard plinker but rather a hunting air rifle.

Still, I'm intrigued, I'm still interested in this air rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:11 am 

For the right price ,say 200.00$ cad I would buy it. I'm sure you could find the right pellets ,I beleive "sniper" Dan from the forum store could get what you need for lead. My .22 is a tack driver,as long as I do my part . The stock alone is worth 200 IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:19 am 

I do have some Stoeger X-Magnum pellets at 11.57 grains to try out.
Crosman Pointed at 7.5 grains will probably bee too light.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:01 am 

SureShot wrote:
I've watched YouTube video reviews of this air rifle in .30 cal.
I was surprised that the fps for the .30 cal pellets was only 550 fps but that was with 45 grain pellets.

The general consensus is that due to the amount of required effort to cock this powerful break barrel that it's not meant to be a backyard plinker but rather a hunting air rifle.

Still, I'm intrigued, I'm still interested in this air rifle.

Hi SureShot,
I am very interested in purchasing the .30cal but do you know when we can get it here?
Thanks,

Captain Air