Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:22 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

There is no such thing as a small game licence in B.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:26 am 

scruffie wrote:
There is no such thing as a small game licence in B.C.

ive realised that. theres no species license for small game, upland birds, or wolf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:16 pm 

Actually there's a license for hunting migratory birds. You can purchase it for $17CAD+13% tax in a post office. I'm not sure every post office has it though, so it's best that you call and confirm before actually going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:20 pm 

paulw86 wrote:
Actually there's a license for hunting migratory birds. You can purchase it for $17CAD+13% tax in a post office. I'm not sure every post office has it though, so it's best that you call and confirm before actually going.
in the 06/07 hunting and trapping synipsos book it says no species license or hunting license needed to hunt Small Game animals in Shedule C or Upland Birds in Shedule C. Migratory birds were under a different categorie.

I was confused on that at first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:09 am 

etnies I know that you are aware of the one million dollar liability insurance that a hunter must carry if he is to hunt game including migratory birds in the Lower mainland.
According to the Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis:

Evidence of current $1,000,000 public liability and property damage insurance must be provided to obtain a Fraser Valley Special Hunting Licence. This licence is automatically invalid if the insurance coverage is not maintained. A BCWF membership card with insurance notation, a letter from your insurance agent on company letterhead or the policy itself is proof of insurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:05 am 

scruffie wrote:
etnies I know that you are aware of the one million dollar liability insurance that a hunter must carry if he is to hunt game including migratory birds in the Lower mainland.
According to the Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis:

Evidence of current $1,000,000 public liability and property damage insurance must be provided to obtain a Fraser Valley Special Hunting Licence. This licence is automatically invalid if the insurance coverage is not maintained. A BCWF membership card with insurance notation, a letter from your insurance agent on company letterhead or the policy itself is proof of insurance.

I am so confused, it says that I dont need a Hunting licnse, species license, or gun registration if I want to hunt a god danm squirrel with a 490FPS Air Rifle!

I just want to hunt a squirrel...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:43 am 

You have not filled your profile out but said that you live in BC. (Big place with different rules depending on where you live. Can not give you the proper info that you seek with out a little smaller locale. You have posted about migratory birds so could only make assumption that you wished to hunt them. That is why I posted the info that I did. This is the first time that I have read that you only wanted to hunt squirrel. Again I point out that I have know idea where you roughly live so this is general. No discharge of airguns is allowed outside in any municipalities in the lower mainland. Grey and Fox squirrels can be killed at any time but you are only legally allowed to shoot NE of Mission or east of Chilliwack, up Jones or silver lake way. North of Squamish. Check the regs. where you find it legal to hunt big game you can hunt your squirrels. Problem is the squirrels that you are allowed to hunt are an introduced species considered a pest. and their range has not really extended that far out yet. As of the early 70's all breeding pairs were still in Stanley Park. The experts said that they were not a threat as they were surrounded by water on 3 sides and Vancouver to the south. Ya right. They don't know how they got south across the Fraser. Good thing is that they do not seem to be hurting our own indigenous species of squirrel (protected).

Long story short: If you live in the Lower Mainland you are hooped for airgun hunting.

You can hunt for migratory birds with a shotgun in areas of the LowerMainland but must have the liability insurance. Makes sense that you can use a Shotgun but not a pellet gun, Hey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:39 am 

I must be retarded or something, I read the whole book that my dad got from canadian tire....I live in the okanagan by the border of US/CAN and live in region 8-8 and half of family lives in 8-9

page 10 in the book has all the fees right? under small game it says no license required to hunt upland game, birds and Small game. Are you saying that yea I dont need to buy a species license for birds in my region, but I would have to buy a permit? Im thinking that I can only hunt small game.

page 14 has the shedules for animals. Shedule C says "you do not need a hunting license to hunt the following Shedule C Wildlife" this includes grey squirrels and Fox Squirrels

page 85 has the Okanagan Region, page 87 has the Open seasons, at the bottom it has all the types of Geese and ducks and I think those are the birds your talking about that I cant hunt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:48 pm 

I have asked this before. Have you taken and passed the C.O.R.E. program. This course must be taken in order to be able to purchase a hunting licence.

On page 10 it clearly states that one does not need a species licence (Tag)for upland game birds. But you MUST have a hunting licence. (Licence required.) IE: If you were to hunt Black Bear you would need a Hunting licence. Now that you have a hunting licence you are allowed to purchase a species licence. (Tag) All Big game requires a separate Licence that must be purchased if you are going to hunt them. In your area you are allowed to harvest 2 blackies a season. So in this Case you would be allowed to purchase 2 species tags.

Lets now take an upland game bird like grouse. In your area you must have a hunting licence to harvest grouse. You do not need to purchase a separate species tag for each grouse that is shot. This is where you are getting confused. Between a hunting licence and a species licence. Either way, it is all academic unless you have the CORE course.
Any animal on the Okanagan General Open Seasons page can not be shot with out a Hunting licence and in order to get that you need the Core Course.

Some Fantastic WhiteTail hunting in your area so if you don't have it get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:20 pm 

scruffie wrote:
I have asked this before. Have you taken and passed the C.O.R.E. program. This course must be taken in order to be able to purchase a hunting licence.

On page 10 it clearly states that one does not need a species licence (Tag)for upland game birds. But you MUST have a hunting licence. (Licence required.) IE: If you were to hunt Black Bear you would need a Hunting licence. Now that you have a hunting licence you are allowed to purchase a species licence. (Tag) All Big game requires a separate Licence that must be purchased if you are going to hunt them. In your area you are allowed to harvest 2 blackies a season. So in this Case you would be allowed to purchase 2 species tags.

Lets now take an upland game bird like grouse. In your area you must have a hunting licence to harvest grouse. You do not need to purchase a separate species tag for each grouse that is shot. This is where you are getting confused. Between a hunting licence and a species licence. Either way, it is all academic unless you have the CORE course.
Any animal on the Okanagan General Open Seasons page can not be shot with out a Hunting licence and in order to get that you need the Core Course.

Some Fantastic WhiteTail hunting in your area so if you don't have it get it.

your talking about birds? lol Squirrelss!!! your telling me I need ah unting license for a squirreL?

my moms bf went hunting whitetail this morning