Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Monopod for FT
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:51 pm 

Sorry, didn't read previous posts and duplicated extract from CAFTA's rules.
However, my take on this subject is that if the rule doesn't say that you can't, then I take it that I can!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:55 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I'm getting lost here.

Is the question "can I brace the monopod against my body?"

My opinion is YES you are allowed. BUT to be 'official' I'll contact the rest of the CAFTA BoG to discuss with them.

The 'theme' of HFT is to simulate hunting, in a 'pure manner'. We still have to put some rules on it, and have learned a lot from the US HFT crowd (i.e. there wasn't a US rule stating you couldn't hammer it into the ground, and a guy used this technique at the US Nats and blew everyone else away)

We also removed the ability to use a shooting specifc jacket (but any other jacket is allowed - a tight leather motorcycle jacket works well)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:56 am 

I treat it just like a hunting situation, so if you brace it using your body is just like the position others get into to shoot, using your body for support. Same as you can use natural things like a tree to lean against.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:05 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I confirmed that you can support the monopod using your body!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:14 pm 

pirellip wrote:
I confirmed that you can support the monopod using your body!

Huh, well thanks, that's interesting. I'd given monopod shooting a try last year when just starting HFT but had no luck with it. My shots were more wobbly, and in an unpredictable way compared to just standing and shooting. Seated on a low stool and supporting arms on legs has been by far the best for stability. I noted one shooter doing quite well with a golf club bent under a foot and across a knee, stressing it to achieve rather impressive stillness and an almost rock solid support. But I was told by a more experienced HFT shooter that this would not be allowed in competition, so I gave it no further thought. If it's 'legal' it may be worth another look.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:21 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

A golf club isn't a monopod!

Let's all remember that Field Target in Canada is present because a few individuals have a passion for the sport, wanted to see it expand in Canada and also wanted to register Canada with the World Field Target Federation (WFTF). The Canadian Airgun Field Target Association (CAFTA) was born as a result of these individuals donating A LOT of time doing their best to set this up. They're not Lawyers, weren't paid to do this, and actually really didn't get anything out of doing this besides the satisfaction of 'giving back' or 'paying it forward', or whatever other saying you want to use for being good people and trying to improve a shooting sport in Canada.

So the rules aren't perfect, and honestly they never will be (the WFTF rules are continually going through revisions too, which is tough when you have 20+ countries all providing input)

But we're Canadian, which means we are all reasonable, helpful people and shouldn't have to outline every possible rule in an attempt to prevent participants from 'reading between the lines' and gaining an advantage 'because the rules don't say you can't' - So when looking at the rules and trying to determine what you can and cannot do, everyone should ask themselves "Does it seem unfair?" "Does it 'fit' with the 'theme' of the current rules?" If it doesn't then you probably shouldn't do it, or at least inquire about it in a mature, thoughtful way.

I'm not suggesting that the inquiry wasn't done in a mature, thoughtful way, it was, but extending this discussion to using a golf club.. well we could spend all day discussing these sorts of things. "what about a hockey stick? How about a field hockey stick? What if I take a monopod and put a 90 degree bend in it? - it's still less than 1-1/2" in diameter, so it must be allowed..." See where I'm going with this?

I feel that Canadian Field Target isn't really about beating others, but about spending quality time with like minded individuals. There are many other shooting sports that are competitive in this regard. Those who consistently post high scores do so because they've dedicated time to participating in the sport and preparing their equipment and processes for the match, not because they're ultra competitive. When we're shooting a match people help each other out - even though they're competing against each other. This isn't necessarily the case in other countries, or at international competitions - I've personally experienced this, and it was a real eye-opener as to how nice and helpful we Canadians are.

Think about what goes into a FT match - a few dedicated volunteers buy targets, reset strings, string spools and stakes, then paint the targets before each match, check them to ensure they function properly, arrive early, setup the targets, stay late and tear down their targets. They pay for all these supplies themselves, and still pay the entrance fee to shoot at that match. Plus someone has to organize the shooting dates with the shooting club, send out attendance emails, construct/print scorecards, order awards and post the results.

We do the best we can, but, like everyone else, we're busy people, and this is our 'fun time' - it's important that it remains fun!

I only do a small part of this volunteering, and have been for 6+ years. I'd be happy to 'pass the torch' to someone else and just show up at a match, shoot, then go home. But no one's raised their hand and offered to pitch in and help out. And of course, being Canadian, we're too polite to ask :D !

GerardSamija wrote:
Huh, well thanks, that's interesting. I'd given monopod shooting a try last year when just starting HFT but had no luck with it. My shots were more wobbly, and in an unpredictable way compared to just standing and shooting. Seated on a low stool and supporting arms on legs has been by far the best for stability. I noted one shooter doing quite well with a golf club bent under a foot and across a knee, stressing it to achieve rather impressive stillness and an almost rock solid support. But I was told by a more experienced HFT shooter that this would not be allowed in competition, so I gave it no further thought. If it's 'legal' it may be worth another look.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:49 pm 

Sorry if I said something out of turn. The golf club in question should perhaps be clarified. He had the shaft and grip of a club, the head sawn off. He was perhaps in violation regarding the footprint of the club being undersized - a simple rubber cane tip would suffice to bring that up to scale so it couldn't be jammed into the ground. The other end was certainly conservative in terms of notnprividing undue support to the rifle. The only significant difference between the club and a monopod was the lack of a telescoping feature, but heck, I've not seen any specification which prohibits fixed-length poles, nor tent pole style multi-piece ones either which is what I was using. The only element which seemed odd was the flexing of the stick against his leg, adding a stabilizing component to the position which seemed questionable. But if the board says that's alright then there seems no cause for complaint.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:25 pm 

Well said Tom ! I appreciate the effort that went into the creation of FT in Canada. I'm bummed at the moment because I've torn up my shoulder and back and will miss the Nationals and Worlds this year but I'm thinking that an HW100 with a bucket and monopod will allow me to keep shooting in the hunter class.

I like the rule that states no extra attachment point to the monopod (paraphrasing) as in the USA I've seen people who have used shooting sticks (they're allowed there) with a chain or rope attached to the bucket that essentially turns it into a tripod ! No doubt a much steadier platform to shoot from but it reduces the challenge.

Air Arms FTP900
Air Arms TX200 MK III
CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:05 pm 

We have a shooter who makes fixed length monopods and they seam to comply with what is asked for in the rules. Guys have been known to use a simple stick with a y at the end. Just remember as Tom said THINK and ASK simple rite.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:04 am 

from what I was told when I went to the nationals is that mono pod could not be supported by the leg, hand only and a hamster only allowed with a custom bought stock but rules can change. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:55 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

mangerover wrote:
from what I was told when I went to the nationals is that mono pod could not be supported by the leg, hand only and a hamster only allowed with a custom bought stock but rules can change. :)

Who at the Nationals told you this?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:03 pm 

Reading all of these seemingly convoluted positions, or imagining them, makes my back ache. Maybe I need not try FT! IF you can get both elbows resting on something- it's quite steady.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:09 pm 

No hamster unless it's a custom stock? WHAT?! If that was an actual rule, it would seem to be a rule in need of revisiting and either modification of deletion. Would my 13ci Ninja bottle count as a Hamster? It's something I mounted, so not on a 'custom' stock per se, and I use it as a hamster for standing and seated shots. I'd like to see where such a rule is written...