Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:11 am 

Hi, was wondering if anyone has had a diana 34 classic apart and done mainspring work. Planning to replace spring and seal but need to know what will fit this rifle as a drop in replacement without having to cut coils of new spring. I know vortec makes a drop in kit but was wondering about a titan xs #1 spring and any others.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:06 pm 

There are many drop in springs for it, but if you want to get into detail like the best fit and/or most power then it's more involved and likely Vortek is the only place to go. I just order Vortek with only one end finished, then cut it to max length that fits the gun and finish it myself. If you want less power/longer life you can cut it shorter. I can explain more but tell me exactly what you're after.
The main seal that came with the gun is likely very nice, depending the age, if so I'd try to reuse it after a little work. So far I haven't found a better replacement but the Vortek O-ring seal seems very good. I think the oem seal, once modified a bit, is better, but if just buying and slapping it in I think the O-ring is your best bet. And the O-ring is cheap and easy to replace if needed. You do need to smooth all the sharp edges in the receiver tube so it doesn't tear up the O-ring.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:50 am 

Thanks for advice, have decide to go with Vortek kit but not the oring seal. Seems like the best choice as I don't want to rework a spring. Hoping that it will come in a few days. Spent yesterday building a press to take rifle apart, seem like a straight forward job. Will post when job is done.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:08 am 

Well made a spring compressor worked fine and put in vortec kit. Used a different piston seal that I ordered from somewhere in Aus. was more like the diana seal. Seal that came from vortec was not like they show on website. I wrote them about it seems they have change what they include in the kit. Took awhile to get the gun out and crono it but was out today and gun is shooting a consistent 850 fps. With a max spread in 10 shots of 8 fps never got as strong or consistent shooting before. That is with h&n field target trophy 8.64 grains pellets. Still have to put scope back on. Gun is also quieter like they say it will be with the vortec kit. Very happy the way things turned out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:37 pm 

Good deal, glad you got it working. I don't suppose you have a pix of that Aussie seal? Or a link?
Was the Vortek seal yellow? The red and yellow are both unsat imo, which is why I think people should get the O-ring one if their oem seal is too trashed beyond repair. Do you have a pix of the one they sent? I'm curious if it's changed since I bought last.
So I assume the spring is whatever came with the tune kit? Did you note the # of coils? I ask because the velocity is low so I was curious how short it was and/or if it was thinner wire? I try to keep track of that stuff for when people ask. I'd be sure the breech seal is sealing too because it's ok if power is low from a weak spring, but not ok if either the breech or main seal is leaking. If all is well then you likely just have a shorter spring, which is common and it gives you the option to shim it to adj the power up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:08 am 

The seal that came with the vortek kit was black. Sorry I did not count the spring coils and write it down. But I think I counted them and there were fewer then the factory one. But don't quote me on that. The seal itself seems smaller then the factory and then the azzie one, smaller as in thinner. I did not take any pictures.