Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Should he have called the cops?
Poll ended at Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:41 pm
Yes 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
No 68%  68%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 19
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:48 pm 

A quick story related to the OP

Just had an interesting call with a very pleasant retiree lady who is so excited that she now has a BB gun (a red Ryder no less! I like her already) and she wanted to talk to someone in person from GTAC about getting some info on the how's and where's of use... she has a friend who is an active police officer and who has gotten his son a bb gun and is helping encourage her to pursue airguns as her retired hobby.. so far so good except... the officer has ensured her that is it perfectly ok to shoot in her back yard and that he and his son do that all the time. I was able to correct this miss-information by citing the Toronto by-law prohibition and she was concerned that he did not know about it.. to which I replied he would (should) know the criminal code but this is a City by-law and he isn't a by-law officer.

We had a great long chat about a lot of things and she is just over the moon excited to come visit the club this Monday. And to shoot legally and safely.

Perhaps her officer friend will soon be calling to join with his son.....

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:29 pm 

Plinkercases wrote:
...the officer has ensured her that is it perfectly ok to shoot in her back yard and that he and his son do that all the time. I was able to correct this miss-information by citing the Toronto by-law prohibition and she was concerned that he did not know about it.

Is there a unified Toronto bylaw (just curious). The Etobicoke bylaw has an exemption for shooting on private property, for example, as long as the projectile doesn't leave the confines of the private property.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:09 pm 

I live in Etobicoke and looked up the bylaw regarding firearms discharge on private property. Turns out you can as long as the projectile doesn't pass beyond the confines of the private property.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/etobicoke ... 33_130.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:34 pm 

I shoot airguns in my house only. Out of sight, out of mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:09 am 

SureShot wrote:
I've tried approaching my local rifle ranges to setup an airgun group but they aren't interested.

Why do you need a special airgun group? As long as they have targets within 50m you should be good to go at a regular range, no?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:39 am 

For some reason firearms ranges seem to share a general distaste for airguns. I suspect it is a mixture of legitimate complaints and ignorance of the details of what airguns are about. Legitimate, because they probably get lots of young guys with their Walmart specials or even airsoft stuff wanting to shoot at the range. These guys are generally dangerous to themselves and to others as they lack discipline and focus, upsetting the RO. Ignorance, because they don't make allowances for the fact that there are also airgun folk who thoroughly understand range safety and manners and just need a place to shoot. We all end up lumped together somehow as an unwelcome breed. Funny thing, but most of the guys at HFT meets are also powderburner guys, who happen also to enjoy airguns. Too bad it doesn't often work out the other way around. Seems like more education is needed all around.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:31 am 

I would think that the realism of airgun pistols would make them good practice on the range for handling "real" firearm pistols. But of course the possibility of ricochet is greater.

I think that maybe range members don't consider airguns as real firearms but as toys.
If they saw a high end PCP air rifle in action they might change their minds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:55 pm 

We have a Airgun Section with 2 directors. As yet, they haven't started an outdoor FT course, but there is talk about this. Wintertime sees the air rifle silhouette and 10 meter target shooters practicing 3 days a week on our indoor range. The winter time is the only time the indoor range is used for shooting - and only for air guns.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:31 am 

Police dont enforce bylaws. Thats what bylaw officers are for. Dont ask cops or bylaw officers about the law, they usually dont know, and they are not lawyers.
If you cant find the info online, go to to the clerks office, usually at city hall, ask the town clerk, and for a copy of the bylaw.

If the cops come and want to be a pain, they can charge you with weapons dangerous or something stupid like that. You dont want that.
If you have a basement, shoot there until you have an answer. As others have said, its almost always illegal to shoot outdoors in a city.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:38 am 

Well put, paddyfritz!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:33 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
Police dont enforce bylaws. Thats what bylaw officers are for. Dont ask cops or bylaw officers about the law, they usually dont know, and they are not lawyers.
If you cant find the info online, go to to the clerks office, usually at city hall, ask the town clerk, and for a copy of the bylaw.

If the cops come and want to be a pain, they can charge you with weapons dangerous or something stupid like that. You dont want that.
If you have a basement, shoot there until you have an answer. As others have said, its almost always illegal to shoot outdoors in a city.

As stated, the website is horrid and gives no info. Look it up yourself.

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:30 am 

Relax.
Cops in my area threatened to seize my bow after somebody complained of gun shots close to their house.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:09 am 

Miss the old days.

Back in the 60s and 70s in Alberta it was a sign of good character if a neighbor saw you shooting a pellet gun, bow or sling shot in your yard. Everyone thought you were simply normal.
Riding a bike with an air rifle on your back was as common a sight as the milk man.

What the hell happened? Guessing urbanization or too much violent TV.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:06 pm 

dabbler wrote:
There is a BC site that tells you where it is and isn't legal in BC. I looked the other day to make sure it was ok to shoot at my farm outside Qualicum Beach. It appears to be legal here, but not in many, or actually ANY, of the bigger towns. Can't remember what I googled to find it. Maybe "Can I shoot my airgun in my area Vancouver Island" or something like that.
I would suspect it's illegal. The cops though are gun lovers, so I would imagine they'd be lenient.
Plus, if they didn't seize your gun or give you a ticket, I'd say you might be ok.
Not sure I'd do it with an expensive gun, though.

If you find the site PLEASE post it!

I bet there are no Gun-racks in pick-up trucks in Canada, since it is supposed to be locked up during transit! Where I grew up in Montana EVERY pick-up had a gun rack with a .22 and fishing rod in the summer and hunting rifles in the fall.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:47 am 

There's the map on this page:

https://silvercore.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... aining-bc/

The full version of the most recent version of that map is here:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hu ... AH2015.pdf

And there's these PDF files for the Island and the southwestern part of the mainland:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hu ... gion_1.pdf

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hu ... gion_1.pdf

I start to get blurry pretty quickly staring at those... what I'd really like is a simple map with a few areas circled saying IT'S OKAY TO SHOOT AIRGUNS HERE! But that's asking a lot I guess...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next