Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: plastic insert
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:45 pm 

Hello,can one of you guy's show me a picture of the plastic insert that goes on the cocking lever of an HW,I would like to get one for my HW 30.any comments would be great as well.

Post subject: Re: plastic insert
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:33 pm 

I have this pix which I got from elsewhere. I'd guess it's an HW50 linkage since it has the roller. Having a roller I'm not sure why this guy put the plastic one in, but whatever the case the plastic should be about where the roller is, not fwd of it because if fwd it may catch on the receiver. The roller is about as far fwd as you want to go. I'm fairly certain that insert is a Maccari version, which you can buy if you can find it on his website. Thankfully I saved the link which is in the pix :).
Apparently his doesn't fit all the linkages correctly, so you may need to modify it anyway, so I'd rather just make my own which is free and ready the same day.
So on to making your own: I suppose 15mm long would be fine, and obviously wide enough so it won't slide within the linkage, and deep enough that it can't go deeper in the linkage but stick out far enough, like the roller, so the linkage cannot touch the receiver.
You can make it out of whatever tough plastic you have at hand. Like that tough but semi-flexible stuff toothbrushes are made from, or a hair brush. You could also laminate plastic sheet, like soda bottles, retail blister pkgs, those little removable dividers that come with tackle boxes, etc etc. One excellent source of very tough and slick plastic is unbreakable light switch covers. The kind that flex rather than the old ones that crack. Anyway, they come in dark brown which is nice and won't stick out like a bright toothbrush or whatever. I can get two flat strips out of one cover but it's worth it, then glue, pin or whatever to get the thickness you need, shape by sanding, and you're golden. So sources of plactic are all around you, jut keep your eyes peeled.
I suppose you could also melt plastic and pour it into the slot, but that's nasty business, often makes toxic smoke (ask me how I know) and comes out awful. I'm sure some plastics melt well, but so far my luck with it is zip.

Attachments:
HWplasticdealie.jpg
HWplasticdealie.jpg [ 46.64 KiB | Viewed 582 times ]