Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:37 pm 

Thanks to a tip in the forum, I just bought one of these.

So the video on Pyramid shows this mount, but the overhang looks grotesque to me.

I was thinking more this one:

Yes, the overhang length is similar, but much thinner and you don't have 3 Allen screws floating in mid-air.

The drawback is only 2 mounting screws to the dovetail on the rifle, but IMHO should be fine. If not, there are many ways to make it permanent.

Which one would you go with?

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention I got the Bug Buster for it, hence the above post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:21 pm 

first and foremost there is not much rail there on the 61 to mount much on...
and its plastic to boot, pretty sure your scope will move unless you secure it with a scope mount stop.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:08 pm 

Ace wrote:
and its plastic to boot, pretty sure your scope will move unless you secure it with a scope mount stop.

Thank you for the reply.

About 2.5" of dovetail and on the second picture, center to center on the screws is 1 5/8".

Plastic huh? Missed that. OK, I'll pin it, depending on the plastic thickness. Once it's setup the way I like it, I'll take it apart again and use some 3M industrial epoxy from the paint guy at work. It will be permanent.

I rarely sell my stuff, so don't mind modifying it.

Unfortunately, although my eyes are still good enough for pistol shooting, long guns with iron sights are hard for me now. Focusing becomes an either-or proposition between sight picture and target.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 pm 

ITGUY wrote:
Ace wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

About 2.5" of dovetail and on the second picture, center to center on the screws is 1 5/8".

Plastic huh? Missed that. OK, I'll pin it, depending on the plastic thickness. Once it's setup the way I like it, I'll take it apart again and use some 3M industrial epoxy from the paint guy at work. It will be permanent.

Unfortunately, although my eyes are still good enough for pistol shooting, long guns with iron sights are hard for me now. Focusing becomes an either-or proposition between sight picture and target.

yes plastic :(
the older ones were metal, there hard to come by people tend to keep that version..
this is how I mounted my scope....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:20 am 

Ace wrote:
ITGUY wrote:
Ace wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

yes plastic :(
the older ones were metal, there hard to come by people tend to keep that version..
this is how I mounted my scope....

Hi. Thanks for the close up pic's.

Let me ask you a question...does your front sight shroud interfere with your sight picture?

Also, in the video's I saw, the rifle performed pretty well with certain pellets and HORRIBLE with others. Each individual rifle will be different of course, but what does yours like?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:58 am 

I have a 60, took the front and original rear sight off and use a mount like you have shown, i did not pin it, hasn't moved. You can un screw the front sight assy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:17 am 

Kinta wrote:
I have a 60, took the front and original rear sight off and use a mount like you have shown, i did not pin it, hasn't moved. You can un screw the front sight assy.

I read that the barrel is threaded underneath the exising front sight assy. Did you find this to be the case? If so I wouldnt mind getting a faux brake for it.

Also found out the stock has two main adjustment positions, you can move the threaded insert to the rear one and gain about an inch. Apparently it is in the shorter position from the factory.

EDIT: DUH...you said "unscrew" so it obviously has threads, sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:31 pm 

In modifying my son's MP-61 I chopped off a few inches at the front of the barrel, as the crown was awful and the balance was much too front-heavy for the little guy. Re-crowned it and used a slip-fit muzzle brake, but yes, it was threaded originally, some sort of fine thread, not 1/2"-28 nor 1/2"-20 anyway. Something closer to 7/16"-28 maybe, but I tossed the piece so don't know for certain.

I used a cheap Leapers offset scope base to push it further forward for him. Don't have any close-ups showing that clearly and now the mount is on my old 2240 which I converted into a short carbine for him, but here's a shot showing the mount and scope position:

I had a hard time getting it to group at all for quite a while, even with H&N Finale Match wadcutters. Field target pellets were garbage through the rifle. Nothing shot well really. 1" groups at 10 metres from a light rested position wasn't acceptable. So I played around with carbon fibre epoxied to the barrel, then a delrin rod machined into a stiffer tower supporting the barrel better than the stock plastic thing:

That helped, but it was still shooting too inconsistently, so I made a heavy bronze barrel weight to damp vibration and tuned it gradually, shooting a bunch at various slightly different positions until groups shrank to minimum. Finally I was able to shoot groups like this at 6.5 metres, and not too much bigger at 10 metres:

There's a set screw with a nylon plug ahead of it to protect the carbon tube. Works pretty solidly. But he was frustrated with the weak hitting power of the thing at about 3fpe, failing to knock anything down at FT matches, hence the move to the 2240 carbine. I suspect the plastic upper aren't helping the groups much. Going to a harder spring and upping the velocity to close to 500fps just made it shoot erratically and feel very harsh and hard to cock, so I went back to a the weak spring on a custom delrin guide which smoothed it out a little. Oh yeah, and in this case the stock steel guide was on the wrong end of the spring... which made the factory setup shoot VERY harshly with all that extra mass flying forward. Baikal Canada had nothing to say about that.

Anyway, yeah, I'd vote for the more slim offset mount. Looks better.

And hey, if anyone wants my son's rifle it's still up in the for sale section...