Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:24 am
Posts: 1545
Location: Calgary
Been looking to get my hands on a springer pistol but a Tempest or Pardini is way out of my league. The Hatsan model 25 has this anti recoil system where the action kicks back a cm or so. Sounds neat but does it do the trick in minimizing the recoil effects or is it just a marketing vanity? Curious if this system allows for tight groups. Where I don't expect groups as tight as those from a 2240, I would rethink plans if the best one can get is a loonie size group at 10m, rested. Anyone tried one? How much would a used one in good condition go for (have a lead on one)

_________________
No, no, it was bigger than that! It looked like a weird monkey-dog thing!
COG First Class Recruit
Gears of War


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:24 am
Posts: 1545
Location: Calgary
Forgot to say, this would be the .177 model.

_________________
No, no, it was bigger than that! It looked like a weird monkey-dog thing!
COG First Class Recruit
Gears of War


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:49 am
Posts: 125
Location: Brampton, Ontario
I have a Hatsan 25 in .177 and TBH I am no fan of the anti-recoil mechanism. I don't know for sure but I feel like it makes the gun less accurate, since you have to contend with the whole thing moving around on you when you fire it.

That's about my only complaint though, it's otherwise a fairly solid chunky springer, not hard to cock, and it's right up there for power; according to my chrony it's right under the 500fps level.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:24 am
Posts: 1545
Location: Calgary
Thanks for your input. I can imagine how odd the recoil compensation thing would be. But if getting used to it, would this be considered a pretty accurate pistol? I realize match pistol it isn't but can you get decent groups?
In your opinion would $50 be a fair price for a used one in good condition? Or am I better spending my money elsewhere? I know it's a personal question but hoping to gain better idea of its value.

_________________
No, no, it was bigger than that! It looked like a weird monkey-dog thing!
COG First Class Recruit
Gears of War


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:49 am
Posts: 125
Location: Brampton, Ontario
I don't honestly use mine enough to say if it's capable of good groups or not. It's something I'll ultimately either sell, or make a project out of it. I think I would like it a lot better without the recoil reduction.

Looking at my notes on it, I found it felt creaky when cocking, and the discharge was a bit jarring. I attributed both of those to the anti-recoil mechanism.

As for what they're worth used, I'm not very good at that. I payed $105 + shipping for mine last year, from Forest City Surplus, and it's in pretty much brand-new condition as I haven't used it much, so if I were to sell mine I'd probably be asking around $80.

If you can get one for $50 I think that would be a decent value for sure.

Cheers!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 3320
Location: Central West River Nova Scotia
I have the 25 also, and many reviews attribute the anti recoil as contributing to poor accuracy. So I disabled mine, and although better, I still had difficulty grouping with it. But I know it was Me and not the gun, because I'm not a pistol shooter at all. So I made a stock for it, and now consider it a better than average shooter. No problem picking off bottle caps at 12 yd,s. The trigger on mine I consider to be a hair trigger. Also, the cocking handle, for some reason, throws off the POI if left on the gun as apposed to, shooting without it.
Would I buy one again after having used one for a while ? Absolutely !

_________________
If I had only one wish, it would be to be able to "unsay" things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 3075
Location: Northern Ontario
Used Diana 6 pistols come up from time to time in the 200.00 range. They are nice target pistols.
Image

_________________
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:24 am
Posts: 1545
Location: Calgary
Again, thanks for the feedback. Waiting to hear back from the seller.

Joe now you owe us a pic of your Hatsan with the custom stock you made. It is a treat to the eyes to see your wood work, so please post some pics if you get the chance. So these come in .25 huh? Would make for a decent gopher gun if one could up the speed a bit (seller claims his shoots lead pellets at around 360fps, a far cry from what Stephanie gets).

I'm not much of a pistol shooter either, which is why I'd like to get something like this to practice with. Mainly because it more or less resembles a target pistol but also to be able to enjoy a springer pistol, for the added variety. Although if I do get it, I may have to disable the recoil reduction thing, since it seems no one likes it.

Paddy: u must think I'm rich. Fraid I'm sticking to cheapo Chinese guns. Fancy German precision machinery not in the cards atm.

_________________
No, no, it was bigger than that! It looked like a weird monkey-dog thing!
COG First Class Recruit
Gears of War


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 3320
Location: Central West River Nova Scotia
Joolz wrote:
Again, thanks for the feedback. Waiting to hear back from the seller.

Joe now you owe us a pic of your Hatsan with the custom stock you made. It is a treat to the eyes to see your wood work, so please post some pics if you get the chance. So these come in .25 huh? Would make for a decent gopher gun if one could up the speed a bit (seller claims his shoots lead pellets at around 360fps, a far cry from what Stephanie gets).

I'm not much of a pistol shooter either, which is why I'd like to get something like this to practice with. Mainly because it more or less resembles a target pistol but also to be able to enjoy a springer pistol, for the added variety. Although if I do get it, I may have to disable the recoil reduction thing, since it seems no one likes it.

Paddy: u must think I'm rich. Fraid I'm sticking to cheapo Chinese guns. Fancy German precision machinery not in the cards atm.

Unfortunately the stock for the 25 was built to see if it "could " be stocked, so I only used a piece of spruce 2x8, and never got around to making a nice one out of Walnut. But heres a pic anyway.Image
Image

_________________
If I had only one wish, it would be to be able to "unsay" things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:21 am
Posts: 51
Location: San Diego, CA
Joolz wrote:
Thanks for your input. I can imagine how odd the recoil compensation thing would be. But if getting used to it, would this be considered a pretty accurate pistol? I realize match pistol it isn't but can you get decent groups?
In your opinion would $50 be a fair price for a used one in good condition? Or am I better spending my money elsewhere? I know it's a personal question but hoping to gain better idea of its value.


Hi Joolz, you're on a budget and we can all relate to that. You are going to be using this exclusively for target shooting, correct?
Well the bargain of the decade is the Beeman P17 which is exactly the same as the $250 Beeman P3 and The $250 Weihrauch HW40. Do a search for 'Beeman P17 and Weihrauch HW40' where I give you all the dope on these three. The two I just mentioned are made in Germany. The P17 is made in China and is $35 US. Shipping from somewhere like Pyramyd Air is $17.50. So you are better off buying it in Canada where it is around $50. There is nothing else in this price range that comes close for accuracy and handling. The Hatsan is much heavier - almost 4lbs versus 1.5lbs of the P17. And the P17 is more accurate, quieter and has no recoil.

You are going to have to double your budget to beat the P17. I hesitate to go any further. Buy the Beeman. No buy two.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 3320
Location: Central West River Nova Scotia
I second that emotion. The p17 is outstanding.

_________________
If I had only one wish, it would be to be able to "unsay" things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:24 am
Posts: 1545
Location: Calgary
Joe, even as a makeshift experiment your creations still impress. That looks great and a great way to make this heavy pistol rest comfortably.

palmnell, I don't think there's a single member here that doesn't have a P17. 2 days after joining this forum and learning about it, I promptly ordered one from Pyramyd. Love the thing.
However - and I have to be careful here not to sound arrogant - I find it too easy to shoot accurately. I have managed to impress myself over and over again. It almost doesn't offer a challenge anymore as I almost always hit the tiniest of targets. And I'm not even a pistol shooter!

The intent of getting a springer pistol is to add another dimension to the sport and further challenge myself. I have a tough time getting decent groups with a springer rifle and love the challenge. Figured it'd fun to open up another door with a springer pistol. And whenever frustration sets in I'd just resort to the P17 and have a smile on my face again.

_________________
No, no, it was bigger than that! It looked like a weird monkey-dog thing!
COG First Class Recruit
Gears of War


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:21 am
Posts: 51
Location: San Diego, CA
Joolz, you are pretty funny. So you want to make things harder for yourself, rather that easier? Then go for the Hatsan. It will give you a workout. Although at a better price I really like the Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston. It's as heavy as the Hatsan, and definitely more work than the P17, but it's a lot of fun. Look around, Frequently on sale new for about $80.

A multi-pumper that is a classic is the Crosman 1377 which is inexpensive and great. But you will need to use some serious arm action to get the air in there. Five times minimum and I usually go for eight. It's hard work. About $100 C.

If you can stretch your budget a bit further the Cometa Indian is a powerful springer that needs your attention. It's great fun and very accurate once you get used to it. Looks amazing too. I believe that Canadian versions shoot at 450 - 480 fps, but my US version is consistently hitting 550 with 7g pellets. You may also be able to find it used as the RWS 9B. Same gun.

And that's about it in your price range. There really aren't that many springer pistols out there anymore unless you go used.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 am
Posts: 3595
Location: Edmonton
palmnell wrote:
Joolz, you are pretty funny. So you want to make things harder for yourself, rather that easier? Then go for the Hatsan. It will give you a workout. Although at a better price I really like the Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston. It's as heavy as the Hatsan, and definitely more work than the P17, but it's a lot of fun. Look around, Frequently on sale new for about $80.

A multi-pumper that is a classic is the Crosman 1377 which is inexpensive and great. But you will need to use some serious arm action to get the air in there. Five times minimum and I usually go for eight. It's hard work. About $100 C.

If you can stretch your budget a bit further the Cometa Indian is a powerful springer that needs your attention. It's great fun and very accurate once you get used to it. Looks amazing too. I believe that Canadian versions shoot at 450 - 480 fps, but my US version is consistently hitting 550 with 7g pellets. You may also be able to find it used as the RWS 9B. Same gun.

And that's about it in your price range. There really aren't that many springer pistols out there anymore unless you go used.


Sorry to go OT for a second, but it would sure be helpful if you would identify your location in the profile preferences -- for clarity in responding to you, and for no other reason. You mention you are from the USA in this post, but in other posts it is not obvious. Just sayin'.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:21 am
Posts: 51
Location: San Diego, CA
Hi Edmonton<500.

I've only just joined the forum, but I think in the few posts I have made I did mention that I live in the US - San Diego, right down by the border with Tijuana. But I'm a Brit and grew up in London. That of course is where my love of airguns comes from. Just revived that 'love' last year with an insane shopping spree of six air rifles and nine pistols. And there are more on the horizon. I thought it would be fun to join this forum to explore the differences between airguns that are popular in Canada and those that are best-sellers in the US. I look forward to learning a lot and perhaps throwing in my 10p's worth every so often.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO