Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:36 pm 

Good day everyone My name is Mike I live on the east coast of Canada, I just recently go into air guns I started out with the cheep Princess auto 80 dollar .22 it was great but I just recently moved up to the Steel eagle I am loving it.

Anyone have a steel eagle what do you think of it?

Also does anyone have any idea how this is detuned. The crosman site does not have a Canadain version listed vs the American version.

I did notice that it shares most of the parts of the Benjamin NP2 anyone know how this was detuned.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:01 pm 

I've heard that cheaper nitro pistons tend to leak fairly soon, not all of them, but that they're inconsistent in quality of seals. If I were to buy a piston type airgun it would be a spring type for that reason, as springs tend to last many years if not abused by dry firing. I have no direct experience of this rifle however...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:45 am 

Hi Mike, and welcome on the forum!

Your air gun may be de-tuned using one of the following: a ''short'' or ''long'' piston and a weak gas ram , a ''long'' piston and a full power gas ram or a ''short'' piston with a bleed hole using a full power gas ram. I know that Crosman use at least 3 different gas ram (maybe more), and probably more models of pistons. The regular, ''short'' piston is around 5.900'' or 125 mm in length, any longer and it's probably used as a de-tuning method.

I don't have a Steel Eagle, but I do have a TR77 NPS (.177 cal.), and I had the opportunity to try a Trail NP and a Benjamin Jim Shockey Legacy, both in .22 cal., and I liked them a lot :D . My TR77 is a real joy to shoot, being very smooth and accurate (it's factory de-tuned using a long piston and a weak gas ram). Also, there is some tuning you can do to improve the behaviour of your rifle, de-burring/smoothing of internal parts, good lube job, etc. There are some very knowledgeable peoples here on the forum that can provide some very good infos on how to do it.

Enjoy and have fun :drinkers:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:26 pm 

Great choice, I just bought one recently as well and so far love it. I had a synthetic Nitro Venom Dusk .22 and the Steel Eagle is noticeably lighter (better polymer), quieter (90dB vs 92dB), and significantly easier and smoother to cock - my Venom eased after 200 shots (not that it was hard to begin with), but out of the box the SE is way easier especially at the last bit of the arc. I like the 2stage trigger but a little stiff at the wall and will need adjusting. Both have same amount of recoil and both are a total joy to shoot, but the SE just does it all better. I have yet to try the included Center Point 3-9x32 scope (the CP 4x32 on the Venom was garbage, hoping this model is better) and have a UTG 4-16x44 mounted.

I chose the SE over the other NP2 models as I'm not a fan of their thumb hole grip but wanted their latest break barrel technology and I'm impressed with it even though it is detuned and not reaping the full benefit of NP2 power. I couldn't find the PAL version of the SE available in Canada.

Don't think I'll tune mine though, it will allow my friends/family without a PAL to hold on and play with it if need be.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:55 pm 

I did get a hold of Crosman and they sent me the parts diagram with the candain parts written in over the US parts it appears that only two parts are different the piston and the ram.

I really like this gun I still in the breaking in stage right now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:02 pm 

Hi,
Can you post that diagram showing the part numbers?

Thx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:21 pm 

Of the many people that have contacted me about converting various NP2 models, the only detune changes were the spring and piston. The piston simply has a hole it in, which most people plug. The spring appears identical except for less pressure. The low pressure spring is part # 6-NP214-012, the normal spring is NP214-012. The cost should be ~$15CA from Gravel. The # will be printed on the spring but if you can't see it the low can be compressed by hand, the full power cannot. The full also needs a spring compressor to install since it takes ~230+lbs (an est) to compress. Another way is measuring cocking effort, the full power takes ~30lbs to cock at peak, the low much less. I don't know the # but I'd assume closer to half that?
The normal US piston is NP214-131, and while I don't know what it costs I imagine it's rather expensive.
The main seal, which I always recommend replacing, is CRS5177-012. It is not listed in the NP2 parts list.
You need to smooth the sharp edges in the tube that caused damage to the oem seal or you'll simply ruin the new one too.
If you need trigger parts and diagram you can pull a parts list from one of the much older guns, so plug RNP77 into the Crosman search b/c it has the best pix of the trigger assy.

I have the NP2 parts list modified with all the #'s, but basically it's the normal NP2 list from Crosman plus the above CRS #'s from the older guns they apparently don't want to share. My only guess as to why the did that is they don't want people to spot the #'s and realize the gun is not "all new", but in fact a magnum version of an old gun. So the main seal and trigger parts from the RNP, and the NP2 list and you have a complete list and diagram.
Also, get a fresh NP2 list b/c there was a mistake on at least one part # on the original.
To plug the hole I'd suggest drill/tap, insert screw w/ JB Weld, grind flush. Most just fill with JB Weld but if not done properly it'll come out. Imo it's worth the piece of mind to use a screw that will never budge. If you weld the hole then remove the dovetail from piston so you don't melt the rubber ring, which I note b/c it happened to someone :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:51 pm 
Supporting Members

What part of the east coast are you from?

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....