Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 758
Location: Burlington ON
Okay, so here's the lowdown:

The MCX in either 22 or 177 is classified as a Restricted firearm.
So is the MPX in 177.
The MPX in 22 is a non-firearm, no license needed.

(Don't get me started on the rules...).
So the 22 MPX is the only one we could get without a lot of messing about.
Availability? Hmmm... My favourite non-Ca website, BAR shows they are taking deposits on all combos. Not that they will ship but maybe it's an encouraging sign on availability.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 3071
Location: Northern Ontario
DDtank wrote:
Okay, so here's the lowdown:

The MCX in either 22 or 177 is classified as a Restricted firearm.
So is the MPX in 177.
The MPX in 22 is a non-firearm, no license needed.

(Don't get me started on the rules...).
So the 22 MPX is the only one we could get without a lot of messing about.
Availability? Hmmm... My favourite non-Ca website, BAR shows they are taking deposits on all combos. Not that they will ship but maybe it's an encouraging sign on availability.


According to the Criminal Code, a restricted firearm is:

a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm,
a firearm that
is not a prohibited firearm,
has a barrel less than 470 mm in length, and
is capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner,
a firearm that is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise, or
a firearm of any other kind that is prescribed to be a restricted firearm

_________________
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 758
Location: Burlington ON
Just passing on what I have been told and in my request I pointed that out and suggested because of that it might be PAL (but not RPAL). No idea if you can ask for a second opinion or if that would be counter-productive.
Wouldn't your point be applicable to all air pistols that are +500 fps, they are all Restricted too? I assume it's the barrel length even though they are obviously not centre fire.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 3071
Location: Northern Ontario
DDtank wrote:
Just passing on what I have been told and in my request I pointed that out and suggested because of that it might be PAL (but not RPAL). No idea if you can ask for a second opinion or if that would be counter-productive.
Wouldn't your point be applicable to all air pistols that are +500 fps, they are all Restricted too? I assume it's the barrel length even though they are obviously not centre fire.






According to the Criminal Code, a restricted firearm is:

a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm. This would make air pistols that are over 500 fps restricted.

Unless the MCX airgun has been specifically named as a restricted weapon (unlikely) it would not qualify as one.

Whoever is telling you it is restricted is either wrong, or the RCMP have gone ahead and decided this is an AR variant like they did with the Crosman without actually looking at them. Once its submitted, they would have to change its designation as it shares no parts with a actual AR.

I would suspect whoever is looking it up is looking at the centerfire rifle with the same name.
I would also doubt that Replica Airguns would be shooting a restricted weapon in their back yard and posting the proof of such a crime on youtube.

_________________
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 758
Location: Burlington ON
Yes, the MCX was classified based on its AR resemblance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 3071
Location: Northern Ontario
DDtank wrote:
Yes, the MCX was classified based on its AR resemblance.


If they decided it was an AR variant, it would be so regardless of velocity, so all versions would be restricted.

_________________
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO