Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:21 pm 

Does anyone know roughly the best fps for accuracy using h&n Diablo Sport Wadcutters in .22 cal...13.73 gr.
I only had a few to run over the chrony so I haven't tested for accuracy yet.I'm shooting them at 702 fps average but that might be a tad too fast for best accuracy.Looking to stock up but not if they're going to fly all over the place.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:46 pm 

If you can adjust the power of your air gun, check groupings at different speeds. Also here's an interesting older topic on the GTA:
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... ic=41583.0

Hope it helps!

:drinkers:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:57 pm 

In general, wadcutters don't like velocities over about 650 fps.... but any given pellet / gun combination could be higher or lower....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:22 am 

rsterne wrote:
In general, wadcutters don't like velocities over about 650 fps.... but any given pellet / gun combination could be higher or lower....

Bob

OK thanks........I thought it was down around 500 fps for best accuracy but 650 is close to where I'm shooting now ....maybe I will get lucky and they will group well at 30 yards.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:27 am 

airmec wrote:
If you can adjust the power of your air gun, check groupings at different speeds. Also here's an interesting older topic on the GTA:
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... ic=41583.0

Hope it helps!

:drinkers:

Thanks ...unfortunately I am stuck with 700fps(springer), however...looks like some people are getting decent accuracy at around 700 fps with wadcutters so I may get lucky with my current setup.I think I'll wait before stocking up on Wads.....just in case. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:10 am 

I use those same pellets in my .22 Discovery and I notice the groups are terrible at over 700 fps and when the power drops to around 640 fps thereabouts it groups a lot better.Even less than that. Like others have stated, 650 fps seems to be the cutoff, more or less, however you may get lucky with your particular gun.Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:33 am 

Experimenting with it is the only way to know for sure. Most of the air gun accuracy nuts here say FP's are not accurate past 15 to 20 yards, normally. My FWB certainly liked the RWS R10's- ran them at 600fps even and would shoot 1/10" groups with them at 20 yards, and 1/4" to 3/8" at 25yards, so they were on the downward slide in accuracy, at 25 yards. Larger calibres, ie: .22 or .25 should shoot as well a bit further out, all things being equal - usually they are not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:09 am 

Daryl wrote:
Experimenting with it is the only way to know for sure. Most of the air gun accuracy nuts here say FP's are not accurate past 15 to 20 yards, normally. My FWB certainly liked the RWS R10's- ran them at 600fps even and would shoot 1/10" groups with them at 20 yards, and 1/4" to 3/8" at 25yards, so they were on the downward slide in accuracy, at 25 yards. Larger calibres, ie: .22 or .25 should shoot as well a bit further out, all things being equal - usually they are not.

I would call that fairly accurate at 25 yards with the lighter .177s....which is the max distance I would be hunting at with my newly constructed Phantom 500\Nitro Venom hybrid.Ran out of Wadcutters before accuracy testing .I can always use them in a future purchase if they turn out not to be good at 700fps.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:00 pm 

If you are testing in anticipation of a hunting experience, why on Earth would you be testing with wadcutters? They are essentially target pellets designed to punch clean holes through paper. I suggest you start testing JSB domes, and maybe even some polymags. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:03 pm 

Wadcutters have a good smack to them on critters close up.... but the problem is they lose energy so fast that at 25 yards they have a lot less to deliver than the same weight of round nose pellet, like a JSB Exact....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:01 am 

rsterne wrote:
Wadcutters have a good smack to them on critters close up.... but the problem is they lose energy so fast that at 25 yards they have a lot less to deliver than the same weight of round nose pellet, like a JSB Exact....

Bob

That was my next question...but you answered it already....I was wondering if wads would slow down WAY too much too soon.However...I DO require maximum fpe at 25 or 30 yards so it looks like round nose is the best choice.

Last edited by MyCrosman on Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:06 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
If you are testing in anticipation of a hunting experience, why on Earth would you be testing with wadcutters? They are essentially target pellets designed to punch clean holes through paper. I suggest you start testing JSB domes, and maybe even some polymags. :)

This is why I ask questions....to get the RIGHT answers.I've never hunted with Wadcutters but I assumed they would have maximum shock after seeing what they do to soup cans.Polymags looks interesting too but looks like round nose are a definite.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:48 am 

For maximum 'shock' buy some Polymags - Predator Polymags. They shoot well in most all air guns - at least all of mine like them springer or PCP.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:55 pm 

The polymags work best in PAL velocity rated guns.Expansion uncertain under 500 fps........Harold

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:29 am 

Shot a Polymag into a old phone book from a 2240 at 495 fps and it never expanded, although it made it 200 pages deep.Could react different on flesh or a 4 litre jug of H2O Harold