Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:30 pm 

Hi All!

This is my first post, so please be kind. I have a feeling it will be long, but your help would be very much appreciated.

I have a serious squirrel (tree rat) infestation problem. They have gotten into my house and are making a mess. I need to control or eliminate as many of these little rascals as possible :axe: . I have been using a Beeman P1 pistol so far to take out a few of them, but the gun is getting old (30 + years) and it seems to be losing power even on the high power setting. I want to get an air rifle with a scope to more humanely dispatch these squirrels.

I have done quite a bit of research and given the problem a lot of thought, but just can not find a rifle that suites my needs. Here is what I am looking for...

1. QUIET - my main concern is my neighbors who are very close but often not home. I want to dispatch the squirrels discretely.

2. NOT PCP - I have given this a lot of thought and decided I don't want to go with a PCP air gun. Filling the tanks and bottles to recharge the gun will be an issue as my home is somewhat remote. I am also not exited about using a hand pump to recharge. I am thinking of the extra cost and added complication of all the equipment needed (tank, valves, hoses, pumps etc). Being in a remote location I want to be able to just re-cock the gun using a break barrel or under barrel system.

3. ACCURACY - Squirrels are small and my eyesight is not what it used to be. I need a rifle that is accurate and can accept a scope.

4. Higher Power - Must have a high enough power to take out squirrels. I have a PAL license so that is not a worry. I am looking for .22 cal (about 800 fps) but not adverse to going .25 cal (about 600 fps).

5. Close Range - My shots are usually around 10 yards or so. The squirrels are in the trees right by my house and getting close is usually not a problem. Occasionally I would like the gun to be able to make a 20-25 yard shot.

6. Weight - not a big concern, the gun will be in the house close at hand and I will not have to lug it around.

7. Quality - I want a quality rifle that will last the rest of my life (30+ years). I didn't want a Canadian Tire special, but have often thought of just buying a Crosman Optimus and be done with it. :D

8. No Tinkering - I would like out of the box accuracy. I don't mind experimenting to find the best pellet and taking time to zero in the scope. But I am not a gunsmith and don't want to fiddle endlessly with the gun to make it shoot accurately. I am a serious do-it-yourself-er, so I can handle some minimal tinkering if required.

9. Cost - obviously want to keep it as low as possible but I do not mind paying for a quality rifle. I would not mind spending over $500 for the rifle if it was a high quality and accurate.

MY LAMENT :cry: - there is a perfect rifle for me and I would have purchased it long ago IF IT WERE AVAILABLE IN CANADA :x !! I have read so many positive reviews of the HATSAN Model 95! I just love that gun! But due to the suppressor (sound modulator) I can not get one of those. That is what I would call the perfect fit, inexpensive, accurate, quiet, powerful, scope included, and beautiful. Hope you can see my dilemma.

Just so you know I have considered:
Benjamin Maurader - may end up buying this but it is PCP (see above)
Crosman Optimus - concerned about quality control and longevity of the gun.
Benjamin Trail - read some reviews where owners not impressed. Also, trigger not great and quality control issues.
Any 495 fps "Canadian" rifle - buying a de-tuned gun does not appeal to me. I have dismissed these guns, perhaps I should not???
Hatsan 100x torpedo - seems ok, but may be as loud as my powder .22 with quiet ammo, so no deed to have two loud guns.

Any advice you could provide would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:03 pm 

Hi Squirrel Killer,

I know you think you know what you need for the task at hand, but the solution may be simpler, cheaper and easier than you imagine. All the guns I am going to suggest are available from D&L Airgun in Langley, BC.

1. Crosman 1077. Synthetic Stock $135, Woodstock $170. A 12 shot repeater using rotary magazines and 12 gram CO2 cartridges. Yes it's a .177, but it's up to the job and a blast to use. It produces a genuine 600+ fps and with 7.9 grain Crosman Destroyer Hollow Points it will easily dispatch the critters at up to 20 yards with no more noise than a stapler. I hope you're going to be eating these little buggers. Wrap their thighs in streaky bacon and you have a delicious treat for the whole family.

2. Benjamin Sheridan Titan NP. $289 with decent 4x32 scope. A quiet .22 cal rifle that uses a nitro piston instead of a spring. Easy to cock, accurate and hard-hitting.

3. Diana RWS 34 Classic. $400. It's called the classic for a very good reason - it is. Super reliable, very powerful and a joy to use.
750+ fps in .22. It's worth buying just for the smoothness of the trigger.

4. Cometa Fusion .22. $319. Cometa is one of the few airgun manufacturers that always understates the velocity of their guns. I own two Cometa Indian pistols which are rated at 492 fps. The Fusion is rated at 495 fps. Why that's just under 500 fps, how convenient. The Indians actually deliver a 7 grain wadcutter at between 535 and 550 fps. So you can probably expect similar results with the Fusion. This rifle has an air stripper to remove some of the turbulent air from around the pellet as it leaves the barrel, this reduces the recoil of the air rifle and makes it more accurate.

One of these will do you proud Mr Killer. Have fun and remember to tie those squirrel tails to the back of your Lambretta scooter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:05 pm 

I'd look at this one:

topic73312.html

Those a great rifles that should easily last you a lifetime with good care. It's definitely one of the best springers available.

I would generally avoid most Crosman and Benjamin springers if you're looking for something to last. I'd be surprised if you got more than 5 years of use out of one given the amount of work you'd be putting it through.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:23 am 

Barfman wrote:
I'd look at this one:

topic73312.html

Those a great rifles that should easily last you a lifetime with good care. It's definitely one of the best springers available.

I would generally avoid most Crosman and Benjamin springers if you're looking for something to last. I'd be surprised if you got more than 5 years of use out of one given the amount of work you'd be putting it through.

You're right Mr Barfman. With a high squirrel kill it would cost this gentleman almost a dollar a week over 5 years to eradicate his foe based on the purchase price of a Crosman or Benjamin springer. I wonder how much squirrel meat goes for. Oh, and the Crosman 1077 isn't a springer.

The 97 is very nice, very accurate, not very quiet and very heavy . Even if you are only walking 30' from the kitchen for a furry assassination, a 10lb rifle gets a little tedious. Just a thought. And didn't Squirrel Killer mention $500 tops?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:20 am 

palmnell wrote:
Barfman wrote:
I'd look at this one:

topic73312.html

You're right Mr Barfman. With a high squirrel kill it would cost this gentleman almost a dollar a week over 5 years to eradicate his foe based on the purchase price of a Crosman or Benjamin springer. I wonder how much squirrel meat goes for. Oh, and the Crosman 1077 isn't a springer.

The 97 is very nice, very accurate, not very quiet and very heavy . Even if you are only walking 30' from the kitchen for a furry assassination, a 10lb rifle gets a little tedious. Just a thought. And didn't Squirrel Killer mention $500 tops?

HW97 is a fine rifle.. I own this one so I should know. Not really very heavy but it's heavy compared say to a pcp. Another I recommend would be the TX200. Shoots like a pcp in the right hands. Goodluck on your search.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:25 am 

Diana 34 or ant Weihrauch, you won't be sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:11 am 

:D Hey guys, thanks for the help. Just so you know for every recommendation I do a couple of hours of research to see what I am looking for. I will post back in a bit to let you know my progress. 8)

PS. Just so you know this process has caused me further thought on my purchase. I am evaluating and re-evaluating... My head is hurting, but that is OK> :?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:31 pm 

palmnell wrote:

I'm well aware of the 1077, but wasn't referring to your post. One of his expectations was that it would last him 30 years. I was just pointing out that most Crosmans and Benjis won't last anywhere near that long. I know, I've owned a bunch.

The 97 really isn't loud at all. It's on the heavier side for springers, but that's a good thing for accuracy. Also, he didn't put a $500 cap, he said that he wouldn't mind spending more than $500 if the gun was high quality and accurate.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:49 pm 

I took care of a tree rat problem with rat traps and an FWB Model 2 .177 Match CO2 pistol. The traps (on a short trap line of traps) were more effective as I did not have to be around for them to work. The squirrels had infested my attic. I doubt a rat trap would work on a black squirrel or grey, or the big reddish fox squirrels.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:59 pm 

If you get a springer made in Germany it will be past down from generation to generation, for dealing with the tree rat's use 22 cal. 700+ fps. dead on impact. Happy hunting.

Airforce Texan
Desert Eagle
60's Shanghai 177 springer
Beretta 92FS Nickel
2250B HPA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:22 am 

Daryl wrote:
I took care of a tree rat problem with rat traps and an FWB Model 2 .177 Match CO2 pistol. The traps (on a short trap line of traps) were more effective as I did not have to be around for them to work. The squirrels had infested my attic. I doubt a rat trap would work on a black squirrel or grey, or the big reddish fox squirrels.

That's inventive. So you were able to work on competitive target shooting and eliminating squirrels at the same time. It's a pity that there isn't an Olympic Squirrel Shooting category.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:19 am 

Head shots worked perfectly, but only one or two every day or two when I had the opportunity - no pellet left my property. The traps worked 24/7 - again, within my properties boundaries.