Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:02 am 

Hey everyone, it's been a while that I last posted but I have a question. I recently just got my PAL (minors) and I know that I can get an air rifle over 500fps now, but can I also get an air pistol over 500 fps?

I don't want to sound stupid but I am not sure. I know that to get a pistol you need your restricted license but do you need a restricted for air pistols over the 500fps limit?

P.S. It is not an option for me to get my restricted license because I'm not of the legal age.

Thanks for the help,
- Christian

Stoeger X20

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:08 am 

Yes - any air pistol over 500 fps (and 4.2 FPE) is a restricted weapon and you need an R-PAL to own it and shoot it (at an approved gun range - only!)

Quote:
These are air guns with both a high muzzle velocity (greater than 152.4 metres or 500 feet per second) and a high muzzle energy (greater than 5.7 joules or 4.2 foot-pounds). The "muzzle velocity" is the speed of a projectile at the instant it leaves the muzzle of a gun, normally expressed in metres per second or feet per second. The "muzzle energy" is the energy of a projectile at the instant it leaves the muzzle of a gun, expressed in joules or foot-pounds. Air guns need to meet both standards to be classified as firearms for purposes of the Firearms Act.

HTH.

8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:42 am 

Unfortunately because of these restrictions, and the few people that would purchase them because of the restrictions, I think you will find it very difficult to even find a retailer in Canada that stocks a 500+fps pistol.
I get over 500fps with a handgun I had to make the jump to .45ACP.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:58 pm 

I understand that the Olympic shooters must treat their PCP air pistols the same as firearm pistols between matches. Locked up in secure cases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:19 am 

...Are Olympic pistols locked up and secured because of their power or because they are so valuable and finely tuned ,so no chances are taken?.....I can't believe they would be that powerful, power does not usually equate to extreme accuracy, does it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:30 am 

thumper wrote:
...Are Olympic pistols locked up and secured because of their power or because they are so valuable and finely tuned ,so no chances are taken?.....I can't believe they would be that powerful, power does not usually equate to extreme accuracy, does it?

Well if you require an RPAL to possess a firearm pistol or an airgun pistol that shoots over 500 fps then I expect that you would have to follow the same rules for both.
You must be a member of a shooting club, the pistol can only be fired at a gun range and must be locked up while in transport.

But you have a point thumper, Olympic grade airguns are expensive. I checked the Pyramidair website last night and they were in the neighbourhood of three to four thousand dollars.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:15 am 

SureShot wrote:
thumper wrote:

Well if you require an RPAL to possess a firearm pistol or an airgun pistol that shoots over 500 fps then I expect that you would have to follow the same rules for both.
You must be a member of a shooting club, the pistol can only be fired at a gun range and must be locked up while in transport.

But you have a point thumper, Olympic grade airguns are expensive. I checked the Pyramidair website last night and they were in the neighbourhood of three to four thousand dollars.

There are many match grade / Olympic grade air pistols which ARE available in Canada and without an RPAL. Check with AirgunsPlus for example, and also Targets/Cibles Canada. Many of these pistols shoot just slightly over the 500 fps limit, but in order to be a "restricted" weapon, it must shoot over 500 fps *AND* more than 4.2 fpe. With many of those pistols they're so close to being legal that a simple mod would make sure it's legal and that (I believe) is how those are available in Canada. And it's funny (at least to me) that if a pistol is over those limits you must have an RPAL to own one, but if it's under the limits, no permit at all is required.

When I got my Steyr EVO-10 pistol, it was de-tuned by the European supplier and a letter certifying that was supplied with it. And even with just a PAL I had no problem at all in importing it.

I don't have, nor do I want an RPAL (with all the regulations and restrictions that go along with it) but I do have a match grade pistol which was legally obtained.

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:40 pm 

All the olympic type air pistols such as Steyr, have chronied over 500 fps but sell as under.

I've chronied plenty at the range.