Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Love my Umarex Surges
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:55 pm 
Supporting Member

I have two. A Surge 490 and a Surge 1200.

The 490 was my very first air gun (in my entire life of over 70 years) about 2 years ago, and at one point I calculated from counting tins that I had put over 20,000 pellets through it. When I got my PAL I got a high power spring and it shot consistently at around 775 fps. Tuning it etc., made it quiet and smooth, but all the spring would put out was about 775.

Eventually I actually wore the barrel to the point that one day I loaded a 4.50 pellet and it fell through.

Someone convinced my wife that I should buy a whole new Surge since Walmart had them on for $120 locally, rather than just buying a new barrel.

I put the new barrel on the original action. I faked up some open sights and put the old barrel on the new action which also got a lube tune, trigger mod etc. I recently got some proper sights for the 490 from R&R Airgun, and now I have two guns I just love.

The 1200 was used by my son-in-law for some pest control. He's a great shot and he loved it for that. He recently returned it, and I thought I'd Chrony both guns. I only recently learned how to calculate standard deviation so I did that too.

The 490 with the newer action and older worn barrel is very very quiet, and very accurate with open sights. (I shoot 4.51 JSB pellets)
High fps of 517.3, low 503.6, average 510.0 and standard deviation of 4.57.

The 1200 with the original action and new barrel is quiet and very accurate with a 3-9x44 UTG scope and one piece Sports Match mount.
High fps of 773.2, low 759.2, average 767.56 and standard deviation of 3.76.

I'm most impressed by the standard deviation numbers. I'm not sure what is considered "good" for S.D. but those sound good to me. They're the best of any of my guns.

I was just lucky buying my first Surge while knowing absolutely nothing about air guns. But if I had it to do over, I'd buy another one.

Peter :D