Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:09 pm 

Been looking into this idea for a fun gun, still needs to be reasonably accurate though. PAL not a problem.
My initial thought was the CX4 Storm, not cheap though and seems to be hard to get hold of. By the time I finish dithering, AGS will probably sell out... I am also straying down the 9mm route too so started looking at what other airguns there might be and found:
- Winchester M14 (cheaper)
- Crosman 1077 (cheap)
- Sig Sauer MPX/MCX (still mythical in Canada and I found not likely to be favourably classified even if they do end up here)
All of them are CO2 powered, which I guess is the only option. Have I missed anything? (I do not have in mind a regular multi-shot PCP).
At around $100 more than the price of the other two put together, The CX4 is going to offer the best quality but what are the M14 and 1077 really like?
Worth bothering with? I think the M14 is made by Daisy, a load of plastic that weighs nothing. Having said that, the reviews of it actually being shot do not seem that bad. Same for the 1077, though it is often reviewed like some sort of kid's gun so I assume it is small for a rifle.
So just wondering what anyone with experience of these has to say. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:32 pm 

You're missing an important one: The Hammerli 850 AirMagnum:

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... fle-p-1015

I haven't shot one, personally, but have heard good things. Can be converted to HPA as well, with some tinkering.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:03 pm 

Looks pretty good; thanks. I have found a chargeable (modified) 88g cylinder available that would offer a (sort-of) HPA conversion. Takes up to 1000 psi so easily hand-pumpable and would be a nice option.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:40 pm 

The crosman 1077 is what it is for the money. It's a load of fun, and great for knocking cans around. It's not the most accurate, trigger is heavy, and overal mostly plastic. I love mine and can't picture selling it, it gets a lot of use. I have a CX4, great build quality, it can be very accurate, only issue is magazines can be a little trouble some, but not a hassle to deal with. Looks great sitting in my safe next to my real CX4 in 9mm.... As for the Hammerli 850, never had one but it is on my want list... Extremely accurate, and reiable. If you want something serious, take a look at it, and read up on some of the review for it, you do need a pal for it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:28 pm 

Pick up the CO2 to Paintball adapter for the 850, strap on a 20 ci tank regulated to around 1150, and you'll have one hot shooter that will shoot all day on free air (if you pump).

Last edited by Edmonton<500 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:47 pm 

It does look like a decent rifle, not considered it before but just been reading and watching some reviews.
It's not really a semi-auto repeater though (?). As far as I can see from the single shooting vid I watched, it is a bolt action - you have to move the bolt each time to index the mag and load the next shot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:10 pm 

Ah, you're right! I forgot that it is bolt action. It will allow for a much nicer trigger though, as the trigger isn't also used to rotate the magazine. Still, if semi-auto is a must, that would scratch this one off the list.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:58 pm 

It's pretty nice though and a good suggestion. Never really looked at it before and looks a decent rifle.
I have just been watching some more reviews and surprised to find myself saying I might be coming down on the side of the 1077. Main reason is it's cheap and cheerful so helps balance the books a bit if I end up shelling out around $1400 on a PB CX4.
It also looks less plasticky than the M14, at least in the Pyramyd review it looked reasonably durable. Might just be the black vs fake wood though as the 1077 is in fact nearly a pound lighter and they are both lightweight so maybe equally as flimsy.
However, the M14 may have a bit more power. D&L's figure of 510 fps on the product page seems to be incorrect as the manual says it is 700 fps (that's with 7.9 gr so heavier than Hobby) whereas the 1077 manual says 625 fps. The 1077 is said to be reasonably quiet, not sure about the M14. (Power and noise may be important because if any more of those damn squirrels take my tomatoes, I swear...).
Having said that now, maybe the M14 is a better idea. I wonder if it has a better trigger; the 1077 is said to be rather heavy at 8 lb or so.
(Update: a couple of real world reviews say the M14 is nowhere near 700 fps; maybe D&L's figure is a measured one...).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:35 pm 

The Crosman 1077 is very, very quiet.

I was surprised when I first shot my recently acquired one just how quiet it was; so quiet that I thought that it was not working properly (but it was - and must have been shooting very close to 500 fps; as well).

:wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:57 pm 

Got home tonight to find a big, juicy, almost-ready-for-picking tomato half eaten on the ground. :evil:
Very, very quiet is starting to sound very, very appealing... :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:31 pm 

TNW take-down 9mm with a Glock mags are getting popular