Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Moly Lube substitutes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:06 am 

I know this might sound crazy to some of you but I cut my thumb the other day on the side of a hole punch (hand slid down the fluted edges after a hammer strike to the punch). I grabbed some Polysporin after and a bandaid lol and as I was using it I thought to myself .. This might actually be good to use on airguns for lubing parts such as the piston and sleeves, well I haven't tried it yet but I am going to give it a try, it could also be blended with another compound.

If you have some, open it up, squeeze a bit out and put it on some metal surfaces or even two and rub it together and see for yourself. I don't know about you but I think it could be a good alternative .. perhaps? Compare Moly if you have some with this and you'll see what I mean.

If anyone wants to experiment as well give it a try and let me know, or perhaps a blend of other compounds !

Polysporin Ingredients:

Ingredients : Medicinal Ingredients (per gram) : 10,000 units Polymyxin B (as sulfate), 500 units bacitracin zinc, 0.25 mg gramicidin and 50 mg lidocaine. Non-medicinal Ingredients (alphabetically) : butylated hydroxytoluene, cocoa butter, cotton seed oil, olive oil, petrolatum, sodium pyruvate, vitamin E.

The petrolatum ingredient that stood out to me the most is:

Petroleum jelly, petrolatum, white petrolatum, soft paraffin/paraffin wax or multi-hydrocarbon, CAS number 8009-03-8, is a semi-solid mixture of hydrocarbons (with carbon numbers mainly higher than 25), originally promoted as a topical ointment for its healing properties.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:15 pm 

Quote:
I know this might sound crazy. . . .

Yep, completely whack-adoodle crazy. . .

Not even if it was an after-the-apocalypse scenario. First aid products would certainly be harder to obtain than lubricants.

But I'm all for experimentation. Lube tune it with your chosen product and let us know!
Good Luck!

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:05 pm 

vAgRaNt wrote:
Quote:

^x2 and remember just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Besides, how would you measure if this was a good idea?

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:07 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
vAgRaNt wrote:
Quote:

^x2 and remember just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Besides, how would you measure if this was a good idea?

Well I am going to try it out anyway boys. It would need to be tested in summer as well as winter and at least 500 pellets through the barrel to get an idea of how its holding up inside. either way. I'll see how it turns out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:08 am 

dood !!! .. anything you shoot will auto heal !! kinda like catch & release...amazing idea !:))

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:27 am 

GoodEnough wrote:
dood !!! .. anything you shoot will auto heal !! kinda like catch & release...amazing idea !:))

LOL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:25 pm 

Well i was just at Honda and the list for their moly based grease was 18 bucks from a 10 year old catalogue. The guy said they haven't stocked it in years.
So short of looking for the holy grail i bought a 7 dollar tube of Permatex synthetic from CT. I hope its ok. It does say NLGI Grade 2, class GC-LB whatever that is?
It clearly says for use on plastic or rubber so Im hoping no damage can happen inside a springer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:36 pm 

tango wrote:
Well i was just at Honda and the list for their moly based grease was 18 bucks from a 10 year old catalogue. The guy said they haven't stocked it in years.
So short of looking for the holy grail i bought a 7 dollar tube of Permatex synthetic from CT. I hope its ok. It does say NLGI Grade 2, class GC-LB whatever that is?
It clearly says for use on plastic or rubber so Im hoping no damage can happen inside a springer.

FWIW, I've been using that for about two years in my springers. So far, no issues or damages to internal parts.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:47 pm 

I always like to hear outside the box ideas, which is where my brain resides most of the time, but it's basically vaseline so I'd pass. Plus what about all that other stuff, maybe some of it does the opposite of lube/protect. So if you do experiment I'd use pure vaseline. Imo if vaseline were a good grease then people would be using it instead of bearing grease on a zillion different things, but they don't. I put it in the same category as baby oil, which is I don't know for a fact but I'd eat my shorts if it were better than motor oil. As far as I know vaseline (and baby oil for that matter) are really only used on (and in :o) the human body, and a few misc other things. So I'd just stick with good old bearing grease. If you want to experiment and play with something that is for sure better, then try grease and/or syn motor oil mixed with tungsten disulfide, which is what I do and prefer over all others. With those three items I've solved just about all my lube needs on everything I own. Plus it's fairly cheap, as is pure moly if you want to use that instead. And you can mix the dry powder (moly or tungsten) at whatever ratio you want. If someone wants bragging rights of 70% moly you can up that with a greater % of the superior tungsten. Side note; I wonder if 70% moly is 70% by weight or volume? My guess is volume.
The moly paste, feels like that because of the paste part, which is the main reason I don't use it. It's too thick and pasty, plus I don't know what the paste part is I don't trust it. I'm sure the paste version is great for whatever it was intended for, but it wasn't made for airguns. Imo someone decided they could make a buck selling it to airgunners, just like silicone (no doubt Beeman), then over the years both those items have somehow become must haves. If you already have moly paste you can mix it with motor oil to make it thinner and slicker, since I assume that's what you're after, and it does work so give it a try.