Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:50 am
Posts: 114
Location: Nova Scotia
leadslinger wrote:
Msit No'kmaq wrote:
ricksplace wrote:
I bought a wally world special recently. (CS5M22) Mine has the stock piston with a weak spring. A simple spring swap and a lube tune with moly gives me 740fps with CPHP. Mine was very twangy with the full power spring. There was enough clearance to use thin wall shrink tubing on the guide to dampen the twang. A piston liner works equally well.
If your gun is built like mine all you need is the spring, some moly grease, and several hours on your computer learning how to do a lube tune.
You should use a spring compressor to install the full power spring.

edit: 700-725fps with CPHP seems average after the change. The fastest I have chrono'd with mine is 765 fps with light 13gr H&N lead pellets. It seems not many b18s (the platform upon which the phantom is built) reach 800fps in .22cal with a stock full power spring and a lead pellet.
my $0.02

Thx for the info... I'm not sure where to get access to a spring compressor though...this stuff is all new to me :/

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk


I got one in Halifax, I'm giving away that surplus to my needs.

Yeah??

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 2782
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
topic73531.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:50 am
Posts: 114
Location: Nova Scotia
leadslinger wrote:
niblixdark wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
Why buy the kit when you might just need a 14$ spring?


I understand your logic but its better to do a full tune up IMO, seals are usually crap right from the factory, the piston .. well you could bypass that unless its a detuned shortened piston, then more reason to get all in the kit !



Its 57.99 for the kit. When its 13.43 and like 5$ for a spring and seal. WHY buy a piston when you don't need too? But if you want to spend more money for something you don't need to be all mine.

I never bought a piston ever for any of my B18 style airguns.

I'm not comfortable taking my guns apart, at this point...or I would check the piston and spring... I've owned airguns all my life but never tore them down...not the internals....I guess I will have to eventually...but, trial and error seems a bit intimidating when I don't have any hands on experience or the right tools...like a spring compressor...how do I put it back in when I am done?

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 2782
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
I never owned a springer till couple months ago, and now I own many. Taken a B18 apart 100s of time, They're simple.

With the 495 crosman you really don't need a spring compressor. Even my crosman shooting 680-750FPS has the same spring tension as the stock 495 spring. ( blocked relief hole )

You need just basic tools like Flat head, phillips screw driver, a thumb wrench or 12mm wrench, a hook is good, and a zip tie or string.

Once you take the stock off, 3 phillips screws holding the stock set it aside. Then remove the 12mm nut holding the cross pin in. Put the muzzle onto the ground and push down with your palm on the rear of the reciever and pop the pin out.

Remove the spring guide and cap.

Remove the mainspring.

Then you open the action ( break the barrel open ) rotate the latch on the bear trap to remove the linkage on the trigger mech and pull that out.

Remove the flat head screw holding the barrel assembly off and pull out the lever that pulls back the piston.

Using a hook pull the piston out. Being careful with the seal on the slot where the lever guides the piston. Mainly where they cut the seals.

Install in reverse order. Trick for the trigger mech is using a small zip tie, string etc loop it around the safety, pulling the trigger in and pushing down the sear holding it down so you can reinstall it. Then you cut it once installed.

Honestly they're simple. When you put in a new spring you might want to use a spring compressor being that they're harder then the stock spring.


When you take the stock off just snap a picture, I can tell you right away if its a long or short piston. Blocking the relief hole is simple of a sanded down copper penny between the piston and top hat.

Only if you got a long piston, would you need the piston in the kit. Order parts from Gravel Agency is cheaper than scopes and ammo. Theyre the main crosman dealer.

Just trying to save you buying something you honestly don't need. There ways around it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:50 am
Posts: 114
Location: Nova Scotia
leadslinger wrote:
I never owned a springer till couple months ago, and now I own many. Taken a B18 apart 100s of time, They're simple.

With the 495 crosman you really don't need a spring compressor. Even my crosman shooting 680-750FPS has the same spring tension as the stock 495 spring. ( blocked relief hole )

You need just basic tools like Flat head, phillips screw driver, a thumb wrench or 12mm wrench, a hook is good, and a zip tie or string.

Once you take the stock off, 3 phillips screws holding the stock set it aside. Then remove the 12mm nut holding the cross pin in. Put the muzzle onto the ground and push down with your palm on the rear of the reciever and pop the pin out.

Remove the spring guide and cap.

Remove the mainspring.

Then you open the action ( break the barrel open ) rotate the latch on the bear trap to remove the linkage on the trigger mech and pull that out.

Remove the flat head screw holding the barrel assembly off and pull out the lever that pulls back the piston.

Using a hook pull the piston out. Being careful with the seal on the slot where the lever guides the piston. Mainly where they cut the seals.

Install in reverse order. Trick for the trigger mech is using a small zip tie, string etc loop it around the safety, pulling the trigger in and pushing down the sear holding it down so you can reinstall it. Then you cut it once installed.

Honestly they're simple. When you put in a new spring you might want to use a spring compressor being that they're harder then the stock spring.


When you take the stock off just snap a picture, I can tell you right away if its a long or short piston. Blocking the relief hole is simple of a sanded down copper penny between the piston and top hat.

Only if you got a long piston, would you need the piston in the kit. Order parts from Gravel Agency is cheaper than scopes and ammo. Theyre the main crosman dealer.

Just trying to save you buying something you honestly don't need. There ways around it.

You are right... I should check the piston myself before spending on something that I may not need...I really appreciate the help and I will get a pic of my piston asap..
I'm actually looking forward to tearing my gun down now :)

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 8:30 pm
Posts: 1184
Location: Eastern Townships
The angle of your rifle's cocked barrel may give you a good clue as to what piston you have. Here are pictures of a CS5M22 Phantom's action with a short piston (495 fps), and a Crosman TR77NPS (same action type as the Phantom) with a long piston. Also, if you remove the stock, you can see the piston through the cocking slot in the receiver. In the last picture, my Phantom with the short piston again. If you have a long piston, you will clearly see the wider gap between the piston's cocking slot and the sear latch hole.

Hope it helps!


Attachments:
IMG_4504.JPG
IMG_4504.JPG [ 145.11 KiB | Viewed 749 times ]
IMG_4864.JPG
IMG_4864.JPG [ 180.53 KiB | Viewed 749 times ]
IMG_4863.JPG
IMG_4863.JPG [ 61.44 KiB | Viewed 749 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:50 am
Posts: 114
Location: Nova Scotia
airmec wrote:
The angle of your rifle's cocked barrel may give you a good clue as to what piston you have. Here are pictures of a CS5M22 Phantom's action with a short piston (495 fps), and a Crosman TR77NPS (same action type as the Phantom) with a long piston. Also, if you remove the stock, you can see the piston through the cocking slot in the receiver. In the last picture, my Phantom with the short piston again. If you have a long piston, you will clearly see the wider gap between the piston's cocking slot and the sear latch hole.

Hope it helps!

The cocking angle is exactly the same as your Phantom...does that mean the piston is the one that needs to be plugged, or replaced?

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:50 am
Posts: 114
Location: Nova Scotia
leadslinger wrote:
I never owned a springer till couple months ago, and now I own many. Taken a B18 apart 100s of time, They're simple.

With the 495 crosman you really don't need a spring compressor. Even my crosman shooting 680-750FPS has the same spring tension as the stock 495 spring. ( blocked relief hole )

You need just basic tools like Flat head, phillips screw driver, a thumb wrench or 12mm wrench, a hook is good, and a zip tie or string.

Once you take the stock off, 3 phillips screws holding the stock set it aside. Then remove the 12mm nut holding the cross pin in. Put the muzzle onto the ground and push down with your palm on the rear of the reciever and pop the pin out.

Remove the spring guide and cap.

Remove the mainspring.

Then you open the action ( break the barrel open ) rotate the latch on the bear trap to remove the linkage on the trigger mech and pull that out.

Remove the flat head screw holding the barrel assembly off and pull out the lever that pulls back the piston.

Using a hook pull the piston out. Being careful with the seal on the slot where the lever guides the piston. Mainly where they cut the seals.

Install in reverse order. Trick for the trigger mech is using a small zip tie, string etc loop it around the safety, pulling the trigger in and pushing down the sear holding it down so you can reinstall it. Then you cut it once installed.

Honestly they're simple. When you put in a new spring you might want to use a spring compressor being that they're harder then the stock spring.


When you take the stock off just snap a picture, I can tell you right away if its a long or short piston. Blocking the relief hole is simple of a sanded down copper penny between the piston and top hat.

Only if you got a long piston, would you need the piston in the kit. Order parts from Gravel Agency is cheaper than scopes and ammo. Theyre the main crosman dealer.

Just trying to save you buying something you honestly don't need. There ways around it.

So, if it is a short piston it may have the bleed hole, which can simply be plugged OR just a weaker spring that will need to be swapped?

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 2782
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
Msit No'kmaq wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
I never owned a springer till couple months ago, and now I own many. Taken a B18 apart 100s of time, They're simple.

With the 495 crosman you really don't need a spring compressor. Even my crosman shooting 680-750FPS has the same spring tension as the stock 495 spring. ( blocked relief hole )

You need just basic tools like Flat head, phillips screw driver, a thumb wrench or 12mm wrench, a hook is good, and a zip tie or string.

Once you take the stock off, 3 phillips screws holding the stock set it aside. Then remove the 12mm nut holding the cross pin in. Put the muzzle onto the ground and push down with your palm on the rear of the reciever and pop the pin out.

Remove the spring guide and cap.

Remove the mainspring.

Then you open the action ( break the barrel open ) rotate the latch on the bear trap to remove the linkage on the trigger mech and pull that out.

Remove the flat head screw holding the barrel assembly off and pull out the lever that pulls back the piston.

Using a hook pull the piston out. Being careful with the seal on the slot where the lever guides the piston. Mainly where they cut the seals.

Install in reverse order. Trick for the trigger mech is using a small zip tie, string etc loop it around the safety, pulling the trigger in and pushing down the sear holding it down so you can reinstall it. Then you cut it once installed.

Honestly they're simple. When you put in a new spring you might want to use a spring compressor being that they're harder then the stock spring.


When you take the stock off just snap a picture, I can tell you right away if its a long or short piston. Blocking the relief hole is simple of a sanded down copper penny between the piston and top hat.

Only if you got a long piston, would you need the piston in the kit. Order parts from Gravel Agency is cheaper than scopes and ammo. Theyre the main crosman dealer.

Just trying to save you buying something you honestly don't need. There ways around it.

So, if it is a short piston it may have the bleed hole, which can simply be plugged OR just a weaker spring that will need to be swapped?

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk


The phantom I dealt with had no bleed hole, short piston, weak spring. So was just a spring swap.

Yes it may or may not. Once you pull the spring out and the top hat ( inside the pistol ) you should be able to look in to see if it has a bleed hole. If it does, just plug it ( I personally used a penny ) If it doesn't all you need is a spring ( B18 - 00 - 4D part number ) Which will get you around 740 FPS with 14.3.

Good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:50 am
Posts: 114
Location: Nova Scotia
leadslinger wrote:
Msit No'kmaq wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
I never owned a springer till couple months ago, and now I own many. Taken a B18 apart 100s of time, They're simple.

With the 495 crosman you really don't need a spring compressor. Even my crosman shooting 680-750FPS has the same spring tension as the stock 495 spring. ( blocked relief hole )

You need just basic tools like Flat head, phillips screw driver, a thumb wrench or 12mm wrench, a hook is good, and a zip tie or string.

Once you take the stock off, 3 phillips screws holding the stock set it aside. Then remove the 12mm nut holding the cross pin in. Put the muzzle onto the ground and push down with your palm on the rear of the reciever and pop the pin out.

Remove the spring guide and cap.

Remove the mainspring.

Then you open the action ( break the barrel open ) rotate the latch on the bear trap to remove the linkage on the trigger mech and pull that out.

Remove the flat head screw holding the barrel assembly off and pull out the lever that pulls back the piston.

Using a hook pull the piston out. Being careful with the seal on the slot where the lever guides the piston. Mainly where they cut the seals.

Install in reverse order. Trick for the trigger mech is using a small zip tie, string etc loop it around the safety, pulling the trigger in and pushing down the sear holding it down so you can reinstall it. Then you cut it once installed.

Honestly they're simple. When you put in a new spring you might want to use a spring compressor being that they're harder then the stock spring.


When you take the stock off just snap a picture, I can tell you right away if its a long or short piston. Blocking the relief hole is simple of a sanded down copper penny between the piston and top hat.

Only if you got a long piston, would you need the piston in the kit. Order parts from Gravel Agency is cheaper than scopes and ammo. Theyre the main crosman dealer.

Just trying to save you buying something you honestly don't need. There ways around it.

So, if it is a short piston it may have the bleed hole, which can simply be plugged OR just a weaker spring that will need to be swapped?

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk


The phantom I dealt with had no bleed hole, short piston, weak spring. So was just a spring swap.

Yes it may or may not. Once you pull the spring out and the top hat ( inside the pistol ) you should be able to look in to see if it has a bleed hole. If it does, just plug it ( I personally used a penny ) If it doesn't all you need is a spring ( B18 - 00 - 4D part number ) Which will get you around 740 FPS with 14.3.

Good luck.

Assuming (by the pics of the cocking angle that I compared mine to) that it IS the short piston, you saved me a fair chunk of change...lol...thanks again...
I am hoping it is the hole...sounds like a simple fix...and won't have to wait for a spring in mail...I am impatient :)

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 2782
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
http://store.onlinecamp.com/

That's gravel agency the main crosman dealer.

Piston Seal $2.35 B18-04-1A
Breech Seal $2.35 B12-00-14
Spring $13.93 B18-00-4D

Too bad I just sold a phantom spring.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:50 am
Posts: 114
Location: Nova Scotia
leadslinger wrote:
http://store.onlinecamp.com/

That's gravel agency the main crosman dealer.

Piston Seal $2.35 B18-04-1A
Breech Seal $2.35 B12-00-14
Spring $13.93 B18-00-4D

Too bad I just sold a phantom spring.

Wow that is way cheaper than I was gonna spend on the rebuild kit....

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 2782
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
Msit No'kmaq wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
http://store.onlinecamp.com/

That's gravel agency the main crosman dealer.

Piston Seal $2.35 B18-04-1A
Breech Seal $2.35 B12-00-14
Spring $13.93 B18-00-4D

Too bad I just sold a phantom spring.

Wow that is way cheaper than I was gonna spend on the rebuild kit....

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk


Yup by about 37$ before taxes and shipping. As long as its a short piston you can work with it. I always order seals when I order parts just because they're cheap and to have them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:50 am
Posts: 114
Location: Nova Scotia
leadslinger wrote:
Msit No'kmaq wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
http://store.onlinecamp.com/

That's gravel agency the main crosman dealer.

Piston Seal $2.35 B18-04-1A
Breech Seal $2.35 B12-00-14
Spring $13.93 B18-00-4D

Too bad I just sold a phantom spring.

Wow that is way cheaper than I was gonna spend on the rebuild kit....

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk


Yup by about 37$ before taxes and shipping. As long as its a short piston you can work with it. I always order seals when I order parts just because they're cheap and to have them.

When using the penny to block off the hole, do I have to sand both sides...and should I JB weld it in place?

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 2782
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
I just did the side against the piston. I didnt JB weld it, being that the spring and top hat keeps it in place.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO