Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:50 am 

Was wondering if storing co2 cartridges between two "Hot Paws" hand warmers would help with maintaining adequate pressure during the upcoming winter months?

Len

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:15 pm 

Yes it will, see attached chart. Plus every shot drops temp, so there will be a recovery time needed for the warmers to catch up. If only warmed before put in the gun then the temp will start dropping right away, and get colder each shot. Even in the desert where I live I remember 12gr CO2's frosting up when I'd shoot too much in a short time. If I shoot say 6 shots rapid fire from my Crosman revolver each shot would be less powerful than the last, which I could clearly hear and see the pellet drop further. Here I have ambient temp to warm them back up, for you not so much. I rekon the best thing would be a larger bottle, like a 9oz or larger like people use with QB guns (see Archer Airguns website). Then you could attach the heat pack to the bottle and each shot would have very little effect on temp. I'd consider a pressure gauge to keep an eye on it to stay consistent since pressure can change drastically with temp. Or break down and get a pcp ;)

Attachments:
CO2 pressure chart.jpg
CO2 pressure chart.jpg [ 75.68 KiB | Viewed 480 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:17 am 

Chevota wrote:
Yes it will, see attached chart. Plus every shot drops temp, so there will be a recovery time needed for the warmers to catch up. If only warmed before put in the gun then the temp will start dropping right away, and get colder each shot. Even in the desert where I live I remember 12gr CO2's frosting up when I'd shoot too much in a short time. If I shoot say 6 shots rapid fire from my Crosman revolver each shot would be less powerful than the last, which I could clearly hear and see the pellet drop further. Here I have ambient temp to warm them back up, for you not so much. I rekon the best thing would be a larger bottle, like a 9oz or larger like people use with QB guns (see Archer Airguns website). Then you could attach the heat pack to the bottle and each shot would have very little effect on temp. I'd consider a pressure gauge to keep an eye on it to stay consistent since pressure can change drastically with temp. Or break down and get a pcp ;)

Thx!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:29 am 

Is there any danger of the additional pressure exciding the cartridge's maximum safe working pressure?

Chevota wrote:
Yes it will...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:33 am 

Another approach to the cold and Co2 cartridges:
Last year I used a heating pad in my car port where I like to shoot when the snow's on. I used a revolver and a pistol and rotated them to allow them warming time. A strip thermometer was
taped to each pistol so I could monitor their temp. These are the thermometers used on aquariums.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:01 pm 

Redleg wrote:
Another approach to the cold and Co2 cartridges:
Last year I used a heating pad in my car port where I like to shoot when the snow's on. I used a revolver and a pistol and rotated them to allow them warming time. A strip thermometer was
taped to each pistol so I could monitor their temp. These are the thermometers used on aquariums.

Thx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:14 pm 

I think you'd really have to heat the hell out of them to get them to blow, but at what point they blow I can't say. I rekon it would just pop/tear the top where it's thin and scare you. How hot do those little packs get? They seemed to me more like 140F? My guess is that wouldn't blow 'em, but I suppose some testing might be in order?
Fyi: http://tinyurl.com/gwp62h9
This isn't the only case if this sorta thing. Most nitrous bottles are 10lb, so ~2/3rds the size of a typical scuba tank, and rated to 1800psi. Why the burst disc didn't vent I don't know. So 1800 working probably means 3600 burst? I can see why it destroyed the car...
I had a disc pop onna 20lb CO2 bottle, in the cab of my truck while driving w/ windows up. Not fun... Yes I had a reason for not putting it in the bed.

I guess if the CO2 were in a guns grip, I suppose maybe you could have a little tube leading to it so you could blow on it? I had a Freon powered (1lb auto cans of R12) full auto BB gun long ago, and it would freeze up fast so I'd hit it with the hose which fixed that in a few seconds. Probably not much use to you in CA but just throwing ideas out.