Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:07 pm 

Phantom 500 .22 with gas ram installed from Nitro Venom...
Shoots 14 gr. Lead at 725 fps.
Pretty accurate considering it was I who built it.....
Small soup cans still pierced through both sides...but just barely... at 225 feet with 14 gr. hollow points....
Pop cans full of water still blasting through at 225 feet same pellets

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:24 pm 

I'm confused...my 2240 punches through large 1.36 L tomato juice cans...through both sides...@530 fps.....easily...... that's with CPHPs...

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:45 pm 

I agree with you....you're confused....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:38 pm 

Like the look of the muzzle brake and monster scope.Ready for serious shooting.And hitting small cans at PCP distances with a ram or springer is good I would say.I tried pop cans at 60 yards and found I was just wasting ammo, so few were the hits.So I stick with 40 yards max.Good job.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:20 am 

The Phantom is the most underrated platform out there. The stock has great ergonomics. I installed the PAL rated spring and brought mine together for 100 bucks, 50 for scope and its a grouse killer. Guessing 720 fps

How about some cost details on the conversion. I would love to do up an NP for myself on a budget.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:30 am 

MyCrosman wrote:

Lol....for some reason I thought it was 25feet...not 225....now I understand...my bad :/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:06 am 

Msit No'kmaq wrote:
MyCrosman wrote:

Lol....for some reason I thought it was 25feet...not 225....now I understand...my bad :/

No problem....sounds like a nice pistol you have there....love the 2240s.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:22 am 

tango wrote:
The Phantom is the most underrated platform out there. The stock has great ergonomics. I installed the PAL rated spring and brought mine together for 100 bucks, 50 for scope and its a grouse killer. Guessing 720 fps

How about some cost details on the conversion. I would love to do up an NP for myself on a budget.

Actually....I guess I didn't word my first post properly......my phantom NP isn't a true conversion....its more of a Frankenstein gun.You will notice the picatanny scope rail which the phantom line doesn't come with....they use dovetail mounts.I merely removed the barrel from my nitro venom .177.....attached the .22 Phantom barrel with new spacers/washers for a nice snug lockup....Then I put the muzzlebrake off the .177 barrel onto the .22 and dropped the whole thing back in the Phantom stock.Kind of unique I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:16 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:
Msit No'kmaq wrote:
MyCrosman wrote:

No problem....sounds like a nice pistol you have there....love the 2240s.

I also have a Phantom 22...but, it is the detuned version...I am planning on swapping the piston and spring for a 800 rebuild kit...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:00 pm 

The nitro conversion isn't too hard imo. See pix. So all you really need is the spring which should be ~$52CA? But fyi they have a high failure rate via leaking, at least so far in my experience. So I'd try the coil spring first with mods to quiet and smooth it down, then if you're unhappy you can always try nitro, but it's up to you... Just seems to me the cost and risk of nitro is a big chance, but they are cool. I'd order a new top hat since you have to cut it, in case you go back to coil... I forget the price but should be ~$2.50 - $5CA.

Attachments:
Nitro conversion 1.JPG
Nitro conversion 1.JPG [ 149.53 KiB | Viewed 551 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:55 pm 
Supporting Member

I put a nitro piston in my Phantom using the Chevota method, and it works just fine. I had broken two coils off my PAL spring, and I put it into my Quest when the spring in it broke. It works fine in the Quest.

Installing the spacer and top hat is a little tricky because without the spring guide etc., to stabilize it, it's kind of wiggly and my compressor having a ball fitting behind the "pushing" surface is a bit wiggly too. Once the pin and the threaded bolt/nut to attach the stock were installed it was as solid as could be. The pin takes the pressure of the piston and the bolt/nut just keeps it nice and straight. Wrapping/super gluing the plastic around the big end keeps everything nicely lined up.

I didn't find a vast difference in fps over the PAL spring, and I have a plastic piston liner and buttons so it wasn't really noisy before.

I did notice a big increase in cocking effort, for not much increase (if any) in power.

I'm seriously thinking of buying another PAL spring (which is less than half the cost of a piston), and going back to it, although cocking it has become part of my fitness regimen. 8)

The piston is the same as the Nitro-Venom. I swapped them out yesterday when the NV was giving me grief, then swapped them back.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:57 pm 

When assembling I had the nitro in the piston but the nitro shaft extended out the gun a bit. I mated the top hat hole to the nitro and shoved the assy in the gun, then while holding the end so the nitro won't pop outta the hole I compressed it. But I do it by hand so no biggie, I suppose some compressors could make it very difficult but I suppose if you inverted the compressor that would make it easier? Maybe?
I suppose you could pack some cord/string or fabric in the piston to support the nitro so it stays centered, then once together it could be pulled out thru the slot. Maybe?
The peak cocking effort is usually similar, but the effort at the beginning is much more with nitro. Just after the barrel catch I measure about 3lbs with a coil and 9 with nitro. Then ~ half way it's ~11 and 22. But the nitro does let off a few lbs the last couple inches where the coil not so much or not at all. Overall I think the nitro is a good chunk harder to cock while delivering minimal power gains yet much more scope abuse.
I think with a little pressure bled off it should cost almost nothing in power but make everything else better. My guess is the spring mfg said this is what we sell so that's what Crosman uses. Plus with the extra pressure I imagine it saves some $ in returns since it takes longer for people to notice slow leakers :o