Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: A little advice?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:49 pm 

Hi all. I'm new to the forum, located in south Saskatchewan near Regina. Here's the story...I live on an acreage and am being overrun with gophers, and to some extent, pest birds. I used to use a 22 rimfire for the gophers and a 410 for the birds. I run a dog boarding kennel and was never really comfortable using the 22 even remotely close to the kennel and found the the 410 caused quite a stir no matter how far away I was. I was never much of a shot, even allowing for iron sights on a old gun, but I had time on my hands and some patience if I missed. Then I went blind in my right eye and had to switch to shooting left handed. I can't really seem to make that work well at all. The gophers don't even run away when they see me coming and I have killed more by squishing them with the garden shed than by shooting them. I think maybe it is time for an equipment upgrade and a pcp airgun has my interest. I have never shot a gun with a scope but I am sure that will help too. I like the idea of being able to turn down the power and not worrying about sailing one into the neighbours yard half a mile away, but still being able to put something down from 50 yards if I hit it. Big if, but I hope the scope will help with that. Am I headed in the right direction looking at a Hatsan AT44 in 25 cal? I am not bargain hunting and have always been a fan of the "buy your last tool first" philosophy but for the price of a AirArms S510 Extra fac I can get a Hatsan and a pump and a scope. Can the Hatsan be regulated to tune it back somewhat if needed? Or is the Air Arms just a much better choice?

Post subject: Re: A little advice?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:10 pm 

Dogboy wrote:
Hi all. I'm new to the forum, located in south Saskatchewan near Regina. Here's the story...I live on an acreage and am being overrun with gophers, and to some extent, pest birds. I used to use a 22 rimfire for the gophers and a 410 for the birds. I run a dog boarding kennel and was never really comfortable using the 22 even remotely close to the kennel and found the the 410 caused quite a stir no matter how far away I was. I was never much of a shot, even allowing for iron sights on a old gun, but I had time on my hands and some patience if I missed. Then I went blind in my right eye and had to switch to shooting left handed. I can't really seem to make that work well at all. The gophers don't even run away when they see me coming and I have killed more by squishing them with the garden shed than by shooting them. I think maybe it is time for an equipment upgrade and a pcp airgun has my interest. I have never shot a gun with a scope but I am sure that will help too. I like the idea of being able to turn down the power and not worrying about sailing one into the neighbours yard half a mile away, but still being able to put something down from 50 yards if I hit it. Big if, but I hope the scope will help with that. Am I headed in the right direction looking at a Hatsan AT44 in 25 cal? I am not bargain hunting and have always been a fan of the "buy your last tool first" philosophy but for the price of a AirArms S510 Extra fac I can get a Hatsan and a pump and a scope. Can the Hatsan be regulated to tune it back somewhat if needed? Or is the Air Arms just a much better choice?

Just sharing my experience with the shoot yesterday in Brian's place. I used my s410 fac, the predecessor of the s510. At 50 yards I could make half to three fourth inch size grouping. Up the ante and shot the spinner ( about 3 inch diameter to my estimate) located at about 81 yards. Hit it 8 out of 10 times . The gun is better than the shooter for sure but that's how accurate it is with 16g TX pellets at mid power setting. I'll go for the air arms anytime. Good luck on your decision.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:46 am 

This is your first post, so welcome to CAF. A PCP rifle would certainly do for gophers, but if you're looking to shoot them up to 50 yards there's little room to "turn" them "down". A pellet slows down much faster than a .22LR round does and may not have enough energy at 50 to do the job if it's power is reduced at the muzzle. It does, however, make the former preferable to the latter when your neighbours are half-a-mile away.

There are a lot of PCP's available for your purposes -- which one depends on your budget, which needs to account for a PCP hand pump as well as the rifle and scope. At the minimum, a pump, rifle, and scope is close to $700 and maybe quite a bit more, unless you find some good deals on used equipment.

Here's a cost effective alternative. Use your own .22LR or get a newer one for under $300 and try something like CCI Quiet round nose ammunition or CCI Quiet segmented HP ammunition. They are much quieter than "regular" .22LR ammo and have a slower muzzle velocity and shorter range. They will easily dispatch gophers as they will have more energy than most pellets from a PCP (MV is 710 fps and energy is 45 fpe). See http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/ ... loadNo=960 and http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/ ... oadNo=0970 This ammo is currently available at https://www.reliablegun.com/en/rimfire-ammunition

Good luck with your decision.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:53 pm 

Thanks guys. I am honestly leaning more towards the AA than the Hatsan even though it is a much bigger ticket item. Everybody seems to love their S510.

I never knew about the quiet loads for the .22. Good to know and thanks for the tip.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:34 pm 

Dogboy wrote:
Thanks guys. I am honestly leaning more towards the AA than the Hatsan even though it is a much bigger ticket item. Everybody seems to love their S510.

I never knew about the quiet loads for the .22. Good to know and thanks for the tip.

Dan

I forgot to say... the AirArms510/410 is very quiet with its shrouded barrel.

:-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:07 am 

Can you mount a scope on your current 22lr? What about a scope cam + sub sonic ammo for your .22lr? Here's a youtube vid of one of the more popular airgunning experts, pesting at a farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BKRakou4QY

Hope that helps,
Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:46 am 

Skip the AT44 and go for the BT65. Has a bigger air reservoir and higher power right out of the box. As far as the AA goes ,it's a beautiful rifle no doubt but underpowered for gophers at 50yards . I'm a bit of a Hatsan fanboy and currently own a BT 65 home tuned to shoot cast bullets at over 100fpe at the muzzle . It is a tack driver with JSB pellets out to 75 yards . No need to tune the rifle other than a barrel cleaning and adjust the trigger to your preference ( either Hatsan rifles) welcome to the CAF .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:01 pm 

In my opinion, any pcp is capable of killing gophers out to 50 yds, BUT to do it humanly most of the time, requires a quality gun. If your budget allows, go for the AA or the BT65. I personally own a EunJin Sumatra and would love to go gopher hunting with that. I wouldn't even look for rodents under 50 yds. No fun or challenge to it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:14 pm 

My AT44 does in gophers at 50 yards. 22 cal. JSBs
25 cal pellets can be hard to find locally

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:18 pm 

My gopher gun is my AA 410
Really accurate and very quiet
Usually use the .22 cal.
But sometimes take the .177

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:23 pm 

Quiet is good so it sounds like the AA wins over the Hatsan in that regard. Good to hear of others reaching out to 50 yds for a gopher with no problem.
Not terribly interested in mounting a scope on the old Savage .22 or in buying another rimfire rifle.
I like the idea of dialing down the AA for something close and quiet and then turning it up when the next gopher pops up at 30 yards farther away.
If I go with the s510, any recommendations for a scope?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:44 pm 

Dogboy wrote:
Quiet is good so it sounds like the AA wins over the Hatsan in that regard. Good to hear of others reaching out to 50 yds for a gopher with no problem.
Not terribly interested in mounting a scope on the old Savage .22 or in buying another rimfire rifle.
I like the idea of dialing down the AA for something close and quiet and then turning it up when the next gopher pops up at 30 yards farther away.
If I go with the s510, any recommendations for a scope?

I have a Hawke Varmint 6-24 x44 side AO mounted on mine. Good to as close as 15 yards but if you'll shoot closer, you might need to look at any of the Hawke scope with AO which could focus closer than 15 yards. Mine is very clear even at 50 yards at 20x magnification. A bigger objective bell say 50 would be clearer too. S510 FAC is the way to go if you are looking at one of the 510 variants. You could never go wrong with these AA 510's. Happy shooting!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:55 pm 

Here's what you do. Invite me out for a few days. I bring my bulk CO2 bottle, AR2079 and about a thousand pellets and I sits and shoots 'til I pass out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:54 pm 

So after getting lots of helpful advice I ordered the AA s510 .25 with a midrange Hawke scope and a hand pump. I think the hand pump will be good enough as I really don't plan on a whole bunch of shooting. If I get really tired of pumping I'll mechanize the hand pump and set a timer.
Thanks to everyone who chimed in with help. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:51 pm 

Good luck with the PCP - have a couple and like them lots. I really have fun with the HW97 in .177 and the HW98 in .22 for gophers out to 56yards. The springers never run out of air. I use Polymag HP's in both of them- very accurate and hit hard. I didn't get any pictures of rats with the 98.