Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Hello from Ukraine
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:44 pm 

Hi. Just decided to register here. I am a PhD student currently studying in Canada, but originally I come from Ukraine.

I have been a member of Ukrainian airgun community for 4 years now and have some experience in using different airguns. All of them are .177 caliber, since this caliber is not a subject for licensing in Ukraine.
So, I really like shooting as a hobby, and since now most of the time I am in Canada I really miss it (all of my rifles are at home). So, I was thinking that maybe I could own an airgun here in Canada.

I already understood that some CO2 pistols should be available without a license, but what about rifles? Here http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... ir-eng.htm it says "High-powered air rifles are generally classified as non-restricted firearms", but what does it mean? does it mean I can own them without a license? And if I do need a license, how do I get it if I am a foreign citizen? Can I get it at all? If somebody could help me with those questions that would be really nice.

Also, I hope I could contribute with info about different guns, since I read a lot and I kinda have "international experience" here, lol.

I myself own QB-78 PCP bullpup with a Korean muzzle (well, to be honest, that can hardly be called QB-78 anymore). I also have Izh-61 (MP-61) PCP and a number of other things.

Post subject: Re: Hello from Ukraine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:11 am 

Greetings!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:40 am 

Welcome to Canada even for a while. My father in law was Ukrainian so I was lucky eating a lot of cabbage rolls, borsht and parahey. Sorry for the spelling.
You don't need a license for all airguns (pistol or rifle) that shoots below 500fps. Yes you need a license to own airguns that shoot over that. It's called the Possession and Acquisition License (PAL). With that license you can also purchase powder burning rifles and ammunition. For powder burning pistols you need the Restricted PAL. As for getting the license (which involves taking a course and exam) being a non Canadian I don't know. You could either contact the RCMP firearms division but it would be much easier going to a nearby shooting range and asking there as they usually do the Fire arms course and Exam.
Good Luck,
Ed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:02 pm 

Aged wrote:
For powder burning pistols you need the Restricted PAL.

You also need the Restricted PAL for air pistols shooting over 500fps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:09 pm 

lleader wrote:

well, I assume there not so many of those on the market :D

as far as I know, most CO2 pistols shoot with a velocity of about 100-160 meters per second. True, 160 m/s is higher than 500 fps (sorry, I am more comfortable with metric system, but online calculator says that 500 fps=152 m/s), but from the top of my mind I can only think of one (?) model of CO2 pistol which has a velocity of 160 m/s without an upgrade and this gun is not even produced anymore :D (there used to be a Russian factory called "Aniks", but it bankrupted).

also, I assume there are a bunch of fancy PCP pistols which have a velocity higher than 152 m/s

Anyways, thanks for your answers. I was really hoping that I could purchase a PCP rifle here. I should find out what are the legal requirements for foreigners...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:34 pm 

TrioMaster wrote:
lleader wrote:

well, I assume there not so many of those on the market :D

as far as I know, most CO2 pistols shoot with a velocity of about 100-160 meters per second. True, 160 m/s is higher than 500 fps (sorry, I am more comfortable with metric system, but online calculator says that 500 fps=152 m/s), but from the top of my mind I can only think of one (?) model of CO2 pistol which has a velocity of 160 m/s without an upgrade and this gun is not even produced anymore :D (there used to be a Russian factory called "Aniks", but it bankrupted).

also, I assume there are a bunch of fancy PCP pistols which have a velocity higher than 152 m/s

Anyways, thanks for your answers. I was really hoping that I could purchase a PCP rifle here. I should find out what are the legal requirements for foreigners...

Hi and welcome in Canada and on this forum, TrioMaster!

FYI, there are nice under-152 m/s PCP rifles available, such as: http://www.airgunforum.ca/store/product ... cts_id=130

And I know of at least one very cool PCP pistol under 152 m/s: http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/cros ... istol.html and http://www.crosman.com/airguns/air-pist ... pistol-177 (for complete specs)

Also the QB78 and AR2078 are availables, as well as some others :)

Hope you'll be able to find something interesting!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:10 pm 

Thank you! I'll definitely look at those pistols. Also I find it kinda interesting that here they sell downgraded PCP rifles (like hatsans and stuff) which are under 500 ftps. Cause, you know, that's PCP. the velocity can be increased within few minutes (not that I am going to do that and violate the law). Or do they somehow prevent the upgrade possibility? (just curious)

I also liked those Crosman pistols. They look like a PCP version of Crosman 1377, only with a Lothar Walther barrel.

you know, in Ukraine 1337 is one of the most popular pistols to be upgraded to PCP rifles. That's why I do not think we even have those Crosman pistols, since nobody would probably buy them - everybody just upgrades them themselves. But it is interesting that Crosman decided to replace a Crosman barrel with LW. Very interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:48 pm 

welcome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:57 pm 

Sorry for asking this here, but just decided not to create a new topic.

Could somebody explain one more aspect of this PAL system. Am I required to get a PAL if the pistol/rifle I am buying is larger than .177 caliber but the pellet velocity is less than 500 ftps? I'm just curious whether this http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/cros ... black.html requires a PAL.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:34 am 

As far as I know the only restriction for nonPal guns is velocity. So you could buy a 5.5 or 6.3mm gun shooting a much higher weight pellet, and so energy, as long as it's under 500fps.
Unfortunately that also applies to the super light alloy pellets which means when they rate a gun at 495fps it has to shoot no more than that with even the lightest pellets. Generally a gun rated at 495fps will shoot 400 fps with the lead pellets.
Find somewhere that teaches the firearm license course (it's an easy course) and ask if you are eligible as a foreigner. That way you can buy the gun you really want. It's too bad governments all around the world are so nervous about firearms with all the bad publicity world wide.
Успіху.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:09 am 

Taken from R.C.M.P's site :-

1. Air guns that are firearms for purposes of both the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code

These are air guns with both a high muzzle velocity (greater than 152.4 metres or 500 feet per second) and a high muzzle energy (greater than 5.7 joules or 4.2 foot-pounds). The "muzzle velocity" is the speed of a projectile at the instant it leaves the muzzle of a gun, normally expressed in metres per second or feet per second. The "muzzle energy" is the energy of a projectile at the instant it leaves the muzzle of a gun, expressed in joules or foot-pounds. Air guns need to meet both standards to be classified as firearms for purposes of the Firearms Act.

Pistols are another bundle of wax. Over 500 fps - restricted!! subjected to a bunch of rules.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:46 pm 

Welcome to the forum & Canada Triomaster!!

Megiddo65