Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Slavia 620
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:52 am 

Hi All,
Just acquired one of these in good condition for $50
I bought it because a long time ago I fixed one up for a friend and remembered how well it was shooting, but I had no chrony then so not sure how strong.
Anyway, first thing I did was put a few pellets through it, using the lightweight Norica match 7.48gr. and on the chrony at 491 avg. Really surprising considering I have read that these top out at about 450.
The gun was also accurate, I was close up rested shooting 20yds, but three of 5 touched and the other two were within a 1/4"
I tried ten more with similar results and had one erratic that was a good 3" away.
Very rudimentary sights and shooting to the left.
Trigger is at a hard 6lbs. pull
I figure that its time to take it apart :)
I noticed that the two front screws holding the stock were torn up pretty badly by a poor fitting screwdriver or maybe a butter knife :? I was now thinking that maybe this gun has been modded or the spring blocked, but in I go.
The rear screw by the trigger guard appeared unmolested.
Stock off and looking at the condition of the rest of the gun, it appears to be in very good condition and mostly dirty and seems to have some use, but not abused.
Barrel and rifling appear to be excellent. removed from the chamber and cleaned it up. barrel had only a small amount of lead residue, seems to have been recently cleaned.
Breach seal is flush and when closed the barrel to chamber fit is very tight. Considering adding a shim, but will do that later if needed.
Remove the trigger assembly, needed a cleaning but in very good condition not much wear on the sear.
Unscrew the end cap and release spring load, pull out the piston spring and guide.
Everything is very dry, looks like some kind of anti-seize gunk on it, but no mods done.
Spring is very straight guide is in good health, piston is dirty but in good condition. piston seal is synthetic so it was either replaced, or this is a model that was made later in the run between 1958 -1965, it looks like it is original, but the last one of these I had apart it had a leather seal. the seal had some striations on it, but was still quite pliable, there was a small metal shard stuck to the side behind the front edge, looks like a burr came off during assembly.
Air chamber has some pretty decent linear scratches, but not appear to be too deep, probably some blow by, but not much.
After all it was shooting pretty good.
I decided not to do too much to this as far as mods go, I was thinking I was not going to get much more out of it anyway.
If I want to I can mess around with it some more including the trigger later.
A good cleaning of all parts, added a thin .040" nylon washer to hopefully quite it down a bit deburred the piston slot, chamber slot and a very quick cylinder hone and polish.
Lightly moly lubed all and smeared a drop of chamber oil on the seal.
Put it all back together which is pretty easy with the threaded end cap.
Gave the rear sight a little tap and managed to move it on the dovetail about .020"
Back outside and put about 40 pellets through it until the dieseling stopped.
Back on the chrony and testing again.
Wow I am at 540 avg with a max dev of 13fps, very cool!
I think this is mostly due to lube, but I am expecting this to come up a little more with a few more rounds and then settle down a bit later. hoping to keep an avg of 525 - 535. will check after a tin of lead has passed through.
Still shooting left but much better and useable.
I really like how these Norica match fly straight and fast out of these older guns.
Consistent dimensionally and very little damage. for 8 bucks online they are a perfect plinker and target pellet. Works well on little varmints too.
I worked on a vostek a few weeks ago using the same pellet with almost same results after making a new piston seal.
Crossman ultra magnum 10.5 gr. slows down quite a bit at 448 avg. but still accurate.
It turns out my GF really likes this gun and has taken ownership :( But at least she like to shoot!
Its an easy cocking effort with the fairly long barrel, she like the hard trigger pull so no more work for me on this one!
A link to some pics of the tear down, any questions please ask.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/87442033@N02/W11D28

Benjamin NP XL1100 .22
American Classic model 1377 tuned and custom grip and stock .177
Winchester Model 1000X in .177
Diana Model 52
Baikal 53m .177
Crossman Vigilante .177
Diana Model 6 .177
Slavia 620
Gamo Magnum .22

Post subject: Re: Slavia 620
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:31 pm 

very nice rifle.

thanks for saving it and fixing it up. nice pics too and at 50$ i would have bought it too.

now her i go...... do you have your pal? does your girlfriend have a pal? if not this complicates things.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:07 am 

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the nice comments.

Its a good question about the PAL
We are good there, both restricted and non-restricted.

There is always a gun of some sort in my shop being worked on.
Air guns or powder guns I love to work with all.
I do a bit of work for local retired police and local air guns and powder guns.
Word of mouth has been very good here.
Unfortunately I still work full time in manufacturing and cannot do all the work that comes my way.

Hopefully someday soon I can retire and continue to do this as a small income hobby. :)

Benjamin NP XL1100 .22
Diana Model 52
Baikal 53m .177
Crossman Vigilante .177
Diana Model 6 .177
Slavia 620
Gamo Magnum .22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:46 pm 

wow your in Constance Bay, Ontario that's like under 1 1/2 from my house maybe some day we could grab coffee or plink at my gun club or yours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:53 pm 

I had a 620 in .177 cal, bought new in the early 70's, and it shot about 700 fps with 7 gr. pellets, just under that with 7.9 gr.... In their day, there were the poor man's BSF S60, which was the hottest thing money could buy in those days, they shot about 750ish with the export spring.... The Slavia was just a fraction of the price, and I never got my BSF until a year ago when lauchlin gave me one.... After all these years, a childhood dream come true.... 8)

However, that good ol' Slavia 620 bagged me my first Grouse, I still remember that day.... a powerful springer for it's day....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:59 pm 

Hey Frank
That sounds good!
You can email me at smoothairguns@yahoo.com

Bob, thanks for sharing your experience.
Great to hear stories about old springers!

Benjamin NP XL1100 .22
Diana Model 52
Baikal 53m .177
Crossman Vigilante .177
Diana Model 6 .177
Slavia 620
Gamo Magnum .22

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:17 pm 

I have no idea what my 1970's slavia shot in fps back in the day but it did seem far more punchy than any modern sub PAL i have now. I could reach out and kill snowshoe hares at 50 yards and did it a hundred times. Those rudimentary sights simply worked. I dont know why the modern guns have such blocky and in fact ugly sights.
thanks for the thread

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:30 pm 

Tango,

Thanks for sharing your experience and your thought on the sights.
I am amazed at how well all these old springers last!
I must have had 25-30 or more come through my shop in the past few years, and every time the result is almost the same.
Better than 500 fps, very accurate and light and the basic sights are a breeze to adjust.
A vostek that I recently worked over, is the same, basic, accurate and easy to load and fire.
I agree some of the more clunkier sights on the newer off the shelf stuff are sometimes a pain, but then again the high end stuff is very nice, but thins the wallet in a hurry.
There is something to be said about a gun like the Slavia 620 which is rich in Czech manufacturing history.
See this link
http://www.czub.cz/en/historie.html/
A company that is still making virtually the same model today!
The 630 is almost a duplicate with the addition of the auto safety, the sights are still the same:)
So good point about the basic sights...its been working for many manufacturers for much longer than I have been around.

If you want a air gun the is a great critter ridder and medium range plinker that will not drain funds, get your hands on one of these old guns, do a little work and you will enjoy it forever.

I'm loving these light Norica match pellets with these guns.
8 bucks for 500 and very consistent. Now that's cheap plinking :!:
Have a great long weekend!

Benjamin NP XL1100 .22
Diana Model 52
Baikal 53m .177
Crossman Vigilante .177
Diana Model 6 .177
Slavia 620
Gamo Magnum .22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:34 pm 

ill have to look for those cheap Norica pellets. Not much selection in Yukon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:24 am 

Try this link Tango.
You may have to copy and paste.

https://www.amazon.ca/Valken-Norica-0-1 ... rica+match

Regards,
Rick

Benjamin NP XL1100 .22
Diana Model 52
Baikal 53m .177