Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:02 pm 

Hey! I have a standard tr77 nitro cylinder rifle. I am currently starting to learn about ISSF style shooting, and had the question of dry firing. The manual says "it may damage your gun" but doesn't expressly say it will. I'm simply curious as it is good practice to dry fire to practice trigger technique and I am always interested in getting better. Particularly as I plan on doing a squirrel hunt in a few weeks and any increase in accuracy is more than appreciated. I may be getting a new gun soon, and any recommendation of a non pal gun capable of dry firing? Maybe something with a reasonable price point that will still allow me some pest control? Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:28 pm 

Pellets are not exactly pricey so I would suggest combining your trigger practice with target practice, especially if you intend to shoot squirrels. Personally, I don't think that is a good idea anyway though with a non-PAL rifle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:47 pm 

From what I understand of the newer NP rifles with synthetic piston seals will tolerate the occasion dry fire if needed. Older spring rifles can be damaged. That said, I guess it depends on how much you care for your firearm.

I rarely dry fire my rifles, and so any time I cock any of the rifles, I will insert a pellet and whether it is aimed at target or just a dirt bucket to test the trigger. However for any that I don't really care about for instance my Benjamin Trail Pistol is so miserable to shoot with, I just don't care much for it, so I have just dry fired it sometimes several times in a row - often out of frustration. Even a cheap pellet is wasted with that darn pistol. If it does improve with age, I may regret the abuse I have put on that pistol, but for now it is just a heavy paperweight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:17 pm 

Just go on amazon and pick up a 5$ per 500, cheap pack of daisy pellets to shoot thru.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:21 pm 

Darkstar wrote:
Hey! I have a standard tr77 nitro cylinder rifle. I am currently starting to learn about ISSF style shooting, and had the question of dry firing. The manual says "it may damage your gun" but doesn't expressly say it will. I'm simply curious as it is good practice to dry fire to practice trigger technique and I am always interested in getting better. Particularly as I plan on doing a squirrel hunt in a few weeks and any increase in accuracy is more than appreciated. I may be getting a new gun soon, and any recommendation of a non pal gun capable of dry firing? Maybe something with a reasonable price point that will still allow me some pest control? Thanks guys!

the problem with dry firing is that id totally can damage your rifle. the thing is that when the pellet is in the barrel it creates a resistance for the air in the cylinder. when there is no such resistance, the walls of the cylinder have to be exposed to more pressure and vibration.

basically, I saw rifles which had cracked cylinders as a result of dry firing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:33 pm 

Since you're in the market for another rifle, why not consider a pneumatic? You can dry fire them till your finger blisters off and you won't cause damage to them. A great choice is the Daisy 953 which is cheap and accurate (if you can live with the crappy fibre optic sights it comes with - which can be rectified with a red dot sight or scope). However I wouldn't be shooting any living creatures with it as this single pump airgun lacks the power to kill anything other than baby mice. But you simply cannot ask for a better practice gun, especially as you work to improve your accuracy. Unlike a springer, a pneumatic doesn't have recoil and doesn't require a break-in period. Once you master your aim with it, move on to that springer and go on that killing spree. But yeah, don't dry fire it. Not worth the risk, especially if you haven't taken apart a springer to work in the internals.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:54 pm 

I would fix or replace the oem trigger before bothering with practice because it's so bad you can't master it as it comes from the factory. If you need to practice w/o shooting pellets, like indoors or whatever, then you could make a plug for the barrel so it won't damage the gun/scope. True some springers can probably be dry fired w/o damage, but a full power TR77 I'd say it's not worth risking it. It's especially harsh on the scope. But imo you really need a target to get feedback from what you're doing so dry firing is kinda pointless. It's not like a firearm, it's much more complex so you really need to actually shoot it in order to get good. There's also the gun itself, cheap chinese low bid guns are not like a firearm. Instead they're more like other cheap crap that the mfg pumps out so cheap that the high failure/return rate is worth it. So be sure your gun is actually accurate enough to be worthy of what you're doing, which can be hard to determine if you have yet to master shooting it...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:49 am 

Wow guys! Thanks for all the info, you guys are just great :) i appreciate all of. I didn't think it was a good idea, but you have only confirmed my suspicions. I am actually quite fond of my rifle and have it shooting "reasonably" well at the moment. I agree wholeheartedly about the trigger, and will more than likely put the gt III voodoo trigger that I've heard so much about, from what I've read it'll make a significant difference over the crosman trigger. I think I've decided against buying a new rifle at the moment (though I'm sure a PvP is in my future not too far down the line) and have instead decided to go with the new trigger assembly and possible a crosman2240 pistol. My friend speaks volumes for them, and when all is said I'm done I'll end up with a better rifle, and a new .22 pistol for less than I'd have spent on a new gun anyways. Thank you all for the insight into the matter, and although new to the forums, I greatly appreciate all the information I've gleaned already.