Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Bent barrel perhaps?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:50 am 

Rifle is XS60C, new.

So, this is NOT my setup, just a pic off the web.

Mount is similar to this

My dovetail to weaver mount is solid and mounts on the receiver, behind the breach, It is a 4 screw mount and covers the entire top of the receiver. Very solid. My rings are heavy duty UTG.

So I put a brand new Leapers 3x9x (x50 I think) scope on it, loosened off the turret locks and put the elevation and windage in the middle of their range. Lock to lock is about 4 turns, so 2 turns.

Moved back 10 feet (to get started) from my pellet trap and shot. OFF THE PAPER AT 10 ft...hmmm.

Adjusted the scope as far UP and RIGHT as possible (first shot hit my backstop 18" low and 18" to the left).

Next shot 10" low and 10" to the left...keep in mind this is only from 10 feet.

Removed the mount and scope and turned the mount around 180 degree's, I.E. set screw heads to the bolt side this time. My thoughts were if the mount were machined on an angle then I would hit over to the right this time.

No difference with next shot.

OK so now I figure my new 150 buck scope is junk. I remove an older non-junk Leupold 3x9 from my .338 Win. rifle which I KNOW is good. Mount the scope and try again. Same shiit, from 10 feet with the turrets all the way to the right and up, 8 to 10" low and same to the left. From 10 feet.

At this point the only thing I have left to try is a 2 piece mount like in the above pic.

I'm suspecting one of two things...the dovetail on the receiver is machined wrong (unlikely) or the barrel is bent. If the dovetail is bad, then maybe using a 2 piece mount will "pull" the front of the scope over far enough to be usable. I happen to have a two piece set of dovetail to weaver and will try one in front of the breech and one behind...see if that helps.

I put the new Leapers scope on a QB78 and had it sighted in 10 minutes later, so at least that is good news.

Oh, I also removed the action from the stock on the XS60c and looked around...the inletting was fine and it went back together with nothing binding or forced.

BTW, never tried the "iron" sights as I previously removed them and did not have them with me.

I think its a bent barrel....your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Bent barrel perhaps?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:25 am 

Certainly sounds like a bent barrel.
If your sight base is like the picture, it already has 17 to 20 moa slant to overcome barrel droop on springers. Since this gun appears to be a CO2 or PCP, there should be no problem getting the scope to zero at 10 yards - not feet. At 10feet the pellet will likely not come up to the cross hairs, but it certainly should not be 10" or 18" low - only about 1/2" or so low with max elevation of the scope adjustment.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:38 pm 

Sounds like a bent barrel.
Here's a five part instructional on how to determine, and what to do.
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/?s=bent+barrel&btnGo=

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:44 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Certainly sounds like a bent barrel.
If your sight base is like the picture, it already has 17 to 20 moa slant to overcome barrel droop on springers. Since this gun appears to be a CO2 or PCP, there should be no problem getting the scope to zero at 10 yards - not feet. At 10feet the pellet will likely not come up to the cross hairs, but it certainly should not be 10" or 18" low - only about 1/2" or so low with max elevation of the scope adjustment.

I'm going to grind out the front scope ring, then shim right and top. Will try in about an hour.

It is too late to return the gun and its only a couple hundred anyway...not worth 40 out and 40 back for shipping.

I did inquire about a replacement barrel. My suggestion was to ship me one and I offered to buy it if the problem did not go away. He asked me to try shimming the front ring...I already tried. To do what he wants I have to hog out the ring. Might work.

Yes, at 10 feet I am almost ALWAYS close to the bull, then I adjust and eventually make my way out to 25yrds where I proceed to bench it with sandbags, test pellet brands, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:48 pm 

bobtodrick wrote:
Sounds like a bent barrel.
Here's a five part instructional on how to determine, and what to do.
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/?s=bent+barrel&btnGo=

Informative, thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:10 pm 

If a bent barrel was the cause then it would obvious by looking at, or thru it. I'd say look the thing over before making changes. Could also be the bore quality since chinese barrels are full of surprises. Like a dent in the muzzle or who knows what, but if it can screwed up you can bet they've done it.
The alignment of the barrel to reciever, barrel to scope rail and barrel to scope would all be obvious visually. If not so obvious you can use a yard/meter stick to assist, but what you described should not need one if it's alignment. So check that bore and use an eye loupe on the muzzle end.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:26 pm 

Well, I did a Rube Goldberg on it. Took the front ring to within an inch of its life with a carbide end mill in a Dremel, hogged out the rear ring at the top only.

Gorilla tape strips as shims to push the scope down and left on front ring, and up on rear ring.

To cut it short, after a few more re & re's of the scope (trial and error) I'm dead nuts at 20 yards, with the turrets adjusted 60% or so to the left and down.

Best of the day using .22 cal CPHP was 3 shots touching in the 1" bull and 2 about a 3\4" away, both upper right (my classic "pull" spot"). Distance was 20 yards.

I think the gun is a better shooter than I am to be honest. I forgot my bags, but did have a front Vanguard tripod to use. Arse end of the stock was waving in the air like Brittany Spears caboose twerking unfortunately.

So, 5 or 6 hours, a mangled dovetail, scope that looks like it got tumble dried, hogged out rings that even a blind man wouldn't want to see, one thru and thru hole in my garage door..a perfect Sunday!! :drinkers: :drinkers:

EDIT: thank you all for your suggestions. Now I'm satisfied with it I will really give it a good going over...but I wanted to get it shooting OK first..it was really bugging me :(