Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:11 am 

Anyone have this Rifle? looking for opinions.Good or Bad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:56 am 

First and foremost, you should not believe what the manufacturer says about the pellet speed of a gun. They test with super light, alloy pellets so they can inflate the numbers, so they will attract novice shooter,s who's only concern is power. Secondly, power without accuracy, is useless. Pellet speed over 1000 feet per second has been proven to cause unstable flight, and poor accuracy at longer ranges. And its very rare to find accurate alloy pellets.
Im not saying you are one of those shooters who thinks power is the way to go, but when new members ask about the high power guns, it usually indicates they are unaware of the problems with high power spring guns. They have severe recoil issues, which not only makes them difficult to shoot accurately, but the harsh recoil can destroy a scope, not built to take it. There are a couple of scopes made specifically for springg guns. Nitro piston guns are a little better, but not by much.
To answer your question, The NPTrail is a nice gun, not first class by a big stretch, but fine for back yard can shooting. Or to clean up small vermin at close range. If target shooting is something you would like to do seriously, there are many other much better guns, but come at a price. One of the cheapest high end spring guns is the Diana. reasonably priced, power is a bit low, closer to 800 fps, but nice and light compared to the weirauch or HW guns, and very accurate. If you decide to spend a few dollars more and get a good quality gun, you deffinetly need to use good quality pellets. And JSB is most often the pellet of choice. I have shot cheap crappy guns, that did considerably better, just by switching to JSB pellets. Crosman hollow point pellets are garbage in comperrison, but not bad for plinking, and for god sake, stay away from pointed pellets. The only target they hit are customers who think pointy bullets are better for penetration. Round nose pellets are always more accurate and have equal penetration.
There,s a lot to learn about modern day pellet gun,s and pellets. We old timers on the forum love passing on our knowledge, so remember our motto, theres no such thing as a stupid question. Hope this was helpful.
PS. If you are goung to try to find the best (bang) for your buck, by asking for advice on here, be prepared for a mind boggling journey. There are as many opinions as there are choices, but in the end, is what puts a smile on your face at the end of the day that matters. Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:47 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
First and foremost, you should not believe what the manufacturer says about the pellet speed of a gun. They test with super light, alloy pellets so they can inflate the numbers, so they will attract novice shooter,s who's only concern is power. Secondly, power without accuracy, is useless. Pellet speed over 1000 feet per second has been proven to cause unstable flight, and poor accuracy at longer ranges. And its very rare to find accurate alloy pellets.
Im not saying you are one of those shooters who thinks power is the way to go, but when new members ask about the high power guns, it usually indicates they are unaware of the problems with high power spring guns. They have severe recoil issues, which not only makes them difficult to shoot accurately, but the harsh recoil can destroy a scope, not built to take it. There are a couple of scopes made specifically for springg guns. Nitro piston guns are a little better, but not by much.
To answer your question, The NPTrail is a nice gun, not first class by a big stretch, but fine for back yard can shooting. Or to clean up small vermin at close range. If target shooting is something you would like to do seriously, there are many other much better guns, but come at a price. One of the cheapest high end spring guns is the Diana. reasonably priced, power is a bit low, closer to 800 fps, but nice and light compared to the weirauch or HW guns, and very accurate. If you decide to spend a few dollars more and get a good quality gun, you deffinetly need to use good quality pellets. And JSB is most often the pellet of choice. I have shot cheap crappy guns, that did considerably better, just by switching to JSB pellets. Crosman hollow point pellets are garbage in comperrison, but not bad for plinking, and for god sake, stay away from pointed pellets. The only target they hit are customers who think pointy bullets are better for penetration. Round nose pellets are always more accurate and have equal penetration.
There,s a lot to learn about modern day pellet gun,s and pellets. We old timers on the forum love passing on our knowledge, so remember our motto, theres no such thing as a stupid question. Hope this was helpful.
PS. If you are goung to try to find the best (bang) for your buck, by asking for advice on here, be prepared for a mind boggling journey. There are as many opinions as there are choices, but in the end, is what puts a smile on your face at the end of the day that matters. Cheers

Joe,
I found your post very helpful! Thanks Much...I'm very interested in picking up some info and an accurate air rifle...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:49 pm 

I think it's cool and powerful, but like any chinese gun the bore quality is iffy so accuracy can be good to horrible. One nice thing about Crosman is barrels are cheap so you can always play with it and no big loss if you ruin it or it's simply fubar, just get another...
Mine shoots well, looks great, quiet, ~28ftlbs with ~38lbs to cock. It's 8.44lbs w/o scope, 48.75" long so like all magnum springers it's pretty big and heavy. I tuned mine so w/o that it will have heavier cocking and less power, but tuning is fairly easy, cheap and a must do imo. In a virtually identical power range there's the Hatsan 125, which is harder to cock, heavier, and imo ugly, but functionally somewhat better except for being much louder. Diana 350 is better than either and very nice looking, but less power unless you get a stronger spring, and also louder. So yes I like the XL, but without the suppressor I'm not sure I'd own it and would probably stick to a 350 for magnum use. Of course price is another factor, and I'm not sure what all those guns cost in CA. I got the above guns anywhere from half price to free, but if I had to pay retail it would no doubt change my inventory.
Also, the XL is basically just a physically larger Benjamin Trial Hardwood, basically like a Classic with a nitro and suppressor. So if you have one or similar Crosman you probably know what to expect.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:29 pm 

I have 4, well, the XL and 3 very similar rifles (Classic, Trail non PAL, and Jim Shockley).

The non PAL Trail is the nicest to shoot by far by the way, and I might detune the others one day as i dont hunt with airguns.

There are two styles of stock i really like, the thumb-hole type like on these rifles, and the pistol grip style found on the Crosman TR77. Puts your arm in a more natural position without having to crook your elbow too much.

These are nice rifles for the money. Certainly not bottom of the barrel Chinese, but they are a little rough around the edges (literally).

Taking them apart is pretty straightforward, and you can improve them a lot with proper lubrication, some deburring, and very simple trigger mods.

My XL gets around 750ish FPS the one time my friend brought his chronograph. Crosman Premiere HP. I'm sure that would improve somewhat if I ever shot it enough to break it in.

As with anything in life, there is almost no upper limit to what you can spend on airguns. If you can afford 3 gun safes full of $2500.00 air rifles, by all means do so.

Keep in mind these are NOT no-name junk for $59.00, they will last a long time with proper care. No dry firing, proper lubrication, and so on.

The stock will also come up nice (well, nice for crap wood) if you refinish it. I'm not a fan of that baby poop brown colour, nor pressed checkering, so stripped mine down, did a light walnut stain and finished with 10 coats of Tung oil..it came up a nice light blonde colour. Some people prefer boiled linseed oil...here is a chart on the two

Here is a multi part series from Pyramid Air on the 1100

EDIT: Proper link to 4 part series, sorry. http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/?s=xl1100&btnGo=

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:37 am 

Thanks Guys..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:26 pm 

ITGUY: What caliber and pellet weight gave you 750?
If you detune any of those others you can do coil guns by tinkering with spacer length, including using a stack of washers instead, or nothing at all which cuts the power ~ in half. For a nitro gun they sell a weaker spring # BT5M22-00-1, which is ~2/3rds as strong. Apparently many people with the non-pal TR77NPS come with that spring, so no doubt many would be willing to trade it for a full power version as long as it hasn't leaked yet.
Did you post a pix of that stain job already? Sounds familiar, but would like to see it either way.
Btw, I suggest everyone with an XL to buy this seal: http://tinyurl.com/o7jsmwz alt source: http://tinyurl.com/mq5ucfx Reason being the oem seal is a crummy design and imo beyond repair. Plus like most guns the oem seal is usually damaged during install. Makes more power and a smoother shooter which by default is easier on the scope. An XL doesn't need a spring compressor so seal changes are pretty easy, usually. If anyone need more info I can explain.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:50 pm 

Chevota wrote:
ITGUY: What caliber and pellet weight gave you 750?
Pretty certain it was the trail in .22
If you detune any of those others you can do coil guns by tinkering with spacer length, including using a stack of washers instead, or nothing at all which cuts the power ~ in half. For a nitro gun they sell a weaker spring # BT5M22-00-1, which is ~2/3rds as strong. Apparently many people with the non-pal TR77NPS come with that spring, so no doubt many would be willing to trade it for a full power version as long as it hasn't leaked yet.
Just did exactly that. The strut from a Tr77 is much thinner and weaker, non PAL version.
Did you post a pix of that stain job already? Sounds familiar, but would like to see it either way.
No but I promise I will. Working all weekend cuttting over some servers.
Btw, I suggest everyone with an XL to buy this seal: http://tinyurl.com/o7jsmwz alt source: http://tinyurl.com/mq5ucfx Reason being the oem seal is a crummy design and imo beyond repair. Plus like most guns the oem seal is usually damaged during install. Makes more power and a smoother shooter which by default is easier on the scope. An XL doesn't need a spring compressor so seal changes are pretty easy, usually. If anyone need more info I can explain.