Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:02 pm 

I'm shooting a 14 grain hollow point at 725 fps (75 yards)and the crosswinds where I shoot are almost always 90 degrees @ 20 kph.I've gotten pretty good at compensating but am wondering just how much drift there actually is at this distance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:18 pm 

Since you shoot under these very conditions, you are the perfect person to do the empirical test. Every gun will display slightly different BC's for any 'given' projectile. Charts will only give an idea - your rifle actually shooting under those circumstances might drift less or more than an identical rifle shot with the exact same pellet from the same box. Every gun is unto it's own. Some guns shoot well & seemingly identical with the same pellets - many don't.
You can use a ballistics chart to get an idea, or simply shoot and find out yourself.

you could also use this program below or chair gun's program, which might also give you the average BC of the pellet you are using - or not.

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/balli ... ate+Chart+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:19 pm 

Without consulting a ballistics calculator, which answer is closest to correct?

With a 20 kph crosswind the drift at 75 yards for a 14.3 grain pellet with a MV of 725 fps will be one of the following:
a) 3" b) 6" c) 10" d) 15"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:15 pm 

Penage Guy wrote:
Without consulting a ballistics calculator, which answer is closest to correct?

With a 20 kph crosswind the drift at 75 yards for a 14.3 grain pellet with a MV of 725 fps will be one of the following:
a) 3" b) 6" c) 10" d) 15"

No idea....but since you won't tell me until I guess at it....I'll say d15 inches.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:31 pm 

The pellet drift is 10 inches.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:02 pm 

Which pellet is that out of all the 14.3gr. pellets?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:17 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Which pellet is that out of all the 14.3gr. pellets?

Daisy hollow point....I never tested them to see how they group....but I'm knocking small soup cans at 75 yds....so that's good enough for me....however......I have some 14.66 Excite Hammers on the way.A round pellet....sort of.....so I imagine a different result with these....should be interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:53 pm 

I'm sorry -- I just double checked and did not have the correct pellet. The drift for a Crosman 14.3 grain pellet under the circumstances described would be just over 17 inches at 75 yards. My mistake. That pellet would drop almost 26" at that distance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:03 pm 

Penage Guy wrote:
I'm sorry -- I just double checked and did not have the correct pellet. The drift for a Crosman 14.3 grain pellet under the circumstances described would be just over 17 inches at 75 yards. My mistake. That pellet would drop almost 26" at that distance.

No problem...That's why I guessed at 15 inches.....75 yds LOOKS like a long way off for 725 fps....lots of time for the wind to do its thing..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:19 pm 

Penage Guy wrote:

Drop is 26" if sighted at what range?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:39 am 

Daryl wrote:
Penage Guy wrote:

Drop is 26" if sighted at what range?

The drop would be from the apogee of the pellet's trajectory. How much any projectile will fall is, of course, determined by how long it is in flight and therefore how long gravity will be able to influence that flight. By the time the pellet in question has travelled 75 yards, 0.393 seconds will have elapsed (and its terminal velocity will be 460 fps). In that time, the pellet will fall about 26 inches.