Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:18 pm 

Hi,
I'm brand new to this, and am interested in using an air rifle for pest control up to and including skunks. I have already bought http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dual-calibre-air-rifle-0755031p.html#srp and http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/beeman-air-rifle-with-scope-0755025p.html#srp, both of which were on sale for around $160. I'm thinking of returning them in order to buy the Crosman Nitro Venom, which is evidently much quieter and is on sale this week at Sail. As I dont have a PAL, these are all sub-500 FPS rifles, so I'm wondering if they would be suitable for my purpose. Any thoughts? Am I better off just getting the PAL and subsequently buying a more powerful rifle?

Thanks for any and all thoughts on this.

Cheers
John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:31 pm 

Hi John. I have a PAL Nitro Venom and it is a great inexpressive gun if luck gets you a good one but I feel it us underpowered for skunks.

Guy

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:47 pm 

Welcome to the addiction!
I have the Nitro Venom Dusk .22 non-PAL and is used for small pest control - some rodents in the shed. Personally the Venom will be a better choice than the 2 you currently have from CT just because of the .22 calibre, and quieter nitro piston action.
If you are shooting skunks or larger, you should consider PAL to get a higher energy rifle or larger calibre (.25) to make sure you can humanely dispatch the critters.
But make sure to check your local area on the use of firearms on pests, to stay on the proper side of the law.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:03 pm 

If you're limited to 500fps and you want to do pesting, then you'll want the 0.22 version since the pellets are roughly twice as heavy and going the same speed.

From what I understand skunks are hard to kill without having them spray, and with a non-PAL you'll have to get your shot placement exactly right. Better to get your PAL and get a more powerful gun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:49 pm 

Thanks for the replies all. It looks like I'll forego the 500fps version and see about getting my PAL. I'm not sure I actually have it in me to shoot anything, but if I do, I want it to be as quick and painless a dispatch as possible. I'll also check to make sure what I'm looking to do is legal before I pull the trigger (so to speak).

Cheers
John

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:32 pm 

Johnster wrote:
Thanks for the replies all. It looks like I'll forego the 500fps version and see about getting my PAL. I'm not sure I actually have it in me to shoot anything, but if I do, I want it to be as quick and painless a dispatch as possible. I'll also check to make sure what I'm looking to do is legal before I pull the trigger (so to speak).

Cheers
John

Very wise, good man!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:44 pm 

You can blow the head off a skunk with a .30/30 and when you flip the skunk over - SPRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

My bro found out the hard way - well, the smelly way, at least.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:22 am 

IMO some of the airguns that Canadian Tire are crap (Beeman & Ruger), but that's just my opinion.
But occasionally a high end Crosman or Benjamin air rifle comes up for sale.

I have bought most of my airguns from other forum members, pawn shops or online stores.

Generally speaking an NP air rifle shoots with less vibration than a spring powered model. I have a Benjamin Trail All Weather NP. A nice rifle but the trigger needs work. You will find that most Crosman & Benjamin air rifles share the same lousy trigger mechanism.

As far as a non PAL airgun dispatching a skunk, I have to agree that unless you do a well placed head shot you won't humanely kill (and more importantly prevent spray) the skunk. A PAL rated .22 cal should kill a skunk with a lung/heart shot. Just have somebody else pick it up afterwards ;-)

I find that PAL rated airguns are quiet unless you are shooting light pellets. Then the crack of the pellet sounds like a .22LR.