Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:07 pm 

Stephanie wrote:
The quietest pistol I've ever used was the Daisy 747, which is an SSP. It was also very very accurate.

Compared to my other springers and CO2 pistols, the 747 was like a mouse sneezing. :)

I agree with Stephanie, I forgot about my Daisy Triumph 747, it sure is quiet, and a very nice shooter,
I guess the cheaper model is much the same?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:04 pm 

Stihltech wrote:
Just an opinion but, I think the suppressors are a prohibited device in their own right, regardless of what they are connected to.
I'm sure someone here will have a better understanding of the law in regards to this.

We went over this a couple of times, but the logic goes like this:

1) There is a thing called a "prohibited device" defined in the Criminal Code.
2) The section of the Criminal Code that actually makes it a crime to own a "prohibited device" is one of the sections for which a sub-500fps airgun isn't considered a firearm.
3) Since the thing that is prohibited is "a device to lower the report of a *firearm*", and a non-PAL airgun isn't considered a firearm *for that section*, I personally think that a device making it quieter is not actually a crime to own.

Now this would require building it in such a way that it couldn't be used on a real firearm, which might be tricky. But an integral shroud on a sub-500fps gun should be legal.

I, of course, am too concerned about the penalties to actually risk doing this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:24 pm 

This brings up two points for me.

First, it may be a grey area in the law, but are you willing to take that chance to prove it? I certainly am not.

And, two, you are talking about a sub 500fps gun ... generally, those are not loud enough to justify one anyway.

To me, it's a moot point.

No intention to offend anyone, just expressing what it looks like from my point of view.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:48 pm 

Stihltech wrote:
This brings up two points for me.

First, it may be a grey area in the law, but are you willing to take that chance to prove it? I certainly am not.

And, two, you are talking about a sub 500fps gun ... generally, those are not loud enough to justify one anyway.

To me, it's a moot point.

No intention to offend anyone, just expressing what it looks like from my point of view.

1) As I said, I'm not willing to take the chance.
2) Have you ever heard CO2 pistols? They're freaking LOUD, because most of them waste a lot of gas.

Ideally I'd like to be able to shoot a PCP gun in my basement at night when everyone else is sleeping, and I'd love if it was as quiet as the suppressed guns they have available in the USA and England. (Literally about as loud as snapping fingers.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:11 pm 

You are correct, I was forgetting about my PX4 ... under 500fps and if memory serves me, quite loud.
So ... what's left for options? since you are in Canada ... nothing that I can think of that's legal. And certainly nothing that can be discussed on here as it will get deleted within the first hour and possibly get you banned.
There are, however, other airgun sites that can be found that can describe how to make a home made silencer for an airgun. It is illegal in Canada so you'd be on your own, but it would allow you to do what you wish.
My only comment would be to proceed with caution and keep it to yourself.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC